New Agalloch

The music is good but a real vocalist would serve them well. Or someone distinct like David Gold (RIP). Its just the same generic raspy speak sing. Done a million times before.

I agree, the music is very good, but it seems the band has grown beyond Jon's vocal abilities, so to speak.

I found out about Agalloch right before Ashes came out and I was turned off by Jon's voice too at first, but it grows on you I think. Perhaps it's not very dynamic, but there's something to be said about his cadence and delivery that adds to the mood of the music.

I am an admitted fanboy of this band, and could not imagine them without John on vocals. It's just part of their sound.

That said, his style is very relaxed and hardly ever "in your face."

I implore you to check out their EP Faustian Echoes, however. He has some really intense angry moments in his harsh vocals on that one.

I am an admitted fanboy of this band, and could not imagine them without John on vocals. It's just part of their sound.

That said, his style is very relaxed and hardly ever "in your face."

I implore you to check out their EP Faustian Echoes, however. He has some really intense angry moments in his harsh vocals on that one.

Its still too samey for me. They should just sample Edward Woodward again and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do have awesome instrumental songs for those who don't like John's voice.

Also, "holding this band back"? From what? Touring internationally? Headlining Maryland Deathfest? Hmm.

Yeah, they are doing just fine.
While I wouldn't say John's vox are "holding them back" from a success standpoint, but from a musical exploratory perspective, I suppose.......

While it sounds great, the vocals make it sound like the same old / same old....

Novemebers Doom are a good example where I feel the vocal abilities of the frontman have grown along with the music.

Yeah, they are doing just fine.
While I wouldn't say John's vox are "holding them back" from a success standpoint, but from a musical exploratory perspective, I suppose.......

While it sounds great, the vocals make it sound like the same old / same old....

Novemebers Doom are a good example where I feel the vocal abilities of the frontman have grown along with the music.

Paul Kuhr would certainly be an asset to Agalloch.

Also, "holding this band back"? From what? Touring internationally? Headlining Maryland Deathfest? Hmm.
Not to mention they're one of the most critically acclaimed bands in Metal.

Paul Kuhr would certainly be an asset to Agalloch.
There's maybe three or four Death Metal bands on the planet that this statement wouldn't be true of.

Sorry I should've said holding them back from me listening to them more... My bad!

Enjoy them for all they are people and I hope the new disc is your favorite of the year....

Once again, admitted fanboy, but as prevalent as you think their style is now - it wasn't when they first came out. Alongside a few other bands like Empyrium or Dornenreich, there weren't a lot of people exploring black metal in the way Agalloch did back in the late 1990s.