Epica Question...

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Does anyone know why the new Epica album is missing all the accoustic classical instruments they had in the past? All the symph sounds are on keyboard. Its not a bad album; its just after the previous two, I wasn't expecting such a generic keyboard sound. When your music is mostly staccato syncopated fifths; you refuse to play guitar solos (you're already writing 14 minute songs, so don't give me this "less is more" nonsense :lol:); and employ the same keyboard sound.... well, the sound gets a little dry after the first hour.

I was wondering where the band got all that money to make those big budget recordings for the first two albums. How come the new album is all on keyboards instead?

Some of you will probably think I'm trashing the band. I wouldn't have seen them twice live and have all their albums if I didn't like the band; so I'll preempt my response to those likely responses now :) They're a great band; I just have a few qualms with some of what they do and was curious if someone could explain to me WHY they do things the way they're doing perhaps. The refusal to play any guitar solos thing just bugs me. You're a prog band... I mean, come on!! :lol:

Peace Out,
The Michael

This has been a gripe of mine for a long time. I mean I love past Epica albums especially CTO...but I would get so much more out of the band if they had guitar solos. I have to be in the mood for Epica because a lot of their songs are so flat. Great stuff, just not super Dynamic.

Speaking of Epica, i finally found some time to process some of the gig pics form the past years into viewable files on the website. I remember i promised Todd some more of Simone a while back, but i just need a decent navigation on the site before it will go public.

Working on the pics from the gig with Kamelot in 'De Boerderij' i had to deal with the very odd lights on stage and most of the shots ended up in the recycle bin.

The rest will go public very soon (i have to speed up, PP is coming as well)

Henk

despite the make-up and blue-ish light this one ended up pretty nice in B&W:
DSC_6982.jpg

The dottet lights ruined a lot of pics, but not this one:
DSC_7045.jpg