New album Foregone out February 2023

THE is a melodeath album and that's just it. It's... Their own style. Sure it has some elements in common with... iF, DT or even Insomnium but that's just because it's classic melodeath.

But, apart from that, it has nothing to do with TJR or Whoracle. If you think that it does then you didn't listen to any of those albums enough (Days of the Lost included).

If replacing TJR Whoracle with Colony and Clayman in my post makes you feel better... Again, what is the point of trying to debate "seriously" when it's just replies and arguments in bad faith over and over again, because someone failed to cover all their bases. Yes, I mashed into my MDM-cred rant about TJR/Whoracle with Days of the Lost borrowing, throwing back to, evocating a bunch of older riffs, without any innovation. Okay, they did it with Colony and Clayman. You know it, I know it, but instead of reflecting on that, you chose to send that reply.

I'd understand if we were in a competition, because if it was for a prize money, then go ahead, have no mercy. But you make us run pointless circles for absolutely no reason. But this is kind of what I've been talking about when I said most of you had made up your mind already. There is no curiosity, there is no openness. DotL is 9/10, melodeath is saved, go fuck myself. Cool. But then why not make these arguments more fun by absolutely turning up our characters to 11, so at least everyone has fun, while the result is ultimately the same?

If replacing TJR Whoracle with Colony and Clayman in my post makes you feel better...
Lol. You don't understand shit. There's no Whoracle, Clayman or whatever you want to name because it simply doesn't sound like anything that IF would do. It's a different band with a different sound.

Reactions: DE4life
The fact you can interchangeably swap TJR, Whoracle, Clayman and any other MDM album is exactly why I say you don't really appreciate the genre. I mean, when you first arrived here you said TJR was boring and very recently said it sounds like it was recorded on a cheap Chinese microphone or something to that affect. Good faith to you essentially constitutes us forgetting everything you've said about classic IF and Jesper up until this point.

Reactions: eochaid
The quality of the production, or the mix, has nothing to do with the value of the songs. There are enough examples of great albums that sound like shit and shit albums with high quality production. So, judging an album for how it sounds, specially when it's one of the first albums from a new band in a newborn marginal genre it's a no.

Listened to the new song again today, and then it hit me... If you enjoy Anders autotuned "singing" and simple lyrics, why bother with IF? Just go and listen whatever top 10 pop/hiphop/"rock" songs are on the menu this week.

Much better autotune, much better songwriting, much better lyrics and some are even more brutal than modern IF take on writing scary riffs.

And I'm not even joking.

Reactions: eochaid
Listened to the new song again today, and then it hit me... If you enjoy Anders autotuned "singing" and simple lyrics, why bother with IF? Just go and listen whatever top 10 pop/hiphop/"rock" songs are on the menu this week.

Much better autotune, much better songwriting, much better lyrics and some are even more brutal than modern IF take on writing scary riffs.

And I'm not even joking.
Give examples of bands who are simultaneously more brutal and better autotune and I will listen. Otherwise, that is true only to YOU. For now the latest IF is the most brutal and autotuney music I know.

Lol. You don't understand shit. There's no Whoracle, Clayman or whatever you want to name because it simply doesn't sound like anything that IF would do. It's a different band with a different sound.
Is it vindicating seeing you two go full fanboy over that record, spouting as much horseshit as I may have about my own fanboyed records? Yes, it very much so is. You give sooooo much shit to IF fanboys, that this has to be carmic justice. Sounds NOTHING like Clayman, all right, all right. Keep telling yourself that madness.
The fact you can interchangeably swap TJR, Whoracle, Clayman and any other MDM album is exactly why I say you don't really appreciate the genre. I mean, when you first arrived here you said TJR was boring and very recently said it sounds like it was recorded on a cheap Chinese microphone or something to that affect. Good faith to you essentially constitutes us forgetting everything you've said about classic IF and Jesper up until this point.
It does sound extremely cheap. Listen to any properly mixed record and you will hear it. Once again nostalgia is being your achilles heel, and you are willing to die on the hill that TJR doesn't sound cheaply recorded. A fucking pseudo-demo record of pretty much nobodies in the early 90s. But no, you won't tolerte such slander. Maybe listen to Colony some, and get a feel for a clean, proper, not cheaped out mix.

