New Attack Attack album

Hey James,

You make good points, and I'm in agreement with most, if not all of them.

My qualm is with the music industry, rather than the music itself. I understand that there is always going to be all sorts of music. Some good, some bad, some purely filler and some done as a blatant grab for as many wallets as possible. That's all good and well, but I don't like seeing the mainstream - the most commercially and financially successful projects - being reduced to what they currently are. I understand that I have a fairly limited personal perspective as far as the flow of years goes, but from all I've heard and seen lately it seems that we are heading head-first into remaking the mistakes made in the 80s. Over-production is rampant to a degree where I can barely stand even having the radio filling up ambient noise in the background. The hits for the last few years have been rehashes of the same simplistic formulas, strained entirely of individuality from the homogenization of the lead vocal (commonly the most identifiable element of popular music) and the incessant over-gridding of the beats and sampling of the instrumentation. The top acts may as well be interchangeable, and I wonder at times: 'is that maybe what the labels want?'.

I know these things work in ebbs and flows. Some times they feel like they stagnate and at others that they jump ahead. At the very moment we seem to have peaked at a period that could almost be called musical regression. Everything has been refined and worked into the ground so much that there is nothing new and remotely refreshing hitting the air waves. As always, the guys in their garages and bedrooms are going to push the limits, but we usually don't see the fruits of that in popular music until many years later, and usually in pretty watered down form.

An industry where where the most transitory and disposable music yields the greatest financial benefits is one that doesn't sit well with me, and never really has. An industry that doesn't foster over-production and the need for repeatability to ensure regular income is one that might actually promote development and progress. Such ideals are perhaps counter-productive to music, and in some ways might lead to another debate about what place big business really has in music. Hopefully in the future, with how things are changing, it will be possible for artists to sustain themselves almost entirely independently and this vulture of an industry will have collapsed around those who lorded it.

My biggest compass, and one of the most ironic aspects of my life was that for a very long time I hated music - or at least I thought I did. The problem, I realized, when I got into my teens was that I was only being exposed to the radio. I had no connection at the time to anything below the surface because my parents were never that big into music. Delving into metal, discovering raw emotion being injected into music so forcefully really resonated with me. From there discovering the power of orchestral and ambient electronic music only furthered my growing love for it. Basically, the point I'm making is that on some level I've *always* hated the majority of popular music. It's always felt soulless, and the industry has always felt wrong. This may be hopelessly preachy, as the idea of changing something that has such rock solid roots seems immensely futile, but it's important that I at least voice my view that the industry which sustains popular music seems to be a detriment to the artistic integrity of music as a whole.

It's something I feel at odds with, being in this line of work. Where will my role lead me down the track? At best, will I just be another extension of one of these corporate mechanisms, just polishing and shitting out yet another transitory product for someone else to get rich off? Is my loyalty to the artist and their vision, or their financial success? I despise the business aspect of the industry, and yet I'm a part of it. It's a contradiction I'm still trying to overcome, if one can truly do such a thing.

well Ermin, i guess i should have specified that all of my statements include the role of the record industry. i still just fail to see your point. it seems to me that your over-arching theme here is that music should not be commercial in any way... well there's plenty of music that at least makes claims to that ideal, but i don't guess there's much of a career in recording "avant-garde djembe & theramin trance-jazz musiqué concrete fusion", lol. i hope you can see my point.. because really, if you seriously can't find enough bands to work with that don't make your conscience quake, you may very well have gotten into the wrong line of work if your goal is to be happy in your job.

Egan, thanks for the further thoughts... agreed, and appreciated.

Thanks you Egan and Mr. Murphy.

Ermz, again, no one is really arguing with what you are saying but it seems to me you expect the music industry to promote deeper/better/etc. music and that's not how things work. If the industry really is promoting something it's the thing that feeds it. This goes on until the particular trend is milked to exhaustion and a new one is started. There is no breaking this cycle simply because the power is to a large extent in the hands(/wallets) of the mases and they tend to want a more superficial, relaxing music or one suitable for parties or for some recurring state of mind.

