NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

RICJAMES

Aug 23, 2014
Germany
"We will start creating new songs during spring and summer(2017), and will head to the studio during fall. The album will be our tenth studio album, which is also quite a milestone. It seems that after the studio I will have some time to get my back better somehow, possibly an operation if all the other options have been tried out." - Jaska Raatikainen

source: https://www.facebook.com/JaskaRaatikainenCOBHC/posts/1367481549977549

So obviously after the 20 years anniversary tour in april/march and after the summer festivals, and in between, they want to write and record new songs. So we can expect a new album between late 2017 and early 2018. This pretty much confirms tenth studio record.

Reactions: Sisterofnight
Metallic cobalt or "Army" (dark) green ( the "goose shit" green one). No, it will be dark brown, like the eternal soil of the damned. :p

Last edited:
Hennka told in an Interview that they dont know if Daniel can record with them the new Album because of some legal rights. Can someone explain this?

Hennka told in an Interview that they dont know if Daniel can record with them the new Album because of some legal rights. Can someone explain this?

I assume it has something to do with the fact that Roope was let go and the record label wrote a contract only paying Alexi, Roope, Jaska, Henka & Janne for so many new albums so they aren't gonna change the contract & pay Daniel which they'd more than likely have to do if he has either writing credits or records on the new album. It would be good if they worked something out as Naildown wasn't bad.

Of course nobody will know who was in the studio recording.

Question is will he ever finish that Naildown album or use the best ideas for COB's new album? It depends whether he's given a stay or not.

Well, only when arranging the riffs etc, or if they have some nice small ideas, but the reality is there are many musicians in the world but only a small fraction of them are good song writers.

I missed Children of Bodom while they were here in Utah. I'm sad now.
I missed Abbath and Exmortus with them, too. And they're awesome.

Children of Bodom needs to get another album out like their "Are You Dead Yet?" album. I haven't really noticed a big difference between all their latest stuff. It's all cool but I'm waiting for them to make that next level up.

^What do you think of that Joonas?

They need to make another FTR or HCDR if you ask me. Wouldn't complain about another Hatebreeder either.

I think the driving force of the album should be the epicness, mysteriousness and/or brutality of the composion ideas, then it's matched with a fitting soundworld. It's the soul that writes the songs, not the instrument or any technique you abide to. Techniques and music styles should not be a limitation, they should be an ingredient or tool.

We can't have a Hatebreeder pt 2 now, because Alexi's vocals have changed, his songwriting has changed, his spirit has changed, his experience level is different. Just like composions are tied to a certain soundworld, albums are tied to a certain era in the composer's paradigm. I don't believe anyone could make a masterpiece of art by forcing himself to do something that doesn't come from the soul.

I think they need lots of dark, fast riffing. Next album should sound like this at 0:54 - 1:00. It sounds like something epic is going on, instead of just another jamming session. When you first listen to it it sounds too fast, but as you embrace it your ears soon get used to it and it seems like an energetic tempo for the guitars to mimic the drums.

Lots of evil speed riffing like that, dramatic orchestral hits, dark atmosphere and unforgettable melodies. Only 8 songs, with average duration of 3:30. It's well made up for with musical richness. Overall the keyboards and drums need to be taken more into the songwriting itself.

Here's a description of an interesting COB song from my mind, it consists of five different sections, this would be only around 3:10 long:

-icy cold keyboards creating night sky
-chorus riff which sounds like descending to the abyss
-fast riff intensifies mood
-verse with rapid, heavy riffs burying the vocals
-morphing to that fast riff again
-verse, this time with orchestral hits added to further intensify feeling
-orchestral hits in melodic pattern
-icy cold keyboards creating winter night sky
-chorus with a riff that descends down to the abyss
-guitar melody with echo
-orchestral hits in melodic pattern
-fast riff returns once more
-verse, played one octave lower

Last edited:
Why does a COB thread these days always have to end in idiocrazy? :D
I mean you could have just replied that you were looking forward to a record,
or not replied at all haha. :D

Is it possible that we can talk at least a slit bight serious.
I hope at least he does not water everything down do some rhythm.
I know he does not like Yngwie shred stuff anymore, but I can't stand that
Zakk Wyldish 0815 blues licks anymore. He does not have to do "The Nail" like solos
to be unique. I hope he can pull of some better ideas than just some blues improvisation
as leads or solos.
And the riffs could be a bit more faster and more raunchy and gnarly.
I'd love to see him going back to higher tunings like E standard or Drop D,
but that's naive to think, those higher tunings are not as forgiving as Drop C and D standard
or even C# standard and Drop B.

I don't buy that shit. I guess ALexi just does not want him to contribute.
Let's be honest there. COB is the "child" (pun intended) of Alexi, and only Alexi.
Sometimes people are so dominant in bands that they just can't get along with others who also want to contribute.
Sometimes the snake can only have one head, you know. Metallica was the same thing. James and Dave
are both leaders, they couldn't get along with each other for a longer time period.
And in addition, that would be the first time ever that a new band member wasn't able to contribute because an
old one left. That's stupid. Bands change so often members these days. Look at Cradle Of Filth for
example. Dani Filth has literally a new band for each record.
That's probably the reason why Roope left, he just couldn't stand Alexis' regency anymore.
And even if Daniel would contribute, how is NB planning they find out?
Do they want to hire a guy to watch over COBs writing and recording process?
And many musicians have been present while the recordings of IWC, at least for gang shoutings:
Samy Elbana of Lost Society, Daniel before he officialy joined COB etc. This would have
technically been against clauses of their contract if that is true in the first place.

I was being serious.

Alexi said he'll probably record the rhythms by himself from now on, so he won't have to teach them to someone else in just the right style and timing, so it will be more tight and correct I guess. Roope was an essential part of the band and quite a guitarist himself so it was a different story, but maybe it'll take longer for a new guitarist to settle into the brotherhood. Daniel seems pretty sharp and I'm much satisfied with his performance.

Just let it be extreme. This opportunity is no time to play around, making the album only takes a few months, but it will be around forever.

I was being serious.

Alexi said he'll probably record the rhythms by himself from now on, so he won't have to teach them to someone else in just the right style and timing, so it will be more tight and correct I guess. Roope was an essential part of the band and quite a guitarist himself so it was a different story, but maybe it'll take longer for a new guitarist to settle into the brotherhood. Daniel seems pretty sharp and I'm much satisfied with his performance.

Just let it be extreme. This opportunity is no time to play around, making the album only takes a few months, but it will be around forever.
I meant the people here only "talking" about the colour of the new cover.

So now the band is making new songs.

Will they touch the songwriting of Knuckleduster, or just rerecord it with the new sound and the new lyrics Alexi talked about...

Studio is this fall.

I think this time they should make songs with shorter duration but richer material and more speed. One identifiable beat serving as the backbone, and one memorable melody for each song, to create a feeling of flow, instead 'jumping from one section to another.' What I'd like is less support for the main riff, instead other instruments deriving a little to do their own thing while still serving the musical idea, thus creating richness. Doesn't necessarily mean more notes composed.

Last edited: