New EoR review

U

unknown

(from uraniummusic.com)

Nevermore is an extremely polar band - you either love them or hate them. To many, they are the modern day answer to "classic" metal, fusing crushing thrash riffs with captivating vocal melody and guitar wizardry. To others, their melodic vocals and classic metal approach is off-putting and dated. Personally, I am a huge Nevermore fan. Their last album, "Dead Heart In A Dead World", was a phenominal record and a metal landmark to many.

It should come as no surprise that "Enemies Of Reality" is yet another exercise in metal perfection. Nevermore have once again brought out all of their strengths on this album: memorable, song-dominating vocal melodies, thrash drumming with technical flair, and inventive guitar solos. A number of songs are instantly memorable, a sign that Nevermore are indeed working their magic; songs such as "Enemies Of Reality", "I, Voyager", and "Seed Awakening" are instant hits thanks mostly in part to their song-defining choruses. As much as I am put off by linear and chorus-centered song writing, Nevermore know how to do it right.

Vocalist Warrel Dane is part of a dying breed of vocalists that exude charisma and endless presence on stage. Rarely can a modern metal band possess such a heavy disposition without shouts, barks, or growls, but Dane reminds us all of the merits in melodic vocals. His melodic delivery has the range and force of just about any power metal vocalist, however unlike the wailing, uber-treble power metal standard, his voice has thickness, body, and a subtle snarl to it. His performance on "Enemies Of Reality" is once again breathtaking, and although to many his voice is an acquired taste, you can't deny the power of his delivery. Guitarist/song-writer Jeff Loomis also deserves kudos; writing new material to follow an album that was declared "Perfect" by a reputable metal publication is not an easy task. "Enemies Of Reality" is still 100% Nevermore and highly refreshing; their core riffs are heavily rooted in thrash, with traces of grunge in both vocal melody and song style. As with any "true" metal release, their songs are riff-centered and full of guitar flair, and if you like guitar solos then you're in for a treat.

"Enemies Of Reality" is full of soon-to-be metal classics. The title track is an instant hit; upbeat verse tempos, hauntingly epic chorus melody, and plenty of guitar flair. The song's guitar solo is a show-stopping performance, with insane fret climbs that sound like a psychotic beast winding up for attack. "I, Voyager" stands out for its highly technical double bass drum work during the verse and an equally captivating vocal performance. "Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday" is the album's nod to the 80's metal ballad; it captures the emptiness and meloncholic disposition of such ballads without sounding too over-the-top.

So where does this album go wrong? I can't really answer that. "Enemies Of Reality" boasts just as much melody, inventive song-writing, and top-notch production as did "Dead Heart In A Dead World". Above all else it's a matter of enjoying the melodies that Jeff Loomis has so carefully crafted. The Nevermore foundation is still there and remains strong; this band isn't going to stop until "true" metal is resurrected in full.

why do reviewers always call Dead Heart the PERFECT nevermore album? and why didnt he review the other songs? it seems as tho those are all he has heard. if he had heard Create the Infinite, he would have definitely noted that... ahh well.. another great review!

dead6skin6mask6 said:
why do reviewers always call Dead Heart the PERFECT nevermore album?

I don't have a problem with it. I thought it was a phenomenal CD, and is my second favorite Nevermore disc (DNB being 1st). I know it's heresy for a die-hard Nevermore fan to prefer "DHiaDW" over "POE", but that's just how I see it.

GZ

Excellent review...would like to see some mention of Jeff's solo in "Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday"....might not be the fastest, but certainly is the most emotional in my opinion.

If you watch the live version of "A Change of Seasons" by Dream Theater on their DVD, you will know the definition of a solo with "feeling"

*laughs*

download the video "Speed Kills" by Michael Angelo. That has some REAL feeling in it

[/sarcasm]

but you could still check it out