New album Foregone out February 2023

I mean, Nordstrom has plenty of music out there and none of it sounds remotely like TJR or Whoracle, so I don't think he had anything to do with composing those songs. Absolutely may have helped structuring a few things, but I wouldn't imagine much more than that. If we're looking at potential unsung heroes then Glenn is probably the guy who maybe doesn't get enough credit.

Glenn absolutely doesn't get enough credit. I think THE should bring him in and have three guitar players honestly. Imagine... oh man, imagine what they could do.

Reactions: DE4life
Random note: the two songs on TJR that have only Jesper and Bjorn as songwriters - Artifacts and Wayfaerer.

Glenn has songwriting credits on most of the other tracks. Moonshield is the only song that has Jesper credited as sole songwriter. He actually wrote more songs by himself on Whoracle.

I don't think that the guy who wrote Gyroscope, Jester Script Transfigured and Episode 666 by himself cannot be called any other thing than a genius.

Reactions: DE4life
For me Character is the best DT album and it's not even close. I like all their stuff, but Character is THE "2000s era" melodeath album.

Character's production is very dry. I only really noticed when I went back to it recently. It reminds me a bit of Come Clarity in that it's quite abrasive to listen to.

Reactions: The Grayfox
I don't like his vocals on DT and I also don't like his vocals with Insomnium but, for some reason, I think that they fit perfectly with THE.
Regarding Insomnium you mean only the one track that he featured? He barely had a chance to prove himself in that one, getting like one verse and a sing-along chorus, so it's hard to blame him.

I say "IF is IF because of Anders" cause if you look at the other Gothenburg bands, they're still trying to do the same thing they did like 20 years ago and a) it's not as good as it was like old records b) they don't even try to do different things and it became boring. Listen the 2 latest record by At The Gates. Their comeback was good but after that record it got boring. Its the same thing over and over again and yeah we get it but its not even good.
At this point I suspect everyone pretty much missed The Nightmare of Being, which is as far from your everyday typical AtG as it could. I like two first comeback albums, but the third one is something else. Bloody hell, they have even brought saxophone on that one.
Even if you dislike AtG, just give that record a go, it's a good one.

Last edited:
Regarding Insomnium you mean only the one track that he featured? He barely had a chance to prove himself in that one, getting like one verse and a sing-along chorus, so it's hard to blame him.
I don't blame him. I just think that they don't fit there.

At this point I suspect everyone pretty much missed The Nightmare of Being, which is as far from your everyday typical AtG as it could. I like two first comeback albums, but the third one is something else. Bloody hell, they have even brought saxophone on that one.
Even if you dislike AtG, just give that record a go, it's a good one.

tyle
przysłówek: tyle

Something about the lead single really didn't click with me, so I skipped everything else, but you've caught my attention with saxophone. That sounds really interesting.

Edit: Holy shit, this is fucking incredible. I would've liked it a lot more without his shouts, but whatever, I don't mind that. I absolutely love this otherwise.

I have to go with Fiction for 2000s era MDM. Character is really good too though.

I haven't listened to Character yet, but I absolutely loved Fiction. The only songs I haven't listened to in a long time are the closer and "Misery's Crown", and the latter's just because I'm not huge on the clean vocals on it. It just doesn't sound anywhere close to Stanne at his best. Admittedly, there is something somewhat processed sounding about it and the production, but I can kind of put that aside. The drums are compressed as all hell though, I really don't like that the snare sounds like when you play one of those electronic drum sets when they're not turned on.

Yeah, The Nightmare of Being is a really good album. Spectre of Extinction is arguably the weakest song on there.

Character and Fiction are both fantastic, but I like Fiction a bit more because the songs are more varied and it has higher highs. Character is like Come Clarity in that it's more homogenous -- most of the songs are fast and aggressive, and tend to blend together.

Yeah, so basically Anders provided the concepts and Niklas wrote the lyrics. I like that they actually credited William Wordsworth :D I'm sure his spirit is at peace now knowing he contributed to a legendary MDM track.
I think I posted this earlier somewhere but I asked Niklas many years ago here on forums in DM, and he answered that he did all lyrics and singing melodies/rhythms on TJR, all lyrics on Whoracle except Episode 666 on which Anders wrote some verses in Swedish and Niklas helped polish and finish it. Then on Colony he just translated 4-5 songs, he didn't remember exactly.

I think I posted this earlier somewhere but I asked Niklas many years ago here on forums in DM, and he answered that he did all lyrics and singing melodies/rhythms on TJR, all lyrics on Whoracle except Episode 666 on which Anders wrote some verses in Swedish and Niklas helped polish and finish it. Then on Colony he just translated 4-5 songs, he didn't remember exactly.

Yeah, that was my understanding of it as well. Probably from reading your post, whenever that was.

Character starts as it means to go on... Solid as fuck :cool:

You know, I was gonna say it sounded incredibly black metal, but looking at the tab showed the tremolo picking and it all made sense why I thought that.

Yeah, The Nightmare of Being is a really good album. Spectre of Extinction is arguably the weakest song on there.

Character and Fiction are both fantastic, but I like Fiction a bit more because the songs are more varied and it has higher highs. Character is like Come Clarity in that it's more homogenous -- most of the songs are fast and aggressive, and tend to blend together.

That's the one I listened to. Didn't think much of it.

I absolutely loved Come Clarity, but I'm not sure just if I'll enjoy Character quite as much because Stanne's vocals aren't quite as aggressive as Anders' were on CC. Then again, I could always be wrong about that assumption, and I hope again. Fiction is an album that carries many different moods with a consistent tone, and I quite like that about it. It's a fantastic album.

Oh shit, that's fucking awesome. It's always great to see musicians interacting with the fanbases, at least when it's not a band member being an asshole, anyways.

I think I remember someone asking him way back about the lyrics for Goliaths Disarm their Davids and he replied that he did write them, but that the ones that have been circulating online for years are riddled with inaccuracies and he unfortunately hadn't preserved a copy of the official lyrics. "Bible arm on social hell" is probably not what Anders is saying on that song. =P

I believe he also remarked that the "official" lyrics (as posted in the booklet and online, I mean) for Colony are also full of mistakes. Which makes sense, because a lot of them are nonsense if you really read them.

Yeah, it's where the 'New Word' / 'New World' confusion came from. Even on wikipedia it notes that the Colony booklet is full of mistakes :D

IMG_20220628_212005.jpg

Booklet version versus Dark Lyrics version.

Bible arm on social hell
Spins its downward spiral
With each year of unprogression
A fine of failure is added
Closer than ever to the edge
A feat in resident martyrs
Strong objects track my body,
My body down

Eyes, disappearing rebirth of light...
Between a labrynth of errors
And the key to the suicide era
Digging through the graves of giants
Words fly to me
A lonely road, like a promise
Failing miserably
Running through like an alphabet of hate
To shake the entire organism closer than ever,
Ever to the edge

Eyes, disappearing rebirth of light...
Between a labrynth of errors
And the key to the suicide era

I kill for the code to disarm this mess
Of psychotic chaos that once I mixed up myself

Disarm

There are just a couple of small changes.

Either way it's a fucking weird, practically indecipherable set of lyrics :D