New album Foregone out February 2023

It doesn't help that he's also paired with a woefully underqualified interviewer, who is incapable of asking follow-up questions on her own. Anders literally said they argue about the setlists, which just opened up a plethorra of potential questions on its own, but no, onto the next one.

Tbf "best song" would stump me as well. I could give an answer, but it would be based on nostalgia and being blown away by it as a teenage. I think it's a fucking stupid question overall and you should never go deeper than "best record", unless you want to ask about a specific band or artist.

Well yeah it's a fucking dumb question, but no need for Anders to spend an hour philosophising about what 'best song' might mean in every possible fucking context. Just go for your favourite song at the moment, favourite AiC song, whatever. Pivot to something more sensible rather than doubling down on the stupidity.

Ex-IN FLAMES guitarist Jesper Strömblad says that he and his former bandmates were "going in two completely different directions" prior to his exit from the group more than a decade ago.

Strömblad, who quit IN FLAMES in February 2010 in order to continue receiving treatment for his alcohol addiction, made his latest comments while speaking to the "Scars And Guitars" podcast about the upcoming third album from his CYHRA project, "The Vertigo Trigger".

Reflecting on the final album he made with IN FLAMES, 2008's "A Sense Of Purpose", Jesper said: "[That] one was too much hassle… Not 'hassle', but we were going in two completely different directions. I wanted to stay death metal-ish and certain individuals wanted to go more radio friendly. And it was not a good time in the band, so I decided to leave, actually. Because I felt when I was on tour… I remember one of the last shows I did, I was watching the audience and I wished I was one of the guys in the audience. 'I don't wanna stand up here.' And I didn't feel that it was fair to the people who come to see the band. And it was not fair to me or the other members. That's when I decided to leave."

Regarding IN FLAMES' musical evolution after his departure from the band, Jesper said: "They drastically changed. Maybe not the album after, but the later ones that came out. But they still have Björn [Gelotte, IN FLAMES guitarist writing the songs]… Something got lost, of course — something got lost. When I left, Björn was without his [songwriting partner]. He did everything himself, and they did a great job, I think. But for me, a little bit the soul disappeared, and it doesn't have to do with me, but it has to do with [the fact that] the last original member left the band, I think a little bit. But they're still doing great. They're an institution. They still play to huge crowds at festivals and are doing a good job and have great musicians with them."

Back in 2017, Jesper told Metal Wani about IN FLAMES' then-latest album, 2016's "Battles": "To be honest, I think they should actually change the name, because it's such a huge, huge difference from the beginning. But if that's the way they wanna do it, fine. And they're happy with the new members, so good luck to them. Everyone is in the right place."

Strömblad went on to clarify: "I didn't say that 'Battles' sucks ass — that's not what I said. It's just it's very… They have developed so much in a [different] direction."

During the Metal Wani chat, Strömblad went on to say that some of the albums he made with IN FLAMES continued to be unfairly criticized by the band's fans, many of whom still expected the group to make new music in the vein of its more obscure earlier material.

"I think that 'A Sense Of Purpose' is a very underrated album, actually," he said. "'Cause I think that had all the elements that IN FLAMES is about, but it got so much shit [from the fans]. It's [viewed as] the worst album, if people vote [for the top album in IN FLAMES' discography]. They hate it, and I can't get that, actually."

Honestly, that makes a ton of sense as to why he left. It's an answer that overall encompasses pretty much all the different things that fans figured (Aside from bullshit crackpot theories).

I will say, even though I do think ASoP has most of the elements that made up In Flames (The melodies there being something Foregone seriously lacked), I do still believe it's not nearly as good as the rest of their discography. It's definitely not the worst, but when you have Battles and Siren Charms (Which I rank higher than ASoP depending on the day), of course it isn't.

It is always nice to hear Jesper's thoughts on all of it though.

It's hard to deny that their sound drastically changed after he left. To me even SOAPF is radically different from ASOP.

Agreed with Jesper that ASOP is underrated. The hate for it influenced my thinking back in the day. I relistened to their whole discography a while back and I was blown away at how much I liked ASOP. Anders and the production drag it down, but I guess those elements don't bother me as much as they used to. Disconnected being a prime example -- instrumentally it's utterly fantastic, but it's Anders' performance and the lyrics that get all the attention, hence its bad reputation.

