new album update

Strangelight said:
Sounds good already but I reckon it was a bad move telling folk about the secret track. Also, if its secret, it should be part of track 10. hehe, sorry.
Cracking titles though.

good point. its not really a secret track as such though, it will be listed on the booklet. its just that its a cover and i dont wanna tell them what it is.

Eos said:
"...it is a mistake to assume that events far apart in time are thereby seperate. All things are connected as in the finest web of a spider. The slightest movement can be discerned from all points of the web..."

Where's that from? It's a movie, I think, but can't remember whichone..
err.gif

its from a book shelley. a really good one called 'the way of wyrd' by brian bates.

pagan2002 said:
good point. its not really a secret track as such though, it will be listed on the booklet. its just that its a cover and i dont wanna tell them what it is.

Aye I remember what it is. I wont tell them like, but I dont understand why yous are doing a Whitesnake cover :erk:

'here i go again on me own...' oops

I don't think there's anything wrong at all with downloading music from the internet. If it weren't for file sharing, I would never have heard Anathema and now I own every single one of their albums. Without file sharing, Anathema wouldn't have even 1% of the fans that they have now, it is the best thing to happen to underground music ever. If you try to ruin file sharing, you are trying to ruin Anathema having new fans, and that is the truth.

"Anathema wouldn't have even 1% of the fans that they have now"

this was statistcally proven by the magic foo bunny i spose. the best thing to happen to underground music was pit helmets and flashlights....underground me banjo.

Theres a difference between checking a band out and ripping ppl off...d/ling mp3s before an album is released is just scuzzy

I have well over 500 cds in my possession, and I always download months before the album is released. I'm very impatient, and I hate wasting money. Sure, there are a few thousand albums I've downloaded that I won't buy, but that's because they are crappy albums. Hopefully, that won't happen to Anathema, but I'm yet to see a band that has stayed good for much longer than they have. Even the great Pink Floyd dropped off greatly in quality in their later years.

don't get me wrong, i support the bands i like. i recently bought a4 on vinyl for example though i already own the cd. but there is so much music nowadays, and everybody is telling you "listen to this and listen to that", you can't just go on and buy 40 cd's a month. at least not wth my income.

and the main reason mp3's are so widespread is that them satan organizations called record labels price cd's incredibly high. i mean 20 euros for a cd, gimme a fuckin' break! and then when it turns out to be crap ,you feel like kiling yourself for having spent all that money for nothing. and the funny thing is that the artists get very few of that money. so why should i go on make some rich pig richer?

Yes, this is very true. A band makes next to nothing for cd sales. If an album goes gold, which means it sells at least 500,000 copies, a 4 piece band would make under $40,000 each. That's middle class wages for 1 year, and a band that goes gold probably worked for a couple years on that album. And to put things into perspective, only a very small percentage of bands goes gold, maybe around 1% of the total bands around right now do this. So Anathema probably sell around 200,000 copies of an album, that would put them at under $20,000 each for a couple years of musical work. Less than $10,000 a year. I make more than that just sitting here typing on message boards and answering phones. So... the real point is this, cd sales aren't where bands make their money. They make money from touring and merchandise, where the record industry can't dip their fingers into the pot. In America, the RIAA take basically over 80% of the profits from an album, and they don't even really do anything once you consider that most real promotion in this day and age is done, you guessed it, over the internet. I can guarantee that if I had never heard mp3s of many bands, I would definitely not listen to metal right now and I would probably have around 50 cds. If a band complains about file sharing, they just don't understand anything. Anathema is a relatively popular band now, and this can be placed on the altar of P2P file sharing. I think that cds should be removed as a form of music as it is extremely outdated now. The only way that an artist can make money off their music now has next to nothing to do with cd sales.

LuminousAether said:
Anathema is a relatively popular band now, and this can be placed on the altar of P2P file sharing.

I think that cds should be removed as a form of music as it is extremely outdated now. The only way that an artist can make money off their music now has next to nothing to do with cd sales.

I don't think anathema is popular due to p2p.. The fact that it's a good and hardworking band has more to do with it i guess.
I don't understand that if you aren't interested in metal, you would download metal (and get to know anathema this way). I don't download this r'nb or jazz or ... If you're really interested, you don't need p2p, you can always make the effort of going to a cd-store and listen & discover it there.

How would you release music nowadays? I really want cover art, a nice booklet, holding something, looking upon my record collection,...

I think mp3s are just a nice way to get an idea of the music a band makes, I mean bands use mp3 samples or a song to spread over the net to let people know what they are like... I discovered some bands like that, and than bought the cd of course :)

yeah, at least the net has helped everyone i think to discover new and interesting bands. that's it's biggest advantage.

When I was younger, I hated metal with a passion. I listened to the music that I heard on the radio, which was college / alternative rock and that was pretty much all I listened to, except I also liked industrial rock quite a bit from the bands I had heard on the radio or TV (Pig, KMFDM, Sister Machine Gun, Skinny Puppy, Rorschach Test, etc...). That all changed once I started to use the internet and heard metal that the radio wouldn't play. I hated metal at first because the metal bands I heard were bands like Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pantera, Megadeth, etc... which are all bands I still hate with a huge passion to this day. I cannot stand thrash or power metal, and that is all the radio played. But once I found mp3s, I heard metal bands like My Dying Bride and Samael, styles of metal that I didn't even know existed before mp3s came around, and all of a sudden I started to like metal. So yes, P2P made me like Anathema and all the other metal bands I like now, without it, these bands would not have me as a fan. Also, I know for a fact that many, many people are in the same boat as me and came to like metal after they heard non-mainstream metal on teh interweb. For everyone I meet on the internet that doesn't buy cds, I meet countless more that do. P2P has NOT hurt the record industry, it has only hurt major labels. Independant and underground bands have become far more popular with the spread of mp3s, and word of mouth is NOTHING in comparison to the promotion a band gets on a P2P service.

christ. how can you hate every single classic metal band? please don't tell me you hate old sabbath too...

No, I like old Sabbath, just not Ozzy's vocals.
wink.gif

I also like old Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc... (which are the REAL classic bands)
yuck.gif
yuck.gif
yuck.gif

But mainly, I think metal got much more interesting in the early 90's with the rise of doom death and the second wave of black metal.
headbob.gif

LuminousAether said:
That all changed once I started to use the internet and heard metal that the radio wouldn't play.

I hated metal at first because the metal bands I heard were bands like Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pantera, Megadeth, etc... which are all bands I still hate with a huge passion to this day. I cannot stand thrash or power metal, and that is all the radio played.

Also, I know for a fact that many, many people are in the same boat as me and came to like metal after they heard non-mainstream metal on the radio.

Do you know what you're saying here?? I hope that this is a typing error, because switching opinions this fast makes it difficult to discuss something...

Btw, do you like anathema's version of Phantom of the Opera? :Spin: