New album Foregone out February 2023

This is not the worst IF album ever, but it is the one that interests me the least.

We had a release/leak, I gave it an honest chance and a spin. Didn't do much.

Tried again, and it was overshadowed by Fellowship lol. Then i moved to old Rhapsody stuff instead of listening to the new IF record. Weird.

Now I'm just waiting for the new Insomnium record to be released.

Reactions: DE4life
I never thought I'd see the day where an IF record broke A88 to the point where he'd end up listening to good old traditional power metal :D both a great and a tragic day.

Jeez, I think you guys have been reading too many of the early forum topics on here :D Clayman is fantastic. Practically any legendary song would sound like shit if put through the Clayman 2020 filter. There's not a single song on Clayman I'd rate lower than 8 and most are 9 or 10. If good production mattered that much I'd be giving Foregone the same marks, rather than mostly 5 and 6's, so I think some of these takes are pretty exaggerated.

I think it's a bit uneven and there are some songs that don't work for me on there, but I like Clayman overall. I meant that the album could've easily been considered the one where they went to shit had Nordstrom not produced it -- in that sense, it was "saved" from Reroute's fate. Of course, you do have some of those people who think it's where they started to suck anyway. :D

Reactions: galvanized
I think it's a bit uneven and there are some songs that don't work for me on there, but I like Clayman overall. I meant that the album could've easily been considered the one where they went to shit had Nordstrom not produced it -- in that sense, it was "saved" from Reroute's fate. Of course, you do have some of those people who think it's where they started to suck anyway. :D

I get it from that perspective, that if Nordstrom hadn't been involved as a whole we likely would have had Reroute two years early. He basically forced Jesper and Bjorn to put effort in, and ignored Anders' whining about wanting to sing. So yeah, as a producer he likely did save that record.

simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Maybe you two guys should give it another try :heh:

I don’t think it’s worth it concerning @Gums though :lol:
I have yet done that. And, I'm less interested in the album than before doing that. It's like it's clicking all the wrong places. To say it other way, it's not the kind of music that I'm interested in.

And, this. I grew up listening to singers that could sing or, if they couldn't, then they were not pretentious wannabes. I can't stand all the fakery that is this band now.

Last edited:
:D Fabio Lione is your limit?
The Twilight Force guy definitely has the traditional power metal voice. Definitely reminds me of Rhapsody and the others.

The Fellowship guy has a really unique voice I haven’t really heard before. There some things he does with his voice that really stand out. I don’t know if it’s technically harder than what the Twilight guy can do, but it does make think “wow this guy is talented”. Example, in Atlas at 1:25 (when he sings “in fables”)

“Fickle is the trust that I, in fables, trust to see”

Or at 2:43 “guilt imbue”
“With guilt imbue ‘til I grow old”

Dude these lyrics are fxxking crazy, like Shakespeare or Sir Malory wrote them themselves or something. I hadn’t read any of them until now…

Reactions: DE4life
Tried again, and it was overshadowed by Fellowship lol. Then i moved to old Rhapsody stuff instead of listening to the new IF record. Weird.

Now I'm just waiting for the new Insomnium record to be released.

Since you guys are talking about power/prog, not exactly new but youtube recommended me Paralydium. It's some kind of Syphony X worship style of power/prog, but it features on vocals the dude from Degradead and Engel. I always liked his vocals a lot in context of MDM and I like them here, it's devoid of all the usual power/prog cliches that I can't stand (that one copy-paste style of vibrato). Anyway it sounds like those 90s prog bands to me, in a good way. Live singing with very little after-polish from what I can tell. Very tasteful guitar playing too.

As far as Insomnium goes, I have very low expectations for the new album.

Since you guys are talking about power/prog, not exactly new but youtube recommended me Paralydium. It's some kind of Syphony X worship style of power/prog, but it features on vocals the dude from Degradead and Engel. I always liked his vocals a lot in context of MDM and I like them here, it's devoid of all the usual power/prog cliches that I can't stand (that one copy-paste style of vibrato). Anyway it sounds like those 90s prog bands to me, in a good way. Live singing with very little after-polish from what I can tell. Very tasteful guitar playing too.

As far as Insomnium goes, I have very low expectations for the new album.

Thanks dude, just downloaded to my library for listening. These songs are sounding really good so far.

Reactions: drawntoblack
« Do they actually think this sounds good? Does he feel okay knowing he won't be able to sing any of this live without lip syncing tracks? Wasn't the entire reason they stopped doing so many guitar harmonies because they couldn't replicate it live? So why is it okay to do the exact same thing with vocals? »

This dude from reddit about Anders’ vocals gets a point.