Yes, I did find it boring, but I am seemingly capable of something you are not: changing opinions. I'm very far down on the list of people with this capability, but me outperforming you guys in this area is a really bad sign. It's like being outrun by a snail. You personally did have some second-thoughts about ASOP, so credit where its due.

Don't argue semantics. Fucking put in the title track from DotL and listen to it at least until the chorus finishes. Staright up Colony and Clayman. But tell me it ain't so. Tell me you are not hearing it. Write it down that you do not think DotL's bridge sound A N Y T H I N G like Swim's main riff. Tell me it doesn't start out like Embody the Invisible. Tell me you don't see the similarities in the verses with Episode 666, especially if you grab those runaways melodic harmonies from the riffs and structure them like DotL, so not riff-melody-riff-melody, but riff-riff-melody-melody. Not sure where I would place the chorus, because IF choruses are so heavy with Anders that it is hard to recall which song should I use as the best example for the similarities with the instrumental part.

I remember joining this forum because I'd just heard All For Me for the first time and I saw @DE4life shitting on it. Made zero sense to me. I'm still here somehow, lmao.

Its just confusing to read over and over from some of the same people here at album releases, especially one like this in which the band actually sounds good and inspired again.

I'd love to hear a music theory based explanation about the songs on this new album versus the songs on come clarity, as a 20+ year fan of the band I'd like to learn something or be able to condemn it entirely.

Speaking personally, I agreed with a lot of the takes here about Battles and I, the Mask. But now I feel like I'm back in the good old days of Soundtrack to Your Escape and Come Clarity where I listen to a new IF song and enjoy it, then go online and see everyone shitting on it, and I wonder if I'm listening to the same music ("Take This Life is a My Chemical Romance song" is my favorite take from my old MSN chat group). I feel like that's a sign of progress for the band.

The conversations around this band basically haven't changed for the past 20 years and I don't think they ever will, even if they release a true return-to-the-90s album in 2026.

New Shakira.

This reminds me of an old Ultimatemetal.com post on the Dark Tranquillity board from the mid-2000s where someone said In Flames, Sentenced, and Rihanna were all pop music. Wish I could find it because the poster seemed really pissed off, haha.

Give examples of bands who are simultaneously more brutal and better autotune and I will listen. Otherwise, that is true only to YOU. For now the latest IF is the most brutal and autotuney music I know.
Exactly. I liked the Post-Traumatic EP from BMTH, but that is an entirely different genre, that is pretty much modern nu metal. Northlane has some really catchy yet heavy songs, but it's pretty electronic and drum and bassy. Pendulum doesn't have scary riffs. I can't name any band which comes close to IF on this department.

This reminds me of an old Ultimatemetal.com post on the Dark Tranquillity board from the mid-2000s where someone said In Flames, Sentenced, and Rihanna were all pop music. Wish I could find it because the poster seemed really pissed off, haha.

Well, I was not talking about the music :rofl::rofl::rofl:. It was just a joke because new Shakira's is (brutal) about her ex-husband and his new girlfriend :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

I seriously thought that everybody knew about that.

I remember joining this forum because I'd just heard All For Me for the first time and I saw @DE4life shitting on it. Made zero sense to me. I'm still here somehow, lmao.

Speaking personally, I agreed with a lot of the takes here about Battles and I, the Mask. But now I feel like I'm back in the good old days of Soundtrack to Your Escape and Come Clarity where I listen to a new IF song and enjoy it, then go online and see everyone shitting on it, and I wonder if I'm listening to the same music ("Take This Life is a My Chemical Romance song" is my favorite take from my old MSN chat group). I feel like that's a sign of progress for the band.

Yo, still here, still hating All For Me. Basically the only song from SOAPF that I dislike.

Where are you seeing additional hate for new IF stuff outside of this forum out of curiosity? I'm reading nothing but praise everywhere else, "back to da rootz", "the good old days", "In Flames are back!!" etc...

What I hate about SOAPF is The Puzzle, Enter Tragedy, and Darker Times are like the same song. Among those 3 I will choose Darker Times.

Yo, still here, still hating All For Me. Basically the only song from SOAPF that I dislike.

Where are you seeing additional hate for new IF stuff outside of this forum out of curiosity? I'm reading nothing but praise everywhere else, "back to da rootz", "the good old days", "In Flames are back!!" etc...

Sputnikmusic and Metal Archives are just as critical of the new songs as they were with Battles and I the Mask, with a few positive comments peppered throughout.

Both sites tend to be pretty elitist, though. They're the kind of people who argue that the first two At the Gates records are the only good ones.

Is it vindicating seeing you two go full fanboy over that record, spouting as much horseshit as I may have about my own fanboyed records? Yes, it very much so is. You give sooooo much shit to IF fanboys, that this has to be carmic justice. Sounds NOTHING like Clayman, all right, all right. Keep telling yourself that madness.

I have no idea what you mean by this, honestly it sounds a bit unhinged.

It does sound extremely cheap. Listen to any properly mixed record and you will hear it. Once again nostalgia is being your achilles heel, and you are willing to die on the hill that TJR doesn't sound cheaply recorded. A fucking pseudo-demo record of pretty much nobodies in the early 90s. But no, you won't tolerte such slander. Maybe listen to Colony some, and get a feel for a clean, proper, not cheaped out mix.

Production and mix could be better, but you're going way overboard here. If you just reigned in the exaggerations your posts would be far easier to process.

Yes, I did find it boring, but I am seemingly capable of something you are not: changing opinions. I'm very far down on the list of people with this capability, but me outperforming you guys in this area is a really bad sign. It's like being outrun by a snail. You personally did have some second-thoughts about ASOP, so credit where its due.

Problem with you is that you come in so strong with your opinions that it obviously seems ridiculous when you do an about-face. You show no hint of contrition until the day you change your mind, then act like it's fine and we should forget everything you said before. That isn't how things work.

In regards to changing my mind on things - try TCP (live), Wallflower, STYE and parts of SC in the last year or so alone. All documented somewhere in this thread or one of the others.

Don't argue semantics. Fucking put in the title track from DotL and listen to it at least until the chorus finishes. Staright up Colony and Clayman. But tell me it ain't so. Tell me you are not hearing it. Write it down that you do not think DotL's bridge sound A N Y T H I N G like Swim's main riff. Tell me it doesn't start out like Embody the Invisible. Tell me you don't see the similarities in the verses with Episode 666, especially if you grab those runaways melodic harmonies from the riffs and structure them like DotL, so not riff-melody-riff-melody, but riff-riff-melody-melody. Not sure where I would place the chorus, because IF choruses are so heavy with Anders that it is hard to recall which song should I use as the best example for the similarities with the instrumental part.

What you're describing here is melodic death metal as a genre. In Flames are not the genre, they didn't create nor were they the only band to ever play it. This just reads like you've never listened to any MDM bands outside of In Flames from the late 90s/early 00s, because they were all doing similar things. Structurally especially MDM isn't a genre known for massive experimentation - most of the music produced is fairly straightforward in format. You get the odd band here or there who shake things up a little, but by and large MDM is a very safe genre with some common traits across the board. Bands branching outside of that are usually labelled as something else.

Sure, THE aren't doing anything unique or experimental, but if they were then they wouldn't be MDM! Not in the traditional sense, anyway. That's not what any of us are looking for from that band, and you can't seem to wrap your head around that simple idea. We wanted traditional, safe MDM from THE and that is what we got, something fresh but recognisable. What you're saying is, even though THE gave most of us exactly what we wanted, we should rate it as 5 or 6/10 because ... otherwise we might be labelled fanboys? Bro, I don't care. If I love something I'll say so, I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. The same if I think something sucks or is just average.

What I hate about SOAPF is The Puzzle, Enter Tragedy, and Darker Times are like the same song. Among those 3 I will choose Darker Times.

I love all of those tbh. Love The Puzzle's pounding rhythm and soaring chorus (even though the lyrics are pretty lame), love Enter Tragedy's shifting tempo, epic opening and groovy chorus, will agree that Darker Times is a little samey but still enjoy the song when it comes on.

Unpopular opinion but the production on this new IF album is way better than THE’s Days of the Lost. If nothing else, the new IF hits hard and I haven’t heard a single person shit on the guitar tone or any aspect of the music. That has got to be a first in about 20 years, although ITM sounded pretty decent. Every other album after Clayman has been FLAWED.

THE sounds flat in comparison.