New Attack Attack album, take 2

i find I can't track with anything lighter than .56 for drop c, so for drop B i would be looking at 60. i did a band with 7 strings tuned to drop a# with a low G... we had 60's on the G and A# and they were both way too small, but the pegs wouldn't fit anything larger

i think this is more than a good enough guitar tone, and i got it with a pod!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1719400/riffzr.mp3

how many guitarists have you recorded lmfao

ive been playing guitar for 12+ years, and i have tuned down for the majority of that time. never once had a problem with my string gauge. the fact that u speak so matter of factly is funny to me.

I use these on my baritone:

51DuhxM1SGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Isn't the whole point of a baritone guitar so that you can use lighter strings with good tension? 13-72 would be way, way too much tension for me on a normal 25.5" scale guitar... let alone a 27" baritone guitar...

I think it's safe to say that string tension choice is pretty much entirely a personal preference issue, and debating it is pointless; I happen to like strings on the thinner side (pretty sure I've settled on my perfect set after months of experimentation: 11-16-22w-32-44-56 in C-standard on a 25.5" neck), because they make controlled vibrato with subtleties easier, and have more bite than big fat strings IMO. However, this nonsense of "if you use thin strings you're a pussy" is ridiculous; you seriously judge your manhood by how thick guitar strings you use? How pathetic...

And furthermore, Hevy Devy uses a .54 in C, so it's not like thin strings are some bizarre alien concept ;) Try them all and find what works best for you!

I think it's safe to say that string tension choice is pretty much entirely a personal preference issue, and debating it is pointless; I happen to like strings on the thinner side (pretty sure I've settled on my perfect set after months of experimentation: 11-16-22w-32-44-56 in C-standard on a 25.5" neck), because they make controlled vibrato with subtleties easier, and have more bite than big fat strings IMO. However, this nonsense of "if you use thin strings you're a pussy" is ridiculous; you seriously judge your manhood by how thick guitar strings you use? How pathetic...

And furthermore, Hevy Devy uses a .54 in C, so it's not like thin strings are some bizarre alien concept ;) Try them all and find what works best for you!

it's more a matter of what will sound better and more in-tune on a recording. the answer is always thicker strings.

I'm tuning to A standard at the moment, which is giving my 24.5 " Esp some problems with 13-56. I would put on way thicker strings if it weren't for those damn tunings pegs not being able to handle anything thicker. I got a 25.5" Ibanez 7 string though, which works pretty good in A. I just hate that damn floyd, I wish I could rip it off.

it's more a matter of what will sound better and more in-tune on a recording. the answer is always thicker strings.

To an extent, but surely you'll agree that as gauge increases, there comes a point where the intonation benefits become less and less, and are outweighed by the discomfort of playing with them, which of course negatively affect the performance (or else you'd be using the thickest possible strings that could fit through your bored-out tuner pegs), and I think it's fallacious to state that that point is a concrete fact, seeing as how it depends on the player. Not to mention the sonic differences I pointed out above.

jval, i would believe you if you had some cred. but in reality I know from experience (and hobbyist at that) that it is quite simple to get a well set up guitar to stay perfectly in tune in drop A with a .12-.56 set. it works. i do it all the time, for years, ever since i have owned a 7 string, and on an ibanez rg 6 string. if it has a 25.5" scale length, than your golden. Its not just me, its all of my fav. bands and tones aswell!

it seems that you arent setting up your guitars properly, it should be very easy.

Actually Liam, he does have some cred :D (though I know that only because I read practically every post on here :lol: Dunno why he doesn't have a link in his sig...)

jval, i would believe you if you had some cred. but in reality I know from experience (and hobbyist at that) that it is quite simple to get a well set up guitar to stay perfectly in tune in drop A with a .12-.56 set. it works. i do it all the time, for years, ever since i have owned a 7 string, and on an ibanez rg 6 string. if it has a 25.5" scale length, than your golden. Its not just me, its all of my fav. bands and tones aswell!

it seems that you arent setting up your guitars properly, it should be very easy.

dude trust me... i'm not arguing with anyone just saying what works for me. do whatever you want. maybe i haven't been hanging on this forum for years but I'm doing label projects, so I think I have a bit of 'cred'. and in my world no one is recording a single note with .56 on drop A!!!

I'm tuning to A standard at the moment, which is giving my 24.5 " Esp some problems with 13-56. I would put on way thicker strings if it weren't for those damn tunings pegs not being able to handle anything thicker. I got a 25.5" Ibanez 7 string though, which works pretty good in A. I just hate that damn floyd, I wish I could rip it off.

just drill the tuning peg out! I did it on my ibanez and it works fine! its a 5/64"ths bit which is a cock-smooch over a 1/16th" which can be a little tough to find and hard to handle! go slow or you may break the bit! And as for the wang bar I just used chunks of wood to completely immobilize the trem. works awsome for low tuning now!