The Twilight Force guy definitely has the traditional power metal voice. Definitely reminds me of Rhapsody and the others.

The Fellowship guy has a really unique voice I haven’t really heard before. There some things he does with his voice that really stand out. I don’t know if it’s technically harder than what the Twilight guy can do, but it does make think “wow this guy is talented”. Example, in Atlas at 1:25 (when he sings “in fables”)

“Fickle is the trust that I, in fables, trust to see”

Or at 2:43 “guilt imbue”
“With guilt imbue ‘til I grow old”

Dude these lyrics are fxxking crazy, like Shakespeare or Sir Malory wrote them themselves or something. I hadn’t read any of them until now…

Yeah I don't mind that traditional PM voice, but can understand people like @A88 being annoyed by it. Not my favourite vocal style either in all honesty, but if the music behind the vocals is great then I can roll with it.

As far as Fellowship vocals, yeah, they are unique and excellent. From what I read the guy was originally from the Prog scene, and said he wasn't sure if his vocals would fit into Power Metal. Turns out they're pretty much perfect for the genre, imo anyway. I believe he may also be classically trained, and guys and girls like that always have incredible control over their voices. Probably my favourite vocal section is in Saint Beyond the River...

Starting at 02:02... look, I ain't into dudes, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't swooning just a little. Also love how it transitions out from that into the guitar melodies.

Closest comparison I can think of, vocally, would be Mathias Blad from Falconer.

Great band, who I think even @A88 is a fan of, and aren't what you'd consider traditional PM. Really good though.

Lyrically, yeah, Fellowship is also top notch. Maybe not too much of a surprise, considering they actually released a self-published novel alongside the album. Always nice when a band takes that side of things seriously too. Favourite lyrics for me are from Scars and Shrapnel Wounds. One of the best songs as a whole from the album in my opinion, but I just love this verse:

"'Cause there's always things that scream at me from the darkness
And there's always, yet more wars left to fight
But I wouldn't change this destiny if you asked me
'Cause isn't destiny just how we choose to live our lives?"

In general I just love how the song is balanced between "life is fucking difficult and painful" and "this made me who I am, I wouldn't change a second". Whereas with a certain Mr A. Friden it would be all misery and heartbreak. Or he'd be telling us he'll set us free or some bullshit.

But yeah, overall just a fantastic album by a bunch of dudes who clearly put a major amount of effort into their work. That's what I love about listening to good younger bands starting out - that passion, enthusiasm, taking risks and putting it all out there. It's what IF were doing with TJR 27 years ago, what DT were doing with Skydancer and The Gallery, what Soilwork were doing with Chainheart Machine/Predator's Portrait... these guys may become better musicians, by some metrics, over time... but nothing can replace that youthful exuberence that just radiates off albums by young, hungry bands.

Reactions: galvanized
Also, listening to Fellowship reminded me of another young PM band that produced an album alongside a novel - Lorenguard. They only ever released one album and then split up I think, but if you like Fellowship I'd recommend giving them a listen anyway. I thought they sounded fantastic, and again another vocalist who had great control of his voice and was somewhat atypical for the genre:

« Do they actually think this sounds good? Does he feel okay knowing he won't be able to sing any of this live without lip syncing tracks? Wasn't the entire reason they stopped doing so many guitar harmonies because they couldn't replicate it live? So why is it okay to do the exact same thing with vocals? »

This dude from reddit about Anders’ vocals gets a point.

100%. The whole thing doesn't make sense. It doesn't appear to be consistent with how they promoted the album. It isn't consistent with their song choices and performances live.
Anders seems to be having the time of his life up there, actually able to hold his own next to gifted musicians on stage and putting out genuinely impressive performances. So who the hell convinced him to autotune the shit out of 80% of the album's choruses and do this weird scream shit like someone is grabbing his dick in the middle of singing a word?
At this point I don't see them ever doing 5 layers of guitar melodies again. But I thought they might be onto something with the Anders 3.0, heavy groovy live angle. The guy growled his way through songs like I hadn't heard before, which brought a whole new dimension to them imo. Then they go and release this nonsense, it sounds like shit and they can't even perform it!

Reactions: Xpyro125
This album is like the audio equivalent of being forced to watch incest pedophilia. ...
Everyone who likes this must somehow be hardened to this sort of thing. I don't know what kind of weird stuff these people are into.
lmao I missed this. This fanbase, man. Lars Ulrich has it easy.