Anders' horrible performance on ASOP is too bad for me to ignore, considering his vocals are all over most of the tracks. Production isn't great but it's mainly the guitar sound for me that needs changing. It's too chunky and unpleasant to my ears. The difference between ASOP and something like SC or Battles is that ASOP is redeemable. Amend the production, rerecord the vocals and you have yourself a decent album. No amount of tweaking the production or rerecording vocals could save SC or Battles. You basically need to rewrite everything and start again with both.

Lyrically ASOP isn't really that bad. A couple of hilariously bad tracks in that regard, but overall it's not significantly worse than most of what came before it, and better than a lot of what came after it.

Oh, also the artwork for ASOP is hands down the worst out of all IF albums. Not even close for me.

Insofar as Jesper's comments are concerned, he's pretty much said all this before. Say that Anders was the problem without saying it. Kind of ironic for him to be talking negatively about a band shifting towards a radio-friendly sound when discussing Cyhra though, isn't it?

Insofar as Jesper's comments are concerned, he's pretty much said all this before. Say that Anders was the problem without saying it. Kind of ironic for him to be talking negatively about a band shifting towards a radio-friendly sound when discussing Cyhra though, isn't it?

Jesper is probably the least important member of Cyhra and that band was meant to sound like shit from its inception. And while on topic of Cyhra, I never liked anything from them and after listening to the interview I posted, I find the Jake dude extremely annoying. Always interjecting and cutting Jesper off.

I agree about ASOP's cover, and its not just the cover but the whole artstyle aesthetic they were going for with that era, it looks like a hipster coloring book. ASOP era is just one bad choice after another: shitty new producer, new dude mixing the record, shitty visual representation, shitty production choices in the studio, everything. What a wasted potential. I've listened to that record so much when it came out that its sort of permanently engraved in my mind but nowadays I can't get more than 3 songs in, the guitar and vocal sound is too grating and fatigue-inducing.

Too bad Jake started to be fed up with the In Flames related questions 32:14 "we don't have much time left, let's see if we have anything more with the album".

That's all I was actually interested in.

I agree about ASOP's cover, and its not just the cover but the whole artstyle aesthetic they were going for with that era, it looks like a hipster coloring book. ASOP era is just one bad choice after another: shitty new producer, new dude mixing the record, shitty visual representation, shitty production choices in the studio, everything. What a wasted potential. I've listened to that record so much when it came out that its sort of permanently engraved in my mind but nowadays I can't get more than 3 songs in, the guitar and vocal sound is too grating and fatigue-inducing.

Pretty much the same for me. I hypnotised myself into thinking ASOP was good when it came out, but it was less than a year before I realised it was kind of garbage. On record, at least. A lot of the songs sound fine live. Much like STYE, it's a case of "this is what you could/should have had".

Reactions: Xpyro125
Anders' horrible performance on ASOP is too bad for me to ignore, considering his vocals are all over most of the tracks. Production isn't great but it's mainly the guitar sound for me that needs changing. It's too chunky and unpleasant to my ears. The difference between ASOP and something like SC or Battles is that ASOP is redeemable. Amend the production, rerecord the vocals and you have yourself a decent album. No amount of tweaking the production or rerecording vocals could save SC or Battles. You basically need to rewrite everything and start again with both.

Lyrically ASOP isn't really that bad. A couple of hilariously bad tracks in that regard, but overall it's not significantly worse than most of what came before it, and better than a lot of what came after it.

Oh, also the artwork for ASOP is hands down the worst out of all IF albums. Not even close for me.

The guitar tone is easily the worst part of it for me. I can't fucking stand it, and the amateur production does absolutely no favors for it. It's baffling how the band listened to how tight and simply good Come Clarity sounded tonally and production-wise and threw that out the window for ASoP.

I hate ASoP's lyrics- Nothing objectively bad, but it's so disingenuously emo (Save for something like "Disconnected", which I'd actually argue is the most genuine fucking thing on the album) that it (Along with the other issues) completely turns me off from some of the more redeemable songs. The vocals are definitely both an issue and an acquired taste, but there are absolutely bright spots which don't get mentioned much.

The artwork fucking sucks because it's almost really fucking cool. I love all the different vibrant colors on it, particularly since that isn't usually a thing for IF's album covers, and the blue for the central color is what I've come to identify most with ASoP even over actual musical qualities. The design of the tendril things are also really nice here, even if they do dumb it down in the Delights and Angers cover. That being said, it's just fucking stupid. I don't know too many people who like the owl-man thing, and I wish that they didn't just do a half measure with its design. The unrecognizability and change is only really a thing on The Mirror's Truth's cover (It wasn't great there, but it made sense), and the fact that they didn't take it any further aside from giving the bastard a broken spine is disappointing. That, and the whole gate at the end is dumb, the ridiculously low walls are dumb, and the Nightmare on Elm Street reference, while nice, is just fucking goofy.

