new "comprehensive" black metal site

unknown

fuck ftagn
Oct 27, 2003
The Red Tower
http://www.norsksvartmetall.com/main2.htm

The purpose of this site will eventually be to harness a complete discography of Norwegian Black Metal.
An A-Z of Norwegian Black metal bands, is under construction. Each band, each release has been personally acquired and all this sites written contents are the authors [unless stated]. The 100 Norwegian band list does not have any releases under two years old, [unless part of a more established band] even though many recent releases are worthy of such.

innnnnteresting. especially the top 100 norwegian black metal albums.

thoughts?

There's a shitload of filler on that list, and some incorrect information. For example, Massemord, Sykdom, and Beastcraft really suck, and anyone really into "Norwegian Black Metal" would not praise these albums. And the information about Faustcoven is blatantly wrong. Gunnar has since put out a split 7" with Koldbrann with a song called Orgy In Sodom and he's currently working on the second album called Rising From Below The Earth (or something like that), and the demo track of the guitar and drum parts that I heard lead me to believe that it will be phenomenal. So they're far from "one of those one man bands that appeared and vanished like a puff of Satanic smog."

Actually they are, I would know seeing as I have their first two albums sitting in my trade box upstairs.

Borknagar in the top 10 is always a plus. Interesting that they chose their first album (though it is the most "tr00"-sounding).

Well A Blaze in the Northern Sky absolutely slays the latter 2/3 of the unholy trilogy. UAFM sounds rather stale compared to the refreshing ABITNS.

A Blaze In The Northern Sky is the most immediately gratifying of their early releases, but over time, I've found that overall Under A Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger are better, yet I still listen to A Blaze In The Northern Sky more.

Because it's the most popular and the most deserving of its popularity. Not a bad list. Ved Buens Ende should have been higher.

indeed, but I can understand why it's not ranked higher...as amazing of an album it is, it didn't exactly pave the way for hordes of clone bands or inspire the rest of the norwegian scene...it was kind of like a "Hey, that's pretty cool see what we can do with black metal" moment, but it didn't change the direction of black metal.

I was happy to see Kvist on the list

A Blaze In The Northern Sky is the most immediately gratifying of their early releases, but over time, I've found that overall Under A Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger are better

Indeed. It's utterly eclipsed by the two albums that came next. Nowadays I even prefer Total Death.

I highly contest the order of this list, particularly Borknagar, Satyricon, Gehenna, and Dimmu Borgir in the top ten. The fact that they're all above Gorgoroth and Ildjarn is fucking laughable as far as I'm concerned.

Also, not including Mock - although they're mentioned in the description of Kampfar as pre-Kampfar - and including crap like Solefald is pretty much inexcusable. Vinterlandet by Mock almost deserves Kampfar's spot, seeing as it's better than everything the aforementioned band released.

Otherwise, I'm pleased to see lesser known bands like Isvind, Tulus, Obtained Enslavement, Forgotten Woods, Fimbulwinter, Abysmal and Suffering all included, and there's a fair amount of late 90s releases there I need to check out.

Meh, although I do applaud the site for mentioning Old Man Child's "Born of the Flickering." I wouldn't necessarily say its groundbreaking or amazing or anything like that but in my opinion its a great album and very underrated, and certainly better than anything else Galder made.

What's Tartaros like? I was interested reading the description of symphonic and resembling early Emperor.

Tartaros is excellent. Think early Emperor but more symphonic and carnivalesque. Start with their debut EP The Grannd Psychotic Castle. I haven't heard much of their album The Red Jewel but it seems to have progressed from the EP, so TGPC is good for any symphonic BM fan.

tartaros-the_grand_psychotic_castle.jpg

some of those albums are worthless. it gets annoying how he just mentions one album per band, but i can see the reasoning. no Anthems to the welkin at dusk?

i do respect the work that went into that. at least he describes each album instead of just listing them

Tartaros is excellent. Think early Emperor but more symphonic and carnivalesque. Start with their debut EP The Grannd Psychotic Castle. I haven't heard much of their album The Red Jewel but it seems to have progressed from the EP, so TGPC is good for any symphonic BM fan.

tartaros-the_grand_psychotic_castle.jpg
These samples of them on Amazon sound excellent from the EP, the price isnt bad either, about 9 $, though I couldn't listen to the full length, I may take a chance and buy that instead.