New Evergrey video!

I've only listened to the song about 25 times today and so it's hard for me to form an opinion at this point. LOL

I think the song is great - the video is another Patric Ulleaus amazing work of art - and am definitely happy to see Henrik and Jonas return to the fold. Now, all I'm left to wonder is which one of them is coming with Tom to Atlanta for the listening party (well, that, and how the rest of the album sounds - but if the first song is any indication I'm going to be a happy man when my limited edition box set arrives.) :)

That's both a return to form and a new beginning. I kinda figured Henrik was the new guitarist and I'm thankful. He and Tom are one of the best tandems I can remember. They really seem refreshed with this new material, and it doesn't seem like a Tom Englund solo album. Torn and Glorious lost me but this has roped me back in, hell yeah.

A couple listens into the album:

The Pros: Way better than the last two, though to me that is a pretty low bar to hop over to me. I can already tell there are some amazing songs on here, The Grand Collapse is a standout right away.

The Cons: While better than the last couple, I am not sure it has a chance to break into my top 3 or 4 albums favorite Evergrey albums. I know it is not uncommon for a band with this many albums to have some parts or riffs sound similar to their previous songs, but it seems very noticeable to me on this album. I keep hearing riffs and phrasing that are real similar to past songs.

But I still have to listen a lot more to get a good feel for it. But at least for the first time in awhile I am looking forward to repeat listens instead of being trepidatious.

I love this new album. Really good. Is this one so good because of the guys that returned? This is the first one I've bought since The Inner Circle as that one never clicked with me after loving Recreation Day and especially In Search of Truth. Still bummed I lost my t-shirt at the show the year they played all of ISOT. I know I've missed a few in between and honestly all I seem to remember is mixed reviews on all of them. I know there's some big Evergrey fans here, are the albums in between Inner Circle and this one worth going back and getting?

I love this new album. Really good. Is this one so good because of the guys that returned? This is the first one I've bought since The Inner Circle as that one never clicked with me after loving Recreation Day and especially In Search of Truth. Still bummed I lost my t-shirt at the show the year they played all of ISOT. I know I've missed a few in between and honestly all I seem to remember is mixed reviews on all of them. I know there's some big Evergrey fans here, are the albums in between Inner Circle and this one worth going back and getting?

Short answer is no. I am in the minority as I really enjoyed Monday Morning Apocalypse. Many people thought it was too poppy. While MMA is not up to par with ISOT, IC and RD, I would take it over the last three. Maybe they reacted to the criticisms of MMA, by purposefully trying not to write commercial sounding songs. The result to my ears is that they forgot how to write a memorable chorus/melody. The new one has a few, but nowhere near their classic albums. And to me Torn and Glorious Collision were almost devoid of them with the exception of one or two songs.

I've only been able to listen to it once and that was at progpower. I really need to listen to it again but it isn't on spotify yet. I was not immediately impressed with it when I heard it. It was more like "Evergrey makes a hard rock album". Then near the end it was like "Evergrey writes 12 slight variations of the same plodding hard rock song". There was not nearly enough metal on this album. I don't even remember feeling the urge to bob my head to most of it.

Maybe I'm remembering it too poorly. I really should listen to it again..

Its been awhile since a cd has not left my player for weeks, in heavy rotation. Its also been awhile since Evergrey has released anything new. Coincidence perhaps?
When I heard that we , as gold badge holders at ProgPowerUSA, were going to have an Evergrey cd listening party I was excited. I didn't know what to expect, but knowing Glenn Harveston, knew it would be something fun and an addition to the greatness that is ProgPowerUSA. When we got into the building and found our seats it was time to hear "Hymns For The Broken" for the 1st time. Being inside of a venue for live music I knew the sound quality was going to be lacking, so I resisted commenting until I had the chance to dig into the cd a bit.
Now that I've listened to this cd 7 or 8 times I feel I can review this.
"The Awakening"- A oddly eerie spoken word intro leads us into Hymns, and leads directly into ""King of Errors", the 1st single. Instantly recognizable as Evergrey, its a safe and warm welcome back into the band. "A New Dawn" follows with the choir ...Civitas...Civitas Diablo..." straight into the best chorus I've heard in a while...On and On, We Rise We Fall...welcome back Evergrey, you are kicking my ass right now!
"Wake A Change" follows with a quiet piano and a heavier chorus after. Tom sounds fantastic here and I get this strange feeling that this disc is not going to let me down at all. There hasn't been a weak moment yet!
"Archaic Rage" follows the same pattern as the previous song with a quiet piano, but the riffs start coming hard and heavy shortly into this song and the chorus crushes!!! Midway through the song we get a nice melodic albeit short solo and some more spoken word. This song is fantastic!
"Barricades" takes an odd path with its downtuned riffing and odd sounding keys to start and a strummed verse with bluesy guitar, but Tom Englund sounds fantastic here also, so once you're expecting this song, it fits nicely.
"Black Undertow" is heavy as fuck without being heavy as fuck if that makes any sense. "The Fire" follows and quickens the pace, harkening back to earlier Evergrey. Think "Inner Circle" era with childrens chorus.
"Hymns For The Broken" to me is the best song on the disc and possibly the best song Evergrey has written! I can't find fault anywhere up to this point!
"Missing You" is your typical emotional Evergrey ballad, adding more strokes of darkness and light into the palette, and what a picture they're painting!
"The Grand Collapse" and "The Aftermath" finish this monster off in style, and I'm left in a heap, sweaty and confused as to what just ripped my soul out and devoured me! Yes, its that fucking good! Best cd of the year by far! There is not a bad song on this disc and this ambitious cd is the best one of Evergrey's career so far!
If you're a fan of the metal genre, this is a must own cd! Even if you're not a fan, this cd may just make you one.