New Balance of Power is simply awesome

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
I finally picked up the new BOP, "Heathen Machine" after having a hard time finding it in stock anywhere. If you didn't know, Lance King has been replaced by John K. and the band pursues a much heavier, darker and progressive direction with "Heathen Machine." I'm a big fan of Lance's sweet voice, so I didn't know what to expect from this CD except for a few short clips from the band's website which pursuaded me to buy the CD.

I'm absolutely thrilled with the CD, vocalist, and new change in direction with this band. I'm a big fan of classic Geoff Tate, and John K sounds like a more aggressive Tate while remaining just as fluid and pure. Although comparisons with Tate are certainly valid (especially at the higher registers), I do think John has his own sound - and it's a perfect fit for the songwriting on Heathen Machine.

Regarding Lance King, I think he is in the top 1% of melodic metal vocalists today. He played on three great BOP albums. That said, I think that a new BOP disc with Lance would have sounded pretty much like all the other CDs with Lance on vocals. That wouldn't be a bad thing, but I like to see bands challenge themselves, grow, and avoid getting in a rut (Rhapsody comes to mind, as skilled as they are). In my opinion Lance's style had ran its course with BOP – and it was a great run (just like Barlow and Iced Earth). Change is unavoidable and it is difficult, but it is the only way to move on, explore, and develop the creative skills of an artist.

I appreciate the guts it took BOP to change direction and the wisdom of asking John K to join the band. There is no way Lance's (or Tate's) voice could fit with the heavier and much more aggressive nature of the new songs. Heathen Machine is just what the doctor ordered for me. I can't remember the last time that a CD has so completely blown me away on the very first listen.

The CD gets a 10/10 from me, and I highly recommned it for fans who like their prog very heavy, melodic, and polished. The production on the CD is also top notch.

Balance of Power is certainly deserving of a return invite to PP USA in the future.

The Fiddler said:
I finally picked up the new BOP, "Heathen Machine"...
What took so long?

I had it as my #1 CD of 2003. It absolutely kills. John K. has joined my short list of favorite vocalists; Barlow, Allen, Dane, Lande, and Khan.

Anyone who is a fan or Power, Prog or things melodic needs to own this CD.

Zod

I enjoy the new BOP and the new vocalists, John K. as well but the "new style" has some faults I hope they can work out. For one, the music sounds "mushy" and the instruments bleed together quite a bit to me. While that may be a production issue, I really enjoyed the "old BOP" guitar bass, drum and keyboard tones.
If they can take a little of the old and blend it with the new, I think they could get better in my ears but we will see....

Bryant

Anyone who worships Wolf Hoffman's tone and despises Michael Romeo's can't be taken seriously.

In all seriousness, I think the production on "Heathen Machine" is simply flawless.

Zod