Nevermore tuning?

There are a few Nevermore songs in the 7-string-era written (and played?) on a 6 string in drop tuning. Psalm of Lydia keeps getting mentioned, but I know for a fact that Seed Awakening is a 6 string dropped to C#. If it get's played live, then Jeff (and friend) would tune their 6th string down a whole step, and just ignore the 7th.

Jeff plays the 7 string guitar more like a standard guitar with an extra string; as a tool rather than a unique 7 stringed instrument.

Just so I'm clear, Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb would be exactly the same as drop C#, right?

There are a few Nevermore songs in the 7-string-era written (and played?) on a 6 string in drop tuning. Psalm of Lydia keeps getting mentioned, but I know for a fact that Seed Awakening is a 6 string dropped to C#. If it get's played live, then Jeff (and friend) would tune their 6th string down a whole step, and just ignore the 7th.

Jeff plays the 7 string guitar more like a standard guitar with an extra string; as a tool rather than a unique 7 stringed instrument.

Not to nit pick but just like what I do, I may not use C or B but I still use the 7th string for ease of use rather than tuning down a 6 string guitar. I have seen him play these songs on a 7 a few times and he didn't tune down. That's just what I saw.

Just so I'm clear, Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb would be exactly the same as drop C#, right?

I think this is why people are getting confused.

The terms "(de)tuned to C#" and "drop C# tuning" do not yield the same results.

What you describe above is a guitar linearly detuned to C# (C# being the lowest note of the E string in this case)

"Drop C#" would imply that the guitar is tuned to Eb, with the bottom string detuned a further whole step, down to C#.

In my experience with Senor Loomis, he doesn't ever use this "dropped tuning" technique. A lot of guitarists don't, simply because it means that you have to modify the fingering of all chords played on the bottom three strings. A bar chord becomes a chord you can now play with one finger. While this is less complicated for, and preferred by, some guitarists, it is also not something that a lot of guitarists like to do. I think Jeff falls into the latter category. I don't think I've ever seen him use this type of tuning technique at all.

That being said, he might have used something like that on the albums Nevermore have done with Andy. I'll give him a shout today and ask him.

I think this is why people are getting confused.

The terms "(de)tuned to C#" and "drop C# tuning" do not yield the same results.

What you describe above is a guitar linearly detuned to C# (C# being the lowest note of the E string in this case)

"Drop C#" would imply that the guitar is tuned to Eb, with the bottom string detuned a further whole step, down to C#.

In my experience with Senor Loomis, he doesn't ever use this "dropped tuning" technique. A lot of guitarists don't, simply because it means that you have to modify the fingering of all chords played on the bottom three strings. A bar chord becomes a chord you can now play with one finger. While this is less complicated for, and preferred by, some guitarists, it is also not something that a lot of guitarists like to do. I think Jeff falls into the latter category. I don't think I've ever seen him use this type of tuning technique at all.

That being said, he might have used something like that on the albums Nevermore have done with Andy. I'll give him a shout today and ask him.

Yes, but he was asking if Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb was the same as drop C#, which it is. You're just speaking in sharps instead of flats. If he de-tuned a half step instead of dropped, it would be Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb, which is the same as D# G# C# F# A# D#.

DADGBE is drop D tuning, Burti, like you said, and drop C tuning would be CGCFAD. If you raise it a half step, it would be drop C#. If you lowered it a half step, it would be drop B tuning, which is B Gb B E Ab Db

Standard tuning: EADGBE...drop that to drop D tuning = DADGBE

Standard tuning DETUNED one half step, whole step, two whole steps, 2.5 steps, etc. (not dropped) would be:

One half step: Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb (this is very common in Nevermore tuning)

One step: D G C F A D

One and a half steps, which I'll refer to as flats instead of sharps:

Db Gb B E Ab Db (My Dying Bride play in this tuning)

Two steps down (In Flames) C F Bb Eb G C

2.5 steps down (equivalent of 7 string): B E A D Gb B

I hope this clears up any confusion.

I spoke to Jeff about this today. This is what he told me.

"The only drop tuning i ever did was on the first CD on the song CBF.
Everything else is just a half step down.......d# etc.etc"

So I guess that's sorted.

:)

Straight from the horses mouth!

Although, I have seen Loomis use the Drop C# on the Psalm of Lydia instructional video on YouTube, so I dunno. I guess he just used it there for ease of playability instead of tuning his whole guitar down.

Actually, I just got an email from Jeff, who thought I was only asking about stuff that he and I had worked on together.

Jeff said that he did use dropped tuning on Lydia and also Seed Awakening, so you guys were all correct.

Actually, I just got an email from Jeff, who thought I was only asking about stuff that he and I had worked on together.

Jeff said that he did use dropped tuning on Lydia and also Seed Awakening, so you guys were all correct.

I just got an e-mail from your mom, whom i worked over last with my best friend. I planted my seed within her so, be prepared for another sibling.