New album Foregone out February 2023

There were a couple songs on ITM that were better/more interesting than the two THE songs. Maybe with some competition IF will finally get their asses in gear and work again for once. So, I wouldn’t write them off just yet.

Like... Uh... No. ITM was interesting when compared to the previous two efforts but is still far behind of what is... good. Even for IF standards. There's some kind of, as I would describe it, lack of energy in the band. And I don't see them doing better. Mostly because of their own attitude towards music.

To me, there's no comparison. THE two songs are better at any level when compared to ITM. Though, to be fair, that was not, really, a challenge.

Reactions: A88 and DE4life
Yeah, I'll give the new album a few spins when it comes out, but really the music I like and the people I like are in THE.

ITM has a few good songs...roughly 1/3 of the album (1/3 generic, 1/3 terrible). But none of them are anywhere near Feel What I Believe, and I expect even better songs on full THE album.

Reactions: eochaid
Nowadays a new IF album is more like a morbid curiosity for me. I don't have any expectations, I'm just interested to see what Hipster & Bjorn have come up with. Maybe there will be a couple of songs that are OK. You know for sure there will be at least a couple of absolute abominations. It's generally more fun to poke fun at IF in modern times than to listen to their music seriously.

THE meanwhile I have high expectations for, and will be taking their music and album much more seriously. So, there isn't really much comparison between the two. IF are (ironically) the court jesters of metal these days. It's difficult to take them seriously with their American bro bandmates, LA-rockstar wannabe personas and Howard Benson at the helm.

Reactions: eochaid and A88
I'm not really sure who is even in the band nowadays. Is Broderick a member? And that keyboard guy?

I went to their website, but Bio/About section is just some weird text about Battles and how they love Howard. There are some gems there though...

In a music scene full of seemingly endless subgenres and transient trends, In Flames are an example of what it means to steadfastly stay true to your vision.

finding a new collaborator in Grammy-nominated producer Howard Benson (My Chemical Romance, The Used ) who was brought into the band's coveted inner circle in order make Battles an album that will appeal to every type of In Flames fan.

In fact although the band were only planning on recording 11 songs they actually came away with 15 of them and this inspiration was partially due to Benson's influence on the overall process.

That confidence and palpable excitement is dripping all over Battles from the instantly infectious “take the power back” anthem “The Truth” to the jaw-dropping technical brutality of “Through My Eyes” and distinctive groove and climactic chorus of the album's title track.

That may sound like a cliché but it's true. We need the music to be as interesting to us as it is to our fans because this has never just been a job for us, it's a way of life.

which is ultimately due to the fact that the band have never tried to be something they're not

Lol they're so full of shit.

Last edited:
LOL :rofl: I hope the classic troll face is the background to their about/bio section, because that is straight up trolling the old school fans.

"In a music scene full of seemingly endless subgenres and transient trends, In Flames are an example of what it means to steadfastly stay true to your vision."

FFS, In Flames are literally the opposite of steadfastly staying true to a vision. They live on transient trends, from the embryonic MDM scene to the nu metal/metalcore scene to the Alt Metal scene to the depressive retard scene in 2016 and then whatever the fuck Howard Benson's In Flames is supposed to be. If Anders or Bjorn seriously believe that they are an example of bucking against trends and sticking to your vision they are fucking deluded.

No need to even comment on the rest of those quotes... IF propaganda ministry in overdrive.

"In a music scene full of seemingly endless subgenres and transient trends, In Flames are an example of what it means to steadfastly stay true to your vision."

Jesper back in 2014:

All respect to In Flames and their new approach, but for me the band was a guitar/riff based melodic death band – and it’s not anymore. It’s still amazing musicianship and I don’t think it’s wrong but it’s not the vision I had when we started out.

And yep, they aren't following any trend. Is just by pure coincidence that their music resembles, somehow, the new trends in modern metal music. They're are some kind of modern rebels, the last hope of the outcasts but, music is insisting on making them mainstream.

Last edited:
Firstly, fuck these guys for continuing to associate with an anti-vax nut like Bryce Paul.

Riffs start off sounding like something off Siren Charms, improving a bit towards the end.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor
Yep. That's definitely Bjorn's uninspired and lack of energy way of riffing.

And yes. Fuck them. At this point there's no excuse for them to keep on promoting this moron.

