New Agalloch

On 2nd play through now and loving it. These guys are masters of post-black soundscapes. Think Alcest or later era Drudkh. For those that complain about the "sameyness" of the vox than this style of music probably isn't for you. All the instruments and compositions are like that too, not just the vocals. They tend to drone and ride riffs and melodies for extended periods of time by design. There is no way the vocalist is "holding them back". He is doing exactly what the musical ideas call for. That said, there is some great angry raspy vox on here, but as Palabra said, they aren't in your face. If you like Agalloch, you will like this. Having been a fan since The Mantle and never seen them live I cannot wait until the tour. Got tix for the Chicago show and the Detroit. Hopefully their live representation lives up to the gold etched in the grooves!

On 2nd play through now and loving it. These guys are masters of post-black soundscapes. Think Alcest or later era Drudkh. For those that complain about the "sameyness" of the vox than this style of music probably isn't for you. All the instruments and compositions are like that too, not just the vocals. They tend to drone and ride riffs and melodies for extended periods of time by design. There is no way the vocalist is "holding them back". He is doing exactly what the musical ideas call for. That said, there is some great angry raspy vox on here, but as Palabra said, they aren't in your face. If you like Agalloch, you will like this. Having been a fan since The Mantle and never seen them live I cannot wait until the tour. Got tix for the Chicago show and the Detroit. Hopefully their live representation lives up to the gold etched in the grooves!

I think you nailed it on the head. Personally, I think the vocals fit the music quite well. No, at this point they aren't doing anything different, but it's still a good album.