New DTB lineup or Old DTB lineup ?

all4dametal

Aug 25, 2003
I've now seen both the SYL guy's play some of Dev's solo stuff at a SYL show a few years back and I've seen the DTB live for the first time a few weeks ago. What's everyones opinion on the new lineup versus the old lineup ?

I personally like the new lineup a little more. Don't get me wrong, Gene, Byron and Jed are insane players in their own right but I find the new lineup for Devin is more suited to his solo music. Gene is an insane drummer, actually in my opinion one of the best in the world for metal but I find Ryan (dtb drummer) has more groove (which I've read many times from other people), he's solid as hell with great chops and he looks like he loves every minute of it. Gene is almost too tight for Devin's solo stuff. I was impressed with Ryan's parts on AE and how he nailed Gene's drumparts live, especially "Earthday". Jed to me is 100% METAL and I thought he looked a little cheesy playing Devin's solo stuff, where as Bryan (dtb guitarist) fit's in nicely and suits the band image. Jed is one of the coolest metal guitar players out there but I think that is the only style of music he suits. Byron is like Jed....FULL METAL ! I think Jed and Byron are very similar as far as being 100 % metal. Mike Young (dtb bassist) is an awesome bass player, I was really blown away by his playing live and you can tell he loves it up there same with his brother Dave on Keyboards. I just hope Mike's bass part's are heard more on the next DTB record. He play's cool stuff.

To sum up my opinion, I think the new DTB lineup enjoys the music a little more than the SYL guy's do and I think they play the music with more feeling and it showed when they played live. When I saw SYL play Devin's solo stuff a few years back, they almost looked bored ! All the musicians involved with Devin's projects have to be awesome players to play his music but I think certain members suit certain projects. I'm glad Devin has finally given his solo music an identity and he has found the perfect people to do it, the same goes for SYL, how can you replace the SYL lineup.....you can't !

What's everyone else's opinion on this matter ?

Hey, does anybody know how long DTB plays on the symphony x tour?

or the set list?

I don't think Jed and Byron are all metal, they must love metal but, they are all simply rock'n roll.

calling them metal guitarist is, in my opinion not good.

nevermind who cares it doesn't matter.

Hey Ketsukusa,

I did'nt mean any dis-respect towards Jed and Byron. I just find that they are more suited to a metal type band. I could'nt see them playing with a band like Incubus or something.....I just recall them looking out of place and bored when I saw them play Devin's solo stuff a few years ago, when they played the SYL part of the set, they all of a sudden had life and were loving it.

It's all good, I love SYL and like I said before, you cannot replace anyone in that band ! We all know that Jed and Byron are very talented musicians and can probably serve up any style of music, but I think metal is there calling. No dis-respect !!!

Kleo's ruined this forum for me. I really wanted to come here to talk Devy stuff with others but this fucking moron constantly ruins every interesting thread. Congratulations.

Eh go cry to your mom if she hasn't already drowned in tears of regret as a direct result of realizing her child is such a piddling weak schmuck.

Why are you such a wanker? I just thought it'd be cool since I post in the other UM forums here if I could come here for Dev stuff...jeez, seeing every single thread ruined by cries of "ME!!!" or stupidly long image sigs makes you look like a 10 year old.

This is what I see: What sig?

Report Post | IP: Logged

* Today, 10:00 AM

Post #14

Judas Pissed
MEATL

You know, dick.

------

No sig!

I adore Gene's drumming on Terria. I think it's so imaginative at times, and it adds to that list of things I keep (or, kept) discovering on that album. Ryan, and I can only base this opinion on recording, plays it a bit straightforward on AE and when I first heard it, I felt something was lacking. Other than that, I have no real qualms with either line-up.