New album Foregone out February 2023

What's interesting is that he recorded the demo from Abnegation with the previous vocal technique and it didn't pass that much time between that demo and the start of the ASOP sessions

Underneath My Skin came on today and you know what? If the instrumental section starting at 2:34 had Fredrik Nordstrom production, it would fit perfectly on Colony. The solo, the riffing underneath...it's vintage In Flames. And I didn't realize it until now because of the album's incredibly weak mixing.

Granted, I'm listening to it with the pitch modified up a semitone, which might make a difference.

Honestly I still don't know to thisbday how to Battles got through the band, the record label, and everyone else involved and no-one once suggested that the mixing could do with some work. Through My Eyes is the worst of the bunch, that's unlistenable. Constant jarring volume changes to the vocals and guitars, and a horrible cut mid vocal in the pre-chorus. Actually embarrassing.

Underneath My Skin came on today and you know what? If the instrumental section starting at 2:34 had Fredrik Nordstrom production, it would fit perfectly on Colony. The solo, the riffing underneath...it's vintage In Flames. And I didn't realize it until now because of the album's incredibly weak mixing.

Granted, I'm listening to it with the pitch modified up a semitone, which might make a difference.

I am not even going to dignify this with an answer. :err:

Honestly I still don't know to thisbday how to Battles got through the band, the record label, and everyone else involved and no-one once suggested that the mixing could do with some work. Through My Eyes is the worst of the bunch, that's unlistenable. Constant jarring volume changes to the vocals and guitars, and a horrible cut mid vocal in the pre-chorus. Actually embarrassing.

Hard to say. Anders and Bjorn either have extremely low standards or simply don't give a shit. Look at how the Clayman rerecordings turned out. These guys don't seem to know shit about decent metal production - which is weird when you consider Anders has fucking produced decent sounding metal albums. He owned a studio for fuck's sake. As much as I rip on Howard, to, he's an experienced producer who really should have known better. I appreciate he doesn't produce real metal, but even so, Battles is a fucking joke.

I want to see an economic analysis that says they are making more money with Benson. I doubt they are.

YOU RIPPED DA HEART OUT
YOU RIPPED DA HEART OUT OF MEEE

Can these lyrics be bested in the latest IF album? I can't wait to find out.

Reactions: eochaid
YOU RIPPED DA HEART OUT
YOU RIPPED DA HEART OUT OF MEEE

Can these lyrics be bested in the latest IF album? I can't wait to find out.
Not sure on the lyrics. I’m more focused on the music. Will they ever be able to craft a song more brutal than the crushing paragon of death metal, Everything’s Gone?

How about a song with higher soaring harmonies and virtuosity than Bottled? I have my doubts they will ever reach those heights again. But let us see.

Not sure on the lyrics. I’m more focused on the music. Will they ever be able to craft a song more brutal than the crushing paragon of death metal, Everything’s Gone?

Probably impossible. I nearly died when they played this live. The pit was so intense it legitimately created a mini black-hole and sucked Bryce Paul's brain into it.

How about a song with higher soaring harmonies and virtuosity than Bottled? I have my doubts they will ever reach those heights again. But let us see.

I'm sad that I can recall the opening riffs to Bottled. That is space in my brain that could be occupied by something far more useful.

You joke but Everything's Gone actually Fucks live.

Also unrelated, In Flames shared a pic on their social media stories of Tanner playing drums. Photographic proof that real drums have been used this time. Whether they make the album or get replaced by samples we shall see.

Interestingly, listening back, the one song with Tanner on I,TM - House - actually features real sounding drums compared to the rest of the album. Can definitely tell it was recorded separately to the rest. Song still sucks though.

I assume that they are with Benson because of the name and influence.

I think thats partly the reason why they also have Chris, Tanner and Bryce in their lineup, even for just recording and touring.
They are clearly trying to appeal to the US metalcore/rock crowd, its a big market. Thats people who grew up with Slipknot, Bring me the Horizon, A Day to Remember etc, so if they can tap into that market it could be lucrative.

For example Tanner has 41k instagram followers, Bryce has 20k. Chris B has 105k. By comparison Peter Iwers has 20k, Niclas Engelin has 25k.

Its a business more than anything.

Recent Instagram posts show that the drum and bass recording for the upcoming album is finished, and Chris Broderick is in the studio with the band. I assume he will be made a permanent member this year.

Broderick would actually be a fitting replacement for Engelin. He has a solid metal resume and is a fantastic guitarist. Fingers crossed that they lean on his expertise on the new album. I also had an extremely cringey experience with him the last time I saw IF live, so he's seared into my memory.

My theory is that In Flames was surprised by the negative reception to Siren Charms and, not sure what to do, went with a producer with a long history of making polished "hits" in the SiriusXM Octane American metal scene. Basically, they were just trying to find the safest landing after SC didn't go according to plan. I'd rather they'd stuck to their guns after SC and gone even crazier, but failing that, they could have at least reverted back to the SOAPF sound or kept IF Studios. But that's just a guess.

Last edited:
But Battles also had a negative reception. Maybe even worse than SC?

I actually prefer SC over Battles even though i rarely listen to either.

Battles is forgettable. There are a couple of songs that I like (In My Room, Save Me, Wallflower) but nothing else has stuck and production is terrible at best and guitar-wise nothing interesting.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor