New album Foregone out February 2023

He's been doing that for a long time now. So, there are two options. First one, he doesn't care. Second one, he's deaf so he cannot understand how bad his live cleans are. There's a third option. That he really believes that he's a fucking great singer. But that's so ridiculous that I have discarded it.

Now that I think about it, when they released SC Bjorn said that they have a very good singer. So there's the chance that all of them are drunken all of the time.

« Do they actually think this sounds good? Does he feel okay knowing he won't be able to sing any of this live without lip syncing tracks? Wasn't the entire reason they stopped doing so many guitar harmonies because they couldn't replicate it live? So why is it okay to do the exact same thing with vocals? »

This dude from reddit about Anders’ vocals gets a point.

I believe I asked this same question a few pages back. If it’s acceptable to layer Anders’ shitty vocals in a live setting, why can’t they use guitar backing tracks and play more old stuff? Answer? Because it’s never been about that. They don’t want to play those songs. They want to play their fucking pop inspired drivel and make the people “jump up and down.”

This band is a walking excuse.

Yeah, we've been highlighting the vocal/guitar live layering hypocrisy for like a decade on here :D old debate that ultimately can only be concluded by accepting the band are just making excuses to not play the older material.

Honestly I wish they'd never released anything after SOAPF. Setlist was already too difficult to cram songs into, and all they're doing is ensuring top tier songs will be pushed out in favour of completely inferior tracks that nobody really cares about.

Reactions: Xpyro125
For those who like Foregone it’s very cool to now be able to switch from the new album to Days of the Lost :kickass:

I just realized that there’s just Shadowminds whose I don’t like the main melody + the Trivium guy’s voice that I can’t stand but the rest is awesome.

If the production was the same as Foregone it would almost have been perfect :tickled:

Because Stanne’s voice clearly lacks autotune on his cleans…

Eh, I obviously don't care for Foregone, nor did I have any interest in Soilwork's latest release. ATG vocals largely ruin their songs these days, although if you can deal with horrifically autotuned Friden I suppose asthmatic gargoyle Lindberg is tolerable too. DT's Moment was okay, but can't say I listen to anything off it nowadays.

Holy shit, leave Kakko alone wtf. The first few SA records were fucking awesome and he still fills the niche they created, even though the last few SA records are pretty much disposable bar 1, sometimes even 2 songs from each record. The Ecliptica re-recording was shit because it is impossible to recreate the youthful energy of a first record. There are exceptions, because Joacim Cans was probably born with that voice and will still have it as an 80 year old, but in his case the re-recordings were not bad, just kinda redundant.

asthmatic gargoyle Lindberg
:lol:

DT's Moment was okay, but can't say I listen to anything off it nowadays.
Hate to say that but there’s indeed nothing too exciting about Moment.. Well produced, well executed but the melodies aren’t pleasant enough to my ears, just like Atoma. Except this one contains Clearing Sky witch is phenomnal, especially when played live.

Edit : I forgot about The Dark Unbroken in Moment that I find to be really beautiful

I believe I asked this same question a few pages back. If it’s acceptable to layer Anders’ shitty vocals in a live setting, why can’t they use guitar backing tracks and play more old stuff? Answer? Because it’s never been about that. They don’t want to play those songs. They want to play their fucking pop inspired drivel and make the people “jump up and down.”

This band is a walking excuse.

It was a shit excuse from the start.

You can do old IF songs justice with two guitars. I've seen it, I've heard it, I've done it.

I don't know how can you reproduce those Benson vocals live.

Sonata Arctica sounded decent to me when i saw them live back in 2009 which was... 15 years ago. I'm not a big fan of a band, but I don't remember singing being bad back then.

I enjoyed Moment a lot and had it in a steady rotation for about a month when it came out. I wouldn't say I got bored of it because I still think there are at least 4 or 5 really strong songs on it, but there is a very distinct atmosphere that is present throughout the entire album and its indeed very similar to Atoma's vibe and I'm just not in the mood for that often. When I am, it sounds great. Same goes for Katatonia's music for an instance, that's the best parallel I can make. It affects my mood and I can't listen to it randomly like that. I did enjoy Moment a lot more than Atoma which I found quite disjointed.
That being said I do wish DT would bring back some ferociousness and fierceness on the next album. Their keyboardist and drummer writing most of the material explains that, hopefully they will give the "new" guys some free reign next time because they are more than qualified.

Unrelated but this is what I've been jamming to this evening, what a fun 2000s modern mdm record with catchy choruses everywhere.

:lol:

Hate to say that but there’s indeed nothing too exciting about Moment.. Well produced, well executed but the melodies aren’t pleasant enough to my ears, just like Atoma. Except this one contains Clearing Sky witch is phenomnal, especially when played live.

Edit : I forgot about The Dark Unbroken in Moment that I find to be really beautiful

Yeah Clearing Skies is a really nice track. I quite like Encircled, title track, Faithless by Default and Our Proof of Life from Atoma as well. As far as Moment is concerned, Phantom Days, In Truth Divided, Failstate and Standstill are the tracks I come back to quite regularly. I didn't like Standstill initially, but one day it randomly came on and the chorus especially just clicked with me in a big way. In Truth Divided is just a really cool DT style ballad. Also have to note the absolute lack of processing on Stanne's cleans. I'm sure there's some autotune there, but it still sounds completely natural, unlike Anders.

Yeah Clearing Skies is a really nice track. I quite like Encircled, title track, Faithless by Default and Our Proof of Life from Atoma as well. As far as Moment is concerned, Phantom Days, In Truth Divided, Failstate and Standstill are the tracks I come back to quite regularly. I didn't like Standstill initially, but one day it randomly came on and the chorus especially just clicked with me in a big way. In Truth Divided is just a really cool DT style ballad. Also have to note the absolute lack of processing on Stanne's cleans. I'm sure there's some autotune there, but it still sounds completely natural, unlike Anders.

Stanne's cleans on Moment sound just perfect. The tone of his voice, just the slight hint of reverb on it, everything. Agreed on Standstill, what a great song. Also great guitar solo on that song. He seems incapable of writing a bad sounding (clean) chorus even if he doesn't stretch his range too much. He stays in a relatively narrow register that is his comfort zone but it never sounds boring regardless of how he flips his note choices.

Sounded great live too on the Atoma tour when I caught them. I couldn't say anything bad about Stanne even if I tried, absolute class.

Reactions: mindd and DE4life
Unless Benson teaches Anders how to put some stage light wires in his ass and electrocute himself on command, then he has no chance whatsoever of replicating most of these new choruses live. So what's the guy supposed to do?
Lol

Stanne's cleans on Moment sound just perfect. The tone of his voice, just the slight hint of reverb on it, everything. Agreed on Standstill, what a great song. Also great guitar solo on that song. He seems incapable of writing a bad sounding (clean) chorus even if he doesn't stretch his range too much. He stays in a relatively narrow register that is his comfort zone but it never sounds boring regardless of how he flips his note choices.

Sounded great live too on the Atoma tour when I caught them. I couldn't say anything bad about Stanne even if I tried, absolute class.

Agreed, I was actually slightly disappointed with his cleans on DotL, as I felt they were a step down from what I'd heard on Atoma and Moment. Not massively worse, but still not quite as good. I think it's a production/mixing thing, rather than a performance issue.

Unrelated but this is what I've been jamming to this evening, what a fun 2000s modern mdm record with catchy choruses everywhere.

Probably my fav Disarmonia Mundi track:

That's what you call an epic chorus, as opposed to the fake shit on Foregone.