New album Foregone out February 2023

Forgone PT.1 has the heaviness, but for me is lacking in the melodic department. It's not the same feeling I get if I listen to Serpent/Veiled in Scarlet or Nightrage for example. It's not the same feeling I get from listening to THE. This song is okay, not bad at all, but if it wasn't In Flames would it convince me to listen to an entire album? I'm not sure it would.
I get what you are saying. It’s heavier but not old school In Flames. Also it’s dark. IF was always kind of neutral, inspiring, soaring, maybe melancholic. But never dark. And not angry. So this is kind of new.

IF hasn’t sounded like IF since 2001 in my opinion. 20 years later actually now they are sounding like music I like again. You know, metal. I’ll take what I can get.

Will we ever see melodic leads and chord-based riffing like Goliaths Disarm their Davids ever again? That to me is a major pillar of core In Flames. Kind of doubt it. If we did that would be the TRUE return of IF.

So I agree that this new stuff is not strictly closer to classic IF, but it is at least in the metal continuum. Which is a massive step up. I legit can enjoy it for what it is, instead of trying to like it because IF did it.

I get what you are saying. It’s heavier but not old school In Flames. Also it’s dark. IF was always kind of neutral, inspiring, soaring, maybe melancholic. But never dark. And not angry. So this is kind of new.

IF hasn’t sounded like IF since 2001 in my opinion. 20 years later actually now they are sounding like music I like again. You know, metal. I’ll take what I can get.

Will we ever see melodic leads and chord-based riffing like Goliaths Disarm their Davids ever again? That to me is a major pillar of core In Flames. Kind of doubt it. If we did that would be the TRUE return of IF.

So I agree that this new stuff is not strictly closer to classic IF, but it is at least in the metal continuum. Which is a massive step up. I legit can enjoy it for what it is, instead of trying to like it because IF did it.

Yeah man I agree, this is 100% a step in the right direction and overall I do like the song. It's good. I've just been listening to some really awesome MDM lately very much in tune with what I love about the genre. Had I not been listening to so much of that stuff I'd probably be more appreciative of the new IF material.

Yeah man I agree, this is 100% a step in the right direction and overall I do like the song. It's good. I've just been listening to some really awesome MDM lately very much in tune with what I love about the genre. Had I not been listening to so much of that stuff I'd probably be more appreciative of the new IF material.
I’ll try Serpent and Veiled in Scarlet since you mentioned them. If you got others I’ll take whatever you list.

Reactions: Jester Slave
This is the best single so far, I love this. I feel like this will be an I, The Mask situation where the heaviest songs are singles mind you so I'm still not getting too ahead of myself.

IF is surprisingly savvy with social interactions, despite them being, you know, a boomer metal band. How many songs do I have to listen btw?

edit: don't tell me it's a community effort...

edit2: "Be sure to come back each day until the final surprise is revealed!" - don't tell me it has a limit for each day

Generation X.

The Boomers, are our parents. For real, children these days don't care about doing the minimum required research.

I’ll try Serpent and Veiled in Scarlet since you mentioned them. If you got others I’ll take whatever you list.

As far as Serpent/Veiled in Scarlet are concerned I'd say just listen to all of it. In the off topic thread I've got one of their songs linked from YouTube, I think you'll know from that if it's your kind of thing or not. Pretty sure it's the most recent post in that thread.

I assume you already know Nightrage? Actually, I know you do as I remember you also being a fan of the Wolf to Man album. I listened to Sweet Vengeance today in full for the first time in a while and wow, I'd forgotten how good that album is. I genuinely think it's Lindberg's best vocal performance on any album, even including his stuff with ATG. Dude is insanely raw and visceral, he' a total beast on that album from start to finish.

About the new song... Three thoughts.

After three singles, I don't feel like I'm listening to IF.

These songs are making me like more I the Mask. That album has far more in common with the band's name, and that's not too much to say.

If Bjorn doesn't want to make solos, then he shouldn't. He's making a masterclass of lazyness.

Extra thought. I don't feel like they're bad songs, but I also don't think that they're interesting. Just... Heavy. That's not enough.

I do think there's some interesting stuff in Foregone. It's just in short supply. The intro is cool, not like anything IF have done recently or maybe ever. The acoustic part is nice, albeit it only lasts for about 5 seconds, so not anything to get overly excited about. I actually think the solo is pretty different to what Bjorn normally produces, and for once it fits in with the flow of the song, rather than sounding like it was inserted from a catalogue of generic solos he pre-recorded in a vault somewhere.

The solo is just repeating the same pattern in a few different ways before going back to the main riff. That's why I call it lazy. And, seriously, these days he seems to think that a solo can only start with high notes. I don't know how to explain it. Just, remember the intro solo for Rusted Nails. That's what he does. Like, there's a whole gamma of frets that his fingers will never touch.

I don't really listen to it on such a technical level, so I can't comment on that, I just think it fits in fine with the song.

Im not talking about technical. What I'm talking about are easy concepts. Specially the part where he repeats (almost) the same pattern three times. Like, there are other ways to do solos and there are other ways to do melodic solos.

While the solo part is nice, I feel like the chorus in this one doesn't have much sense of closure (idk how to word it better lol) and when it just repeated again at the end with no changes and the song was pretty much over after that - I just felt like something's missing.

Idk, it just feels weird. Overall, it's a nice song, but something's amiss.

Reactions: DE4life
While the solo part is nice, I feel like the chorus in this one doesn't have much sense of closure (idk how to word it better lol) and when it just repeated again at the end with no changes and the song was pretty much over after that - I just felt like something's missing.

Idk, it just feels weird. Overall, it's a nice song, but something's amiss.

I agree, it's good, but missing something to put it over the top.

This song's runtime is about three and a half minutes long, but feels longer than that. I love that there's so much variety within the song itself.

The chorus is great, but what I really like about it is that it does what a chorus should do, which is to serve as a refrain -- a passage that ties the whole song together -- rather than the part where the obligatory clean vocals come in, etc. For the longest time it felt like In Flames wrote choruses and then go-through-the-motions verses around them. In this song, every part has its place and each is of equal importance.

One thing I didn't like about post-Jesper In Flames is that riff harmonies became something of a rarity. Most IF songs, starting with SOAPF, lost that fluidity. I was glad to hear that kind of action again in this song.

The one nitpick I have for this song, and this goes for SoSD, is that there are some passages that could have been extended. I get what they were going for with that brief acoustic passage, in that it leads you into thinking you're going to get some reprieve from the aggression, only to be thrust back into the action. It catches you off-guard, but I think it could have gone on for at least another four measures.

Im not talking about technical. What I'm talking about are easy concepts. Specially the part where he repeats (almost) the same pattern three times. Like, there are other ways to do solos and there are other ways to do melodic solos.

This is by no means an attack on you personally and honestly if you don't like the songs that's 100% fair and valid, but your opinions on why the new singles don't appeal to you have been so vague, meaningless and at times contradictory that they HAVE to be bait and you're just trying to be the anti-slave.

The solo on Foregone is interesting to me as it's quite clearly 2 different parts recorded on different instruments (and I'd argue different players, I think the first half is Chris and second is Bjorn) and even though it is simple and repetitive, it (along with the atmosphere in the background) creates a soundscape that feels genuinely interesting by modern In Flames standards.