new dimebag police report released.

most handguns, even a police issue Glock .45 have neither immediate stopping power nor total lethality...
Hmmm... that's not how I understood it. I'm under the impression that if you get with a .45, you're going to die. I was also under the impression that police were typically issued 9mm, for just that reason.

Interesting side note... I have a close friend whose an ATF agent. For years, they were issued 9mm. However, the Feds did a study that concluded, during gun fights, agents rarely fired more than 5 shots. To that end, they elected to go with the additional stopping power of a .45 over the additional capacity of a 9mm.

Zod

Don't know from personal experience, I just read that somewhere. My understanding is that they use shotguns for lethality and "stopping power" but because of the obvious drawbacks of walking around with shotguns, their only choice is a handgun. Notice Niggemeyer didn't go in the club with his handgun drawn.

Also interesting: I've heard the idea of "stopping power" is a myth.

Stopping power is frequently more an issue of ammunition than calibur (within reason, no ammo is going to really save a .22). The higher the power of a firearm, the better chance of it blowing through its target. However, if you can disperse the force on impact, it reduces the likelihood of such, and more importantly, the force is transmitted to said target causing a touch of knockback, though nothing like movies show. A shotgun using standard shotload will have knock back because multiple projectiles are impacting and imparting their kinetic energy. Even slugs musrhoom out so dramatically that they tend to stay in the body, tearing up the interior but not retaining enough energy to blow through the target. A .45 will have more stopping power compared to a 9mm largely due to a higher velocity plus the larger round. Both weapons with a piercing-type round will shoot through the target, the wall, and possibly your neighbor's dog. Something like a Black Talon or Hydroshock, however, will really spread on impact, doing maximum damage and not leaving the body. The stoppage is more based on how much energy the body absorbs, hence how much damage.

Hmmm... that's not how I understood it. I'm under the impression that if you get with a .45, you're going to die. I was also under the impression that police were typically issued 9mm, for just that reason.

Interesting side note... I have a close friend whose an ATF agent. For years, they were issued 9mm. However, the Feds did a study that concluded, during gun fights, agents rarely fired more than 5 shots. To that end, they elected to go with the additional stopping power of a .45 over the additional capacity of a 9mm.

Zod

*who's