Yeah Bryce is a twat. Seriously don't understand why he's in the band. Even anti-vax aside he just seems like a douche. When I had VIP with the band a couple of years back he had a weird vibe. Tanner was hilarious though, cracking jokes and winding up Bjorn. I like him, he seems to fit in rather than feel like a glorified session musician.

The first half of the riff sounds very simple but the bit at the end sounds decent to me.

Tanner posted a video of his Instagram which he tagged Bjorn in, with some very Bjorn sounding riffing, possibly part of a demo for the new record?

Relatively speaking it sounds interesting, decent enough riff work. It's everything else that'll be around it I have my doubts about, if it is in fact a new IF song.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZuoTJxFbuk/?utm_medium=copy_link

I like how the harmonies are woven throughout the riffs; that hasn't been quite as prevalent in their music since Jesper left. Sounds good to me!

Tanner was hilarious though, cracking jokes and winding up Bjorn. I like him, he seems to fit in rather than feel like a glorified session musician.

The first half of the riff sounds very simple but the bit at the end sounds decent to me.

This will be Tanner's first album with the band where he'll be playing all the drums (Rickard played on most of ITM), so I'm curious to hear the result. He seems like a cool dude.

Yeah Bryce is a twat. Seriously don't understand why he's in the band. Even anti-vax aside he just seems like a douche. When I had VIP with the band a couple of years back he had a weird vibe. Tanner was hilarious though, cracking jokes and winding up Bjorn. I like him, he seems to fit in rather than feel like a glorified session musician.

I don't have a problem with Tanner. Seems like a cool dude, and Night Fiends is an interesting little side project. Not sure how they're planning to tour with Bryce on bass as a lot of countries will have vaccination mandates for entry for some time to come. Unless Bryce is one of these pricks who spews anti-vax BS but goes and gets himself vaccinated on the sly anyway.

Imo the best song to come out of the ASOP sessions (incl TMT EP) by far. The guitar tone and production as a whole is really weird, but it works. Not sure what happened to Anders between the TMT EP and ASOP. His voice still sounds good on the EP, but seems to be totally ruined by the time they record ASOP. There can't have been that much of a time difference between them being recorded.

Anyway, TMT EP as a whole is pretty solid. Mirror's Truth is one of the best ASOP tracks in general and awesome live, Eraser is excellent, Tilt is solid and Abnegation is nice too - although they should have let it remain raw, like the original demos.

Tilt is my favourite song from the album. I'm not sure that there was a time lapse between the EP and the album. In my mind all of the songs were recorded in the same session and the songs from the ep were the discards from the album. So, maybe, a lucky coincidence?

At the very least I think Tilt and Eraser were recorded in a different time period. They sound too different to everything else, especially Eraser's production.

At the very least I think Tilt and Eraser were recorded in a different time period. They sound too different to everything else, especially Eraser's production.

From watching the ASOP documentary years ago it seems they were all recorded in the same session as they were working on 16 songs (15 we know and the kinda infamous at this point missing song) and there was one bit where Anders was working on Eraser and he described it to the camera as a bit more of an old school track. The different production I don't know, all 4 tracks on the mirrors truth ep sound different and have different listed production teams. I think they were just trying to settle on a mix for the album possibly. Eraser sounds the best of the ASOP sessions, if the whole album was mixed like it then it would have been a shade better.

Reactions: DE4life
From watching the ASOP documentary years ago it seems they were all recorded in the same session as they were working on 16 songs (15 we know and the kinda infamous at this point missing song) and there was one bit where Anders was working on Eraser and he described it to the camera as a bit more of an old school track. The different production I don't know, all 4 tracks on the mirrors truth ep sound different and have different listed production teams. I think they were just trying to settle on a mix for the album possibly. Eraser sounds the best of the ASOP sessions, if the whole album was mixed like it then it would have been a shade better.

If they were experimenting I guess that makes sense as to why the tracks all sound different. Doesn't explain why Anders' vocals sound so much worse on ASOP compared to the EP, but maybe he decided he wanted to sound like shit on the album - at least he'd sound like something.

I find it hard to describe Eraser's production... chunky, I guess? The guitar tone is particularly strange, the guitars at times sound like keyboards. It doesn't hurt the song at all but I don't think I've ever heard another In Flames song that uses that kind of tone for the guitars.