New Amp Day!!! 6505

Neb, thanks for the reply. I bought it at Davis Music Centre in Footscray where you got your JSX if I remember rightly. I hadn't seen a JSX in the flesh before, damn that's a sexy amp. Great guys at Davis. As far as going wrong with gear I buy, I have just realised that I have my bias set too cold on the Krank which is why I am getting some of the bad fizzies. I used 25W for the 6L6 wattage in the calculation instead of 30W so I ended up biasing it at around 60% instead of 70%, around 34mA instead of 40mA. I will be getting a bias probe in a month or so and set it up properly and the Krank hopefully won't be as fizzy although it does add to it's character like it or not. I will go for the BR-4. It has a rotary switch to select which tube you want to measure and a switch that can then display either Plate Voltage or Bias Current. The site also has a bias calculator.

Bias Probe
https://taweber.powweb.com/biasrite/br_page.htm

Bias Calculator
http://www.webervst.com/tubes/calcbias.htm

I was reading in the catalogue about the JSX, and it said "Power amp switchable to use EL34s or 6L6GS's" (I assume they mean GC not GS). Is there a Bias switch on your JSX or am I reading it wrong (probably :heh:)?

Machinated, you have definitely started something with the Pre-Gain on 1. I did some trials with the Lead Pre on 1 and Post on 3 yesterday and it does give a nice chugg out of the cab. I haven't ventured into the Post 4 region like you did though, not yet. :lol:

Thanks again for the replies. :kickass:

Yeah, there's a bias switch and knob (other than me :p). The switch is labled "Bias select"- EL34's/ 6L6GC's. Then the knob makes minor changes within the selected tube mode (I'm guessing, otherwise having both might be pointless).

Davis Music is pretty cool (for their gear). Did you get that annoying old dude selling you the amp? When I was trying mine out each time I'd start getting into a jam with the amp he'd come up with something new to talk about haha. It was nice when I said I was serious about buying the amp but wanted to test at higher volumes. They sat me in a rehersal room untill I was done *high five*

Yeah, I dealt with the older guy there and yes he loves a chat, even about the attempted KGB takeover of the tube factories. Great guys though. I saw their practice rooms. I didn't even plug a guitar into it, it's reputation was enough for me. About the bias of the JSX, I would assume that the Switch puts it into a safe range for the particular tube-type and that the knob gives you fine adjustment over that range. I would just give it a shot with the 6L6's and start with the knob set to it's lowest. Worst case is short life out of the 6L6's no amp damage. Might be worth the try to get the sound you are after. I just said "knob" too many times. :lol:

By the way, I opened up the Preamp Cover when I got it home and it has a mixed bag:

V1 - JJ ECC83S
V2 - JJ ECC83S
V3 - Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH
V4 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V5 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

I am assuming V1 is closer to the Input Jack.

Power Tubes are Ruby 6L6GCM-STR

Does anyone know what tubes are used for Rhythm Channel, and what tubes are used for Lead Channel?

I definitely said assume and knob too many times. :ill:

LMAO. I think he had that same conversation with me. You'd think he'd be tired of it by now.

I think the switch/ knob combo work the way you said, you just explained it much better haha.

If you want that question answered, maybe shoot an email off to Bob from Eurotubes. He'll probably give you some ideas for a new set when you need them.
I'll be trying out the 6L6's for sure. I just need to wait untill some coming gigs pass and hopefully Moonlapse will come over sometime soon with his C7 so I can decide to go with a "stock gain" set or a higher gain set....based on my plans of getting a Loomis C7 later in the year haha.

for a regular 6505, V1-V5 start at the right and move left...The first 3 tubes to the right (again, moving left) are V1-V3 and they are all shared between the rhythm and lead channels. The last 2 tubes on the left are for the FX loop and Phase inverter.

Thanks for the info on the tubes Nate. :kickass:

Poida now that's what I call value for money. You could sell those tubes as Vintage and make money.

I tried Machinated's tip and opened up the Post Level today. Damn, it comes to life between 3 and 4. It tightens up and Roars. Nice midrange grind.

I will have to try recording at that level. I am expecting better results than those samples posted here.

6505=:headbang:

I tried Machinated's tip and opened up the Post Level today. Damn, it comes to life between 3 and 4. It tightens up and Roars. Nice midrange grind.

I will have to try recording at that level. I am expecting better results than those samples posted here.

I'm curious to hear how the v30's will differ from the 75's in my cab. When I posted those 6505 clips I was "kind of" aiming for a guitar sound like on Killswitch's As Daylight Dies. Not copying it exactly, just trying to get similar elements of it in my sound.

Get that bad-boy turned up! :heh:

I'm curious to hear how the v30's will differ from the 75's in my cab. When I posted those 6505 clips I was "kind of" aiming for a guitar sound like on Killswitch's As Daylight Dies. Not copying it exactly, just trying to get similar elements of it in my sound.

Get that bad-boy turned up! :heh:

I still like your 75's tone on "Needles" better than these but here is what the V30's sound like with Lead Channel Pre just below 1 (out of 10) and the Post on 3.5 out of 10. It's a mid-heavy amp with a mid-heavy speaker. It does like to be loud. The mic is near enough to dead centre of the Dustcap about 1 inch away. I re-did the same 2 samples as above. All 4 guitar tracks are just 6505 not blended with the Krank. There are the RAW quad tracks of both samples. Then in a "mix" with just 50Hz and 12kHz filtering on the guitars and one of Sample 2 with a little EQ on the guitars. The "mix" files have a little MB comp and GClip. OD808 was used as a clean boost on all.

Sample 1 RAW Guitars
6505Lead172553510857123deadcentre-1trRAWGuitars.mp3

Sample 1 Mix
6505Lead172553510857123deadcentre-1tr.mp3

Sample 2 RAW Guitars
LLL172553510857123deadcentre-1trRAWGuitars.mp3

Sample 2 Mix
LLL172553510857123deadcentre-1tr.mp3

Sample 2 Mix Little EQ
LLL172553510857123deadcentre-1trlilEQ.mp3

Hosting is on keepmyfile.com. Windows may report a blocked popup. That popup is the file to be downloaded.

There's too much fizz there but I chose dead-centre as the mic position to show the worst case fizzies with a 6505 and V30's. :)

I am currently trying to dial in the sound of Devil Driver's "Fury of our makers hand" album. One of my fave guitar tones of all time. :headbang: