New Epica album

Elnimio

May 24, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
Is pretty freaking awesome. Much darker and heavier than anything they have done before. Blows new After Forever out of the water. The only downside is that the orchestral sounds don't sound very.... real. Were they supposed to use an orchestra for this album, or at least real instruments?

Do they rely as heavily on the orchestra as the last two albums? It's always been my major peeve about them. Remove the orchestra and you're listening to the same song 10 times in a row.

No, there's actually not much of an orchestral soundscape in the album, which I honestly miss. You might like it better though, since you were not a fan of it...

I like how more "metal" the drums are.. the new session drummer breathes a new life into the Epica sound. He makes it a lot more lively and dynamic as opposed to the former "technical, yet cold and on the mark" sound of previous albums.

I am looking foward to this cd very much and cannot wait to see them in New York this summer!!!!!!!!!! When Is this cd's release date?

New album is awesome stuff, I don't think it comes anywhere near After Forever's new one though.

BTW, anyone in Southern California that are fans of Epica, my friends band Symetrica are opening up for them at the Whisky. So if any of you are planning on going, and would enjoy helping out a bunch of broke 6 year old boys playing Prog Metal, please follow the link in my sig and message them for tickets. :)

I like how more "metal" the drums are.. the new session drummer breathes a new life into the Epica sound. He makes it a lot more lively and dynamic as opposed to the former "technical, yet cold and on the mark" sound of previous albums.

That may have something to do with the fact that the session drummer is Ariën Van Weesenbeek from God Dethroned. Yeah, I too enjoyed the more "metal" drumming on this album, but that's not to say I disliked Epica's drums before.

I like this album, and I'm sure to buy it as soon as its released.

Eh... On first listen it's pretty much more of that same guitar riff with orchestrations to make an actual variation to the music. It certainly is much harder overall though which is generally the area I have always prefered of their music. The ballads bore me to tears and I'm generally a fan of ballads. I'll get the CD but not sure it's enough to provoke me to see their concert though.

I am looking foward to this cd very much and cannot wait to see them in New York this summer!!!!!!!!!! When Is this cd's release date?

http://www.bravewords.com/news/69718

It was initially reported that EPICA would release their new album, The Divine Conspiracy, in North America on September 7th. The release date has now been changed to August 28th.

As previously reported, the album will be released in Germany on September 7th and in the rest of Europe on September 10th.

The Divine Conspiracy features the following tracklisting: 'Indigo' (Prologue), 'The Obsessive Devotion', 'Menace Of Vanity', 'Chasing The Dragon', 'Never Enough', 'La'fetach Chatat Rovetz (The Final Embrace)', 'Death Of A Dream (The Embrace That Smothers - Part VII)', 'Fools Of Damnation (The Embrace That Smothers - Part VIII)', 'Living A Lie (The Embrace That Smothers - Part IX)', 'Beyond Belief', 'Safeguard To Paradise', 'Sancta Terra', 'The Divine Conspiracy'.

An audio sample of 'Menace Of Vanity' can be found on Epica's official MySpage page. Go to this location to check it out.

The Divine Conspiracy is fucking great! It needs to be spun several times for everything to fully sink in, otherwise it may pass in a bit of a blur, and you're like "OK, I just got my ass handed to me in a very elegant manner, but I wish I could remember all of what happened" :D

The Phantom Agony hooked me in a fierce way...Consign To Oblivion I liked, but didn't grab me in the same way and was missing some aggression. But my god, the band seriously brought the heavy and the epic this time around. It's funny because some thought Epica would move in a more "commercial", watered-down direction...uhh, no. Indigo is another nice intro, but The Obsessive Devotion is definitely my favorite leading track of the 3 albums. Chasing The Dragon has some great melodies and Simone sounds so sweet here, and I love that it kind of suckerpunches you with the heavy part.

The Embrace That Smothers trio is the highlight of the album for me...just amazing. The dual growl interplay on Death Of A Dream is both brutal and catchy...those lines stick in my head like plastic explosive ;) Fools Of Damnation is my current fave...it all comes together on this track...the eastern flare, Simone, growls, choirs, intensity, cool spoken word part. The next few tracks are a bit more relaxed, and well done. The 14 minute title cut is a beast...maybe not quite as dynamic as the CTO title track, but I really dig it.

I haven't heard the album yet, will be getting it as soon as I can.

IN other related stuff, I can't wait to hear her perform on the next Ayreon album, the acapella piece was nice sounding, should sound great with the instruments.