+10,000

I would rather listen to Attack Attack! than most stuff that was popular in the 80s and 90s, even.

dude the 90's???????!! the 90's were awesome. Anything that was popular was pretty damn good in ANY genre. Alternative rock? you got gin blossoms or foo fighters or nirvana or what have you. Metal? pantera, slayer. Hip Hop? Wu Tang, busta rhymes, arrested development.
Wilco, goo goo dolls, NIN
Music was thriving in the 90's in all genre's.

the 90's were awesome. TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!! :loco:

i saw that gareth got banned elsewhere and went pokin around to find the thread that put 'em over the edge. found it!! now i demand the last 20 minutes of my life be returned, please. :lol:

at any rate, this album will surpass the last album

when the band was here hanging out and doing a new song a month ago, we were laughing at the old cd and how shitty it is

if any of you like the band, or just the production, you'll dig the next offering.

I'm thinking backlash may be in effect. I think any extra sales will be from more marketing they will get. Forcing it down the throat rather than the hype they got from internet infamy.

whats that... hits of the 80's??

Genuinely love this song ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
4000+ views in 1 day.
This should seriously be deleted.

Or at least the title changed?

dude the 90's???????!! the 90's were awesome. Anything that was popular was pretty damn good in ANY genre. Alternative rock? you got gin blossoms or foo fighters or nirvana or what have you. Metal? pantera, slayer. Hip Hop? Wu Tang, busta rhymes, arrested development.
Wilco, goo goo dolls, NIN
Music was thriving in the 90's in all genre's.

the 90's were awesome. TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!! :loco:

I was gonna explode too for the same reason :)

I'm 22 so I grew through 90's music, and it's clear it was the gold age of many modern styles. I even like 90's pop music !

Don't be retarded ....you know what i meant.....of course Andy and James are on another level than joey..those guys were successful even before recording bands....I wasnt really talking about them ......i'm just talking about the sneapsters here.

And the other ppl you named have nothing to do with this board so i don't understand why you named them

Best production chops here?
Hmm, I'd say Sneap and James Murphy still have better chops than him in that regard.
I'd also say that Sturgis no match for Andy Wallace, Chris Lord-Alge, David Bendeth, Daniel Bergstrand and Jens Bogren for mixing abilities either, and note most of the names I listed there are always top rate producers as well.
Hell, AFAIK, Bogren tracked, mixed, mastered and produced Watershed and to have been able to handle all those tasks and turn out, what IMO, is one of most awesome sounding records this decade is no easy feat.
AFAIK Sneap also did all production duties (mix, master, engineer, produce) for This Godless Endeavor, and I consider that to easily be in the top 10 best sounding productions this decade.
I mean, don't get me wrong, Sturgis is a bad muthafucker with a set of ears I could only dream for at this moment, but he still has many years before he joins the ranks of the best of the best (such as the ones I listed) and I'm sure if you asked himself what he thought, he'd agree that's not quite among the top of the heap yet.

Sorry to see this thread get so ugly. I thought it was cool at first how the term "crab core" caught on here and then the band themselves began using it, seemed like at least the humor was in both directions and was all in fun. Regardless of what you think of some of the bands he produces, Joey does undeniably great work, and is a cool guy, and I would hate to see him leave the forum just because of some immaturity.

In any event, I thought I'd post a sign I saw and photographed recently in town:

CrabCore.jpg

It actually says "Crab Cove" but I noticed the "v" in Cove looked a lot like a lower case "r" flipped backwards - so 5 minutes in Photoshop and now the sign is perfect. :lol:

Thanks you Egan and Mr. Murphy.

Ermz, again, no one is really arguing with what you are saying but it seems to me you expect the music industry to promote deeper/better/etc. music and that's not how things work. If the industry really is promoting something it's the thing that feeds it. This goes on until the particular trend is milked to exhaustion and a new one is started. There is no breaking this cycle simply because the power is to a large extent in the hands(/wallets) of the mases and they tend to want a more superficial, relaxing music or one suitable for parties or for some recurring state of mind.

This is probably the perfect summation of Ermz issue. It IS a self cycling issue that can't be cured. Because people are scared of the consequence in their own backyard. That's why governmental revolutions don't happen. Everyone is scared to lose everything. And apparently being part of the machine is easier than trying to bring it down!

I think that's fairly true from what I've witnessed and researched :)