I feel like Jesper's taking just as much of a shot at Bjorn here, if not more of one. Anders undoubtedly had a say in the matter, but Bjorn and Jesper were the two who ultimately made the final decision on both the songwriting and direction. There's a lot of talk here about how In Flames changed because of how Bjorn operated, rather than Anders, though the 'certain individuals' definitely implies that it's also partially Anders.
Jesper is probably the least important member of Cyhra and that band was meant to sound like shit from its inception. And while on topic of Cyhra, I never liked anything from them and after listening to the interview I posted, I find the Jake dude extremely annoying. Always interjecting and cutting Jesper off.

I actually don't think it was meant to from the beginning. They were definitely going for melodic metal, but it was absolutely something with soul at first, and it was something that was more of a meeting of the minds between all members involved (I guess Peter was there too) and a sound that you could hear everyone's influence on (Hi, Peter, you were there too). Letters was a completely different Cyhra- One that gave a fuck about giving fans a piece of everyone involved, one that crafted actual quality melodies, and one that actually showed the friendship between the people involved rather than something transactional. It's felt like a fucking ego trip for Jake since, with the only thing mattering now being making generic arena metal hits that'll vaguely get a crowd jumping up, moshing, and poorly reciting the tagline of a chorus. Alex seems checked out, with his playing kinda just being there these days (His drumming was fantastic on Letters), and Euge seems like he's being held at gunpoint to do everything (Which even then, Jake wants his ideas to go through, 21:00-21:35 of the video really does say that) except make content for the community and actually talk to them, which he seems to genuinely really enjoy doing. I got involved in the community after Letters came out (Up until No Halos came out), and I got to interact with everyone but Jake. Everyone seemed really proud of the record, and I even got to understand little things about Letters and about the band from everyone- Euge especially. Aside from his little livestream interviews, Jake doesn't interact with the community whatsoever, which is fucking baffling to me after hearing about how there was in-fighting in Amaranthe because certain members (Likely Elize and Olof) wanted to charge for meet and greets while he refused to. Unless if that was a complete and utter lie, it's just strange to me that Jake really doesn't involve himself with Cyhra's fans all that much.

After Letters, yeah, Cyhra decided to "go heavier to make more suitable songs for live performances" (Which is a decision I wouldn't entirely disagree with on its own) by sacrificing any sort of soul, melodies, sensible lyrics, and actual quality musicianship. That mantra became all that mattered when it came to the music going forward- And they got successful from doing it. I know Jesper's finally back as some sort of big part of the band, at least on the surface, but I still have absolutely no hope for them. There isn't the issue of needing his name to have his fans anymore- They already have their own army. They just want to have their cake and eat it too.

Too bad Jake started to be fed up with the In Flames related questions 32:14 "we don't have much time left, let's see if we have anything more with the album".

That's all I was actually interested in.
Another aggravating thing is that not even a minute later, he pretty much goes on to more or less explain "Yeah, we don't want to experiment with anything, we just want to be the band you can sing along with and enjoy live, and just naturally evolve the core sound"

My brother in Christ, if you don't fucking experiment, then your albums are going to get homogenous and boring, same as how you felt all of Iron Maiden's albums sounded the same.

The fascinating thing is that the guy said in the comments that he wanted to get a one-on-one interview with Jesper, but that Jesper doesn't really do those. While I like the interplay between him and others (Some interviews with Bjorn or Jake), it's just clear that Jake only gives a fuck about his own stuff here. The interview wasn't supposed to be about him or his opinions, he was brought along by Jesper so that he'd feel comfortable enough to do the interview. Why the fuck does he have to make it all about himself?

21:00-21:35 is absolutely beautiful though, I wish those moments happened more often during the writing process.

Reactions: Moonshield_
My impression of this Jake character is that he got a bit misled by how marketable Amaranthe's lemonade music was and that he thought his name was big enough to diverge a chunk of that band's fanbase towards his (then) new band. Meanwhile 3 albums into their career Cyhra still has to make a dent of an impact and they suffer from a major identity crisis. Even if you want to be objective, the new album sucks equally like the new IF record. I just don't see who is this music supposed to appeal to and have as its target audience.

