New album Foregone out February 2023

Now I'm curious what kind of life events were a catalyst for the transformation from gigachad wifebeater Anders to the current feminist subreddit moderator Anders... there's a solid album's worth of lyrics hidden there.

Yeah man, life is a battle. Or Battles.

I think he was just trying to act cool in front of the American bros and Benson. Like those school movies where the dork tries to fit in with the cool kids, then eventually they accept the person for being who they are, and they go back to being a loser/douche, but they've accepted it now so it's okay.

So we should thank God he didn't find a Japanese producer or we would be looking at kawaii Anders and J-pop back to the rootz album?

Some trivia for you guys.

DID YOU KNOW?

• Foregone is the first In Flames album to ever score a 10 on the prestigious Rootsy Scale
  • If you translate Foregone into ancient Greek and rearrange the letters it becomes The Roots of Old
  • At a recent show, Sepultura dedicated their performance of "Roots (Bloody Roots)" to Foregone.

Last edited:
Thought this was interesting, a few bits from the metalhammer interview:

In Flames’ latest interview with Metal Hammer magazine, words by Matt Mills.

In the early 2000s, In Flames ditched the growls and guitar harmonies of the genre they'd helped define, replacing them with nu metal melodies and electronics. And they've been steadfast in their refusal to cave in to pressure and turn back. However, when Hammer sits down with frontman Anders Fridén and guitarist Björn Gelotte in the lobby of their rather fancy London hotel, something unprecedented happens: the singer admits the band's latest material has been lacking.

"I feel that some of our mixes have been too laidback," Anders reflects, talking with a stern honesty he maintains throughout our conversation. "We didn't realise it back then. When we had this break during the pandemic, me and Björn talked about what we wanted to do. The first thing we both said - and the first thing that Howard [Benson, In Flames' producer] said to us - is that we should bring the guitar and drums back to the forefront. We want to make In Flames more 'metal, whatever that means, production-wise. We had a lot of great songs on the last few albums, but they could have had a bit more punch and attitude."

"We haven't just looked back and made The Jester Race Part 2, because that would be stupid," Anders explains. "It wouldn't be true to that album and we're not the same people as we were back then. So, we're keeping all of those roots with us but still looking forward to the future."

Despite the speculation of many a pundit, Anders and Björn insist their newfound aggression has nothing to do with The Halo Effect showing up and stealing headlines.

"I've never listened to them,” Anders states, uncharacteristically briefly.

Bjorn has. "The one song I have heard, I thought it was Dark Tranquillity,” he says. "It sounded, production-wise, awesome and obviously had Mikael on there."

"It really came as a surprise,” Anders adds, "but it's fine. They can do whatever they want. It doesn't affect our music. People ask us, 'Is there competition?' but this isn't the Eurovision Song Contest."

As apathetic as the singer claims to be, he also says he can't imagine touring with them any time soon: "Never say never, but I don't see it right now. We'd have to be talking first."

"I think, in 10 years' time, Foregone will be an In Flames classic,” Anders concludes at the end of our chat. And, while Björn can't predict what In Flames will do next, he knows this album and this line-up have set the stage for a boundless future.

"The members that we have now, their skillset is not at all limiting" he says. "Now we can do crazy stuff with people that really love to show off. It makes me very much look forward to what's to come."

Reactions: Xpyro125
Thought this was interesting, a few bits from the metalhammer interview:

Alright, I got some things to say here.

In the early 2000s, In Flames ditched the growls and guitar harmonies of the genre they'd helped define, replacing them with nu metal melodies and electronics. And they've been steadfast in their refusal to cave in to pressure and turn back.

Lmao, what is this idiot talking about? In Flames never ditched the growls. Guitar harmonies changed but never disappeared. He also evidently does not know what nu metal is, as nu metal melodies is basically an oxymoron. When your first few sentences are completely wrong it doesn't set a great tone.

the singer admits the band's latest material has been lacking.
"I feel that some of our mixes have been too laidback," Anders reflects, talking with a stern honesty he maintains throughout our conversation. "We didn't realise it back then. When we had this break during the pandemic, me and Björn talked about what we wanted to do. The first thing we both said - and the first thing that Howard [Benson, In Flames' producer] said to us - is that we should bring the guitar and drums back to the forefront. We want to make In Flames more 'metal, whatever that means, production-wise. We had a lot of great songs on the last few albums, but they could have had a bit more punch and attitude."

