Anathema-New Album

DiscipleOfPlato

The Observer
Jul 29, 2003
Miami, FL.
ANATHEMA: New Music Posted Online - Sep. 24, 2003

A brand new ANATHEMA track, titled "Are You There?", has been posted online MP3 format at this location. "Are You There?" comes off the group's forthcoming seventh studio album, "A Natural Disaster", due on October 20 through Music For Nations Records.

The follow-up to 2001's "A Fine Day to Exit" was recorded and mixed at Parkgate Studios near Hastings, U.K. (except for two songs, which were mixed in Nottingham at Electric Mayhem) and was produced by the and engineered by Dan Turner. Cover artwork was handled by artist extraordinaire Travis Smith.

The complete track listing for "A Natural Disaster" (view cover here) is as follows:

01. Harmonium
02. Balance
03. Closer
04. Are You There?
05. Childhood Dream
06. Pulled Under
07. A Natural Disaster
08. Flying
09. Electricity
10. Violence

The CD, which includes two instrumentals, has a total running time of roughly 55 minutes.

ANATHEMA guitarist Daniel "Danny" Cavanagh had previously stated this about the musical direction of the new album: "The [new] songs lend themselves to [a] simplified approach, being uncomplicated songs that get to the heart of the matter without having to go round the block to get there, if you see what I mean.

"It's fair to say you can expect a variety of songs and soundscapes on this one, from peaceful and ambient tones, to sonically massive great noises that we are barely able to control."

I'm planning on purchasing it the day it's released...does anyone else love this band as much as I do?

Oh and by the way, go here to see the cover artwork and to listen to the sample-song.

Judgement is their best album.

The simplified approach will work if the passion and emotion is still there- but if those are gone- this one might not be as good as A Fine Day to Exit- an album I wasnt all that impressed with

In my opinion, "A Fine Day to Exit" is probably their weakest effort, but a solid one nonetheless. I really can't wait for this next one...in fact, I've been listening to nothing but Anathema records all day!

I thought their best effort was AFDTE, closely followed by Alternative 4. I'm looking forward to this new one. I can't wait...

Ive got to totally disagree with you Luminous- Judgement is easily their most cohesive album- their best album. It is so perfectly put together, it sounds as if waves are washing against the shore.

speed said:
Ive got to totally disagree with you Luminous- Judgement is easily their most cohesive album- their best album. It is so perfectly put together, it sounds as if waves are washing against the shore.
Agree with that, Judgement is an awesome album, and definitely their best IMO

The problem with every single Anathema album (excluding Judgement which, as I earlier stated, I don't have) is that they're too inconsistant. Every one has a few songs I adore and then a few songs I don't really care for.

Gaurdian of Darkness- Thats definately true of Alternative 4, and A fine Day to Exit, both records have wonderful songs, and a few clunkers. However Judgement to me doesnt have any clunkers, every song fits perfectly.

No, A Fine Day to Exit has no bad songs on it at all.

The Silent Enigma and Eternity are both awesome from start to finish too. Pentecost III's last track is a bit iffy, but otherwise the ep rocks. Serenades has a way too long of closing song, but the rest is AMAZING. Same with Crestfallen.

Alternative 4 is the only really inconsistent Anathema album, but the first half is the best material they have done so it offsets the lackluster second half somewhat. It should have been an ep, it would've been their best release.