Anathema, but not Anathema

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I just got my hands on a new cd from a band called Lacrimas Profundere. They sound EXACTLY like old Anathema...Silent Enigma-era Anathema. It's fuckin' amazing. They're a German band, and the singer sounds exactly like old Anathema. It's fuckin' amazing...and to tell you the truth, the album as a whole is better than The Silent Enigma. Of course, it's not nearly as classic as A Dying Wish or Restless Oblivion, but it's up there. Check these guys out...amazing.

Bwahahaha... you guys crack me up. Better than The Silent Enigma? No way! Not even close! Not even 1/100th as good. Lacrimas Profundere were kind of decent when they were mixing old Anathema with Cradle of Filth, as that was kind of interesting, but the rest of their material is extremely generic "emo metal" with horrible vocals. Burning: A Wish was fairly decent as they had growls then, and growls are hard to mess up... but they have never been in the ballpark of Anathema, even on their best album, Memorandum.

Here's a review I did of their album Fall I Will Follow:

"
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]What a horrible disappointment this is. Lacrimas Profundere's last album, Burning: A Wish, was quite enjoyable in its predictable Anathema aping. This one is not. All the elements are there, it should be an album that I enjoy, but there's something missing. I know exactly what it is, strong songwriting. The band follows Anathema even further into the more rock-based material of newer Anathema, but they completely fail on every level. Repetitive generic electronic sections are juxtaposed with guitar lines that are almost stolen straight from Anathema; boring tuneless vocals try to follow Vincent Cavanaugh's path but end up sounding almost laughable.

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The song For Bad Times is not all that bad, but it certainly is not good either. It is just mediocre. That is more than can be said for the rest of this paltry affair. Under You instantly derails, with its generic organ underlying generic guitars and generic vocals. See a pattern? This album is so generic it brings new meaning to the word. the vocals are so unexpressive and dull that it almost makes me cringe to listen to this song. Towards the end, about two and a half minutes into the song, it slows down in a moment almost completely stolen from Anathema that builds up in a strikingly similar to the songs on Alternative 4. This is far worse than any of the cloning they have done previously; this is just completely uncalled for.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Last begins with cheesy electronics overlaying cheesy power chords, which segues into cheesy mellow guitars with absolutely dreadful vocals. This guy cannot carry a tune for the life of him. It was not that noticeable in the past, when he would still growl every now and then to spice things up, but this album does not really feature any growling, just cheesy Moonspell-esque deep clean vocals. They sound bad in that band, and they sound even worse here. Sear Me Pale Sun tries to get rid of the rock stigma by interjecting a very slow trip hop ending, but it is almost laughable. Sappy soundtrack synths play over a very slow and basic hip-hop beat while the generic organ is played in the background. Color me unimpressed. Leave the electronics to people that actually know what they are doing, such as Ulver and Arcturus. [/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Further song by song deconstruction is quite unnecessary at this point. All the bells and whistles have been exposed; this is a very generic album with very generic electronic sections that sound amateurish and pathetic, especially when compared to the bands this group is obviously cloning. I say, let Anathema play their own music. Do not play their music with Moonspell sounding vocals on top. That is just a complete mistake. What makes this whole thing that much worse is that in some parts the music is actually quite decent, such as the piano section in The Nothing Ship (obviously before the vocals start). The only result from these interesting parts is the cold harsh reality that the ensuing parts are going to sound that much worse in comparison. They do. Liquid is beyond laughable, the introduction makes me want to puke blood and then laugh hysterically.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this. This album fucking sucks. It's horrible. It's not even mediocre; it's total shit. There are moments where it starts to shine, then the vocalist has to go sounding like Moonspell's vocalist and ruin the mood. The whole band is relatively comfortable in their generic mood (listen and laugh when the vocalist says "fuck" in a snarl at the end of 'Liquid', I have never heard such a horrid ending to a song in my life), and they rip off artists that are obviously much better than them at any given moment. Of course, Moonspell is not any better than them, but Moonspell are dark metal's comedic relief, so they are exempted. Buy Anathema's Alternative 4, Paradise Lost's One Second, or Katatonia's Discouraged Ones to hear a band making good music after shedding an older style. Don't buy Lacrimas Profundere ripping these much better artists off. (1/5)"
[/font]

For whom did you review this? IMHO, reviews are just exaggerated opinions, and they only reflect what the listener prefers...if you review for a magazine or something, maybe I'd take it a bit more seriously. Webzines and all that crap are a joke to me.

Webzines are much better than magazines, imo, since they are written by music fans, not people who are paid to express their opinions (who become quickly jaded and entrenched in their tastes to the exclusion of any new ideas). Besides, name me one good metal magazine that's in regular circulation.

The difference between webzines and magazines are you actually have to have a degree in journalism...most of the time. Not that webzines don't have that, but some webzines' "journalists" are somewhat biased. But then again, so are magazines, but not to the same degree. Any yahoo can write their opinion on an album. Shit, we've got thousands of them on this board.

I have all of their albums. I agree (finally) with Luminous that Fall, I Will Follow is their weakest but I wouldn't have been that hard on it. Their first three are their best. Although they do have a more generic sound now, they still can write some enjoyable songs.