Okay so I guess we weren't all just haters drinking haterade back then, unable to move on from TJR days? Who knew? I mean, to most of us this is a "no fucking shit you bellend" reaction to Anders' supposed pandemic epiphany. Also you said the exact same thing about I, the Mask, Anders, so don't lie about this being something you realised in the pandemic.

Oh and also, if your BFF Howard is such a great producer, why the fuck didn't he tell you this back then? If he's such an amazing producer would he not have noticed in 2016 that every Battles song lacked "punch and attitude" ? We all commented on it instantly, and we aren't famous producers. These boys... absolute head the balls.

So, we're keeping all of those roots with us."

Don't I know it. Maybe we can set up Roots Fest 2024 where the headline act is IF playing a full set of Foregone, and every act on the bill is only allowed to cover Foregone. Rootsiest festival ever.

Despite the speculation of many a pundit, Anders and Björn insist their newfound aggression has nothing to do with The Halo Effect showing up and stealing headlines.
"I've never listened to them,” Anders states, uncharacteristically briefly.

Lmao, if this guy knew anything about Anders he'd know that a brief answer to a THE question is anything but uncharacteristic.

Bjorn has. "The one song I have heard, I thought it was Dark Tranquillity,” he says. "It sounded, production-wise, awesome and obviously had Mikael on there."

Good lad Bjorn. Still lying, as I guarantee he's heard the entire album, but probably didn't want to say anything with manbaby Anders beside him. From his description I'd guess he was talking about Shadowminds.

As apathetic as the singer claims to be, he also says he can't imagine touring with them any time soon: "Never say never, but I don't see it right now. We'd have to be talking first."

Bjorn looking like:

dd0.png

"I think, in 10 years' time, Foregone will be an In Flames classic,” Anders concludes at the end of our chat.

But you say this about every album so it means nothing.

Best full songs

Meet Your Maker - like the verses, like the clean chorus, like the solo, lyrics sound decent and catchy. Maybe the best overall and also most representative of IF’s current sound.

State of Slow Decay - I like ATG so.. yeah. Solo and is cool too.

Foregone Pt 1 - I like everything on it, initial frantic pace, breakdown towards the end.

Cynosure - chorus is generic but everything else is cool and it’s growing on me more

The other songs have cool parts but I can’t say I enjoy the whole song, at least at this point. A Dialogue is killing me with that killer intro and then awkward clean vocals right after. Annoying lyrics as well, talking about the ghost in his head over and over.

Reactions: Xpyro125
"I cannot believe what I'm hearing. I have not bought an In Flames album in 20 years but I grabbed this day 1."

Says a comment under the full album on YouTube.

That's typically the kind of remark I cannot manage to understand. Is to say that STYE, CC, ASOP & SOAPF have no value compared to Foregone from this guy point of view ? :eek:

Reactions: eochaid
"I cannot believe what I'm hearing. I have not bought an In Flames album in 20 years but I grabbed this day 1."

Says a comment under the full album on YouTube.

That's typically the kind of remark I cannot manage to understand. Is to say that STYE, CC, ASOP & SOAPF have no value compared to Foregone from this guy point of view ? :eek:
Marketing. They got a positive review (no number score though) on Angry Metal Guy so now they got some cred. Obviously the label is trying to rehabilitate their image.

Reactions: Moonshield_
I've seen this kind of reply on Reddit a few times as well. I just think, well my dude, if you like Foregone then you've missed out on a lot on good stuff from the last 20 years that you would have liked as well.

Reactions: Moonshield_
Lmao, if this guy knew anything about Anders he'd know that a brief answer to a THE question is anything but uncharacteristic.
I don't know... At this point, just listen to them so that you can properly reply to the questions. Is just a 40 minutes drive by car. So he can drive all Sweden twice while doing that.