New Attack Attack single

even in recent things? i am seriously not even tuning half of the syllables

Do you define Zombie EP and Stand Up And Scream as recent? Then yes. Maybe it's also that I'm not the target demographic. I prefer vocals where I can actually understand the lyrics most of the time. If you compare, I think this is a natural sounding autotuning:

I've grown to listen to naturally good singers instead of autotuned singers (Yes, I was a 14 year old teenager in 1998 when Cher's Believe came out, it was the first moment when EVERYONE heard autotuning) and back in the day if the singers couldn't sing as high as they wanted, they used a falsetto, like King Diamond. Nowadays the singers do their lines way too high to their voice and then they use autotune to get and be there and the end result is that they sound like teenage girls. Yes, I've done it too, but so fucking what? I still don't like how it sounds, but the customers do, at least for... how long? If you listen to Freddie Mercury for example, his lines actually go even higher pitch wise than many of the bands you produce, but he still doesn't sound like a 14 year old girl. Same problem there on the first four Metallica albums... Hetfield sounds like a teenager because he wrote the lines too high for him. After Bob Rock came and sit on the producers chair, he lowered the lines like almost an octave and Hetfield started to sound like a man. Compare, it is gradually getting lower: Ride The Lightning -> Master of Puppets -> The Shortest Straw -> Enter Sandman

Also as I've lately been working with musicians that can play and singers that actually can sing (too bad that the singer was a nutcase, wasn't a fun project - but a really good singer pitch wise) and even they don't always play or sing in perfect time and pitch, but they still sound awesome, so hearing the overperfect nuance-free singing and playing with 2-3 perfect harmonies gets really boring, frustrating and annoying. I have also noticed that for some really odd reason the autotuning effect gets really emphasized thru the laptop speakers. I have no idea why, but it just does. I mean, if you listen to Lenny Kravitz's biggest hit "Are You Gonna Go My Way", it even has a fucking load of minor pitch mistake on it, really audible ones too and even a fuck up on the guitar playing, but the tune still rules even if the nuances are not removed and fixed to be "perfect". Same with Metallica. First seven albums... Magnificant songwriting, awful drumming, but still awesome packages as a whole. Except I really hate the mixes on Kill Em All and ...And Justice For All.

But worry not, I'm going to get a metal project consisting of 16-18 year old kids soon where I will have to rely on heavy editing and autotuning a lot :Smokedev:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you define Zombie EP and Stand Up And Scream as recent? Then yes. Maybe it's also that I'm not the target demographic. I prefer vocals where I can actually understand the lyrics most of the time. If you compare, I think this is a natural sounding autotuning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcH6ybcDcuo

I've grown to listen to naturally good singers instead of autotuned singers (Yes, I was a 14 year old teenager in 1998 when Cher's Believe came out, it was the first moment when EVERYONE heard autotuning) and back in the day if the singers couldn't sing as high as they wanted, they used a falsetto, like King Diamond. Nowadays the singers do their lines way too high to their voice and then they use autotune to get and be there and the end result is that they sound like teenage girls. Yes, I've done it too, but so fucking what? I still don't like how it sounds, but the customers do, at least for... how long? If you listen to Freddie Mercury for example, his lines actually go even higher pitch wise than many of the bands you produce, but he still doesn't sound like a 14 year old girl. Same problem there on the first four Metallica albums... Hetfield sounds like a teenager because he wrote the lines too high for him. After Bob Rock came and sit on the producers chair, he lowered the lines like almost an octave and Hetfield started to sound like a man. Compare, it is gradually getting lower: Ride The Lightning -> Master of Puppets -> The Shortest Straw -> Enter Sandman

Also as I've lately been working with musicians that can play and singers that actually can sing (too bad that the singer was a nutcase, wasn't a fun project - but a really good singer pitch wise) and even they don't always play or sing in perfect time and pitch, but they still sound awesome, so hearing the overperfect nuance-free singing and playing with 2-3 perfect harmonies gets really boring, frustrating and annoying. I have also noticed that for some really odd reason the autotuning effect gets really emphasized thru the laptop speakers. I have no idea why, but it just does. I mean, if you listen to Lenny Kravitz's biggest hit "Are You Gonna Go My Way", it even has a fucking load of minor pitch mistake on it, really audible ones too and even a fuck up on the guitar playing, but the tune still rules even if the nuances are not removed and fixed to be "perfect". Same with Metallica. First seven albums... Magnificant songwriting, awful drumming, but still awesome packages as a whole. Except I really hate the mixes on Kill Em All and ...And Justice For All.

But worry not, I'm going to get a metal project consisting of 16-18 year old kids soon where I will have to rely on heavy editing and autotuning a lot :Smokedev:

those releases are not recent in the slightest haha.

and i understand where you are getting at. but metalcore does not sound good with that rough and true vibe. all the albums that tried it flopped and have lots of negative feedback from the community. i could slaughter my career by not editing shit. but i really like playing starcraft on lag free internet in the house i own. haha plus i personally like high polished productions like my own. they are addicting to listen too.

p.s. recent releases where i am satisfied on how the tuning came out = the color morale my demon in your eyes, asking alexandria's new record reckless and relentless, and of mice and men the flood.