Slightly offtopic but I just read that Dark Tranquillity parted ways with Chris Amott. I've also seen some youtube footage that was kind of recentish with just one guitar player. Not sure what is going on in their camp but could be a side effect of The Halo Effect kicking in gear as a full time band too. Hopefully Jesper gets more involved with songwriting and playing with them because he is wasting away as it currently stands. He is 50, turning 51 in a few months and if he didn't get his shit in check until now - lets be honest, he most likely never will and I doubt we will hear any actual music from him again. By music I mean something that isn't a riff here or a small melody there on majority of someone else's stuff.

My thoughts on ASOP are... Overall, I like it. I don't care that much about lyrics or the guitar tone. It's worse than everything that they had done before but I still like it more than anything that came after it. Maybe because of the missing bits that are in every album after Jesper's departure.

And, I'm not saying that it's a good or great album. It's not. But I can listen to it with a few exceptions.

Also, at this point, it's not as if I'm listening to the albums individually. I just have all of them downloaded and then use the random function from my phone.

The guitar tone is easily the worst part of it for me. I can't fucking stand it, and the amateur production does absolutely no favors for it. It's baffling how the band listened to how tight and simply good Come Clarity sounded tonally and production-wise and threw that out the window for ASoP.

Pretty much, yeah. As soon as you hear the first five seconds of Mirror's Truth you know you're in for a bad time as far as the guitar sound is concerned. It's really bad. The sound is also, in general, far too compressed which gives the entire album a really muted vibe. Galvanized's phone speaker syndrome I guess. All I know is when you hear ASOP songs live they sound way, way better than what you hear on the album. Vocals are better, production is better. STYE all over again.

I hate ASoP's lyrics- Nothing objectively bad, but it's so disingenuously emo (Save for something like "Disconnected", which I'd actually argue is the most genuine fucking thing on the album) that it (Along with the other issues) completely turns me off from some of the more redeemable songs. The vocals are definitely both an issue and an acquired taste, but there are absolutely bright spots which don't get mentioned much.

The artwork fucking sucks because it's almost really fucking cool. I love all the different vibrant colors on it, particularly since that isn't usually a thing for IF's album covers, and the blue for the central color is what I've come to identify most with ASoP even over actual musical qualities. The design of the tendril things are also really nice here, even if they do dumb it down in the Delights and Angers cover. That being said, it's just fucking stupid. I don't know too many people who like the owl-man thing, and I wish that they didn't just do a half measure with its design. The unrecognizability and change is only really a thing on The Mirror's Truth's cover (It wasn't great there, but it made sense), and the fact that they didn't take it any further aside from giving the bastard a broken spine is disappointing. That, and the whole gate at the end is dumb, the ridiculously low walls are dumb, and the Nightmare on Elm Street reference, while nice, is just fucking goofy.

Whilst the lyrics are pretty mundane, especially compared to what Anders had been doing, it was really just the continuation of a trend that had been happening since Reroute. STYE and CC had a lot of emo-sounding lyrics and song titles, ASOP just took it to the next level. Overall though it's only really Disconnected and Delight and Angers I have a major problem with. The rest are just average.

I agree that there is something there with the artwork, but the way it was executed just isn't it. It might work for another band, but I don't think the aesthetic suits In Flames at all. Everything about it just screams 'this is for 13 year old boys' which obviously isn't the demographic I fall into, and I doubt it's the demographic many IF fans in 2008 were a part of. Tbf the lyrics match that, so maybe this was the aim, for whatever reason.

I feel like Jesper's taking just as much of a shot at Bjorn here, if not more of one. Anders undoubtedly had a say in the matter, but Bjorn and Jesper were the two who ultimately made the final decision on both the songwriting and direction. There's a lot of talk here about how In Flames changed because of how Bjorn operated, rather than Anders, though the 'certain individuals' definitely implies that it's also partially Anders.

Idk, from what I was reading it was basically like "Bjorn is the only actual musician in the band, and he's doing the best he can by himself". Jesper and Bjorn are still on good terms as far as I'm aware, so I can't imagine Jesper would intentionally take shots at Bjorn. As for Anders... well, after Anders' pathetic behaviour regarding THE he deserves a few shots in his direction tbh.

Slightly offtopic but I just read that Dark Tranquillity parted ways with Chris Amott. I've also seen some youtube footage that was kind of recentish with just one guitar player. Not sure what is going on in their camp but could be a side effect of The Halo Effect kicking in gear as a full time band too. Hopefully Jesper gets more involved with songwriting and playing with them because he is wasting away as it currently stands. He is 50, turning 51 in a few months and if he didn't get his shit in check until now - lets be honest, he most likely never will and I doubt we will hear any actual music from him again. By music I mean something that isn't a riff here or a small melody there on majority of someone else's stuff.

I mean, there was nothing I could distinguish as being particularly influenced by Amott on Moment, so it might just be a case of moving on as there's nothing there creatively for him. DT is a very specific sound that doesn't deviate tremendously, so there isn't really a whole lot of room for artistic expression there.

Amott is talented, but he felt like a hired gun for the band -- I always had a feeling he wouldn't be there for more than a few years. In contrast, Reinholdz has been putting a lot of work in on the creative side; he seems like a lifer to me.

Excited to see them announce their new lead guitarist Jesper Stromblad.

• Haha
Reactions: drawntoblack
My impression of this Jake character is that he got a bit misled by how marketable Amaranthe's lemonade music was and that he thought his name was big enough to diverge a chunk of that band's fanbase towards his (then) new band. Meanwhile 3 albums into their career Cyhra still has to make a dent of an impact and they suffer from a major identity crisis. Even if you want to be objective, the new album sucks equally like the new IF record. I just don't see who is this music supposed to appeal to and have as its target audience.

I read that Amott was absent from Bloodstock 2022 because he wanted to stay at home and spend time with his family. I think that that's probably part of it, but I also think that it's because he wants to do more creatively too. Either way, it does suck that he left, but at least he's trying a hell of a lot more than his brother.

Reactions: drawntoblack
If Jesper didn't have his non-music related issues, he would've stayed in the band. He could've left after the STYE sessions, but he didn't. The real tone-shift travesty only happened after the third studio album since his departure. The band - sadly - lost its metal-edge with him, so SOAPF and SC do sound different, but they are still IF records sans Jesper's influence. You can't say that about Battles - if he were to leave after hearing the demos for Save Me or The Truth, I'd see his point.

His excuses are pretty much the equivalent of "you can't fire me; I quit!" They've probably had their issues with Anders for a long time by then, but the money was good and they were managing the hectic schedule. Shit only hit the fan once he couldn't perform, and to this day he is struggling with that aspect.

I really don't know what is worse. Jesper doing some light Hulk Hogan impressions of creative storytelling, or Anders refusing to elaborate on that story, while simultaneously acting as a hurt child. You see this with band members in their 20s or 30s, then make up in their 40s or 50s. Not these guys though.

A documentary huh? Aight, imma 'bout to strap in and get to hating. Be back soon with snarky and sarcastic comments.

My overall impressions are that it was wholesome and I am going to put my fingers in my ears and go LA LA LA before you ruin my childhood :cool:

Dude with the SOAPF tattoo, respect.

The Americans in their crew, Chris aside, are annoying af.

Weird that Bjorn isn't being interviewed, considering he seems to be the most natural at this kind of thing. Anders' voice sounds pretty strained.

Anders doesn't jam with the rest before shows.

Some brief jam footage of Stand Ablaze, nice.

Anders says they take their shows more seriously now than they did back in the day, although he doesn't really specify when they started taking it more seriously. He thinks they're a better band now than they were before.

Anders says he does breathing exercises and 'scales', and thinks he's become a better singer. Eh. He thinks it took him a few songs to get ready in the past, but now he's ready from the first song. Eh. From what I've seen I don't really think that's true, in the sense that it's not noticeable in old videos that he's demonstrably worse at the beginning than the end of a set, but whatever.

Anders says he isn't nervous about shows nowadays, he just looks forward to them. They're very specific about who hugs who before they go out on stage. It always has to be in the same order. I guess we all have a little bit of the autism in us.

For some reason they use the Foregone studio tracks when showing the live performance. I guess it sounds better that way.

Anders gets a little emotional talking about a terminally ill girl who he dedicated Wallflower to at the show. That kind of stuff must be tough.

Foregone began in 2021. He says he and Bjorn need to be in the same room writing music, they don't want to collaborate remotely. The rented a house to write songs, and then went to record it at Benson's studio. He says there's no extra material, they write the album as a whole and then it's done. He says he doesn't remember anything about their first show after COVID (which was in the UK), because it was so emotional to be back playing live.

Overall it was an okay documentary I guess, but it would have been nice to see the other band members interviewed too - even Broderick or the American bros. I don't know why it was only Anders. Also the music is way louder than the interview parts, which is frustrating as I have to keep turning the sound down and then back up again.

Weirdest thing was the lack of any insight from Bjorn. You see him in general footage but don't hear anything from him about... anything.