New fan in the house

orcslayr23

Jan 30, 2008
CT, USA
Hi everyone! I literally just discovered Amorphis less than an hour ago and it was one of those experiences where I just went "where has this band been all my life?!" I've only heard about 4 or 5 songs thus far but i'll be buying a lot of their music before long. I look forward to getting to know some of you better and being able to join in your discussions about this band!

Skyforger. After, I heard House of Sleep, I of Crimson Blood, Her Alone, and Silent Waters. I was bored at work and decided to give my iPod a rest and check out some new music on soundtracker, and Amorphis came up. Needless to say i'm hooked. I'm a sucker for a unique and powerful voice.

I'm thinking of starting with the album Silent Waters, most of the songs i've heard of theirs are from that album. Anyone have any other suggestions?

When I read the thread title, I though someone of the regulars' had a kid or something.

As for albums, I'd personally go in a chronological order, from the very first, The Karelian Isthmus - that's death metal though, not sure if you like that - and then proceed with all other albums (you can skip Far From the Sun, for the time being :) ).
However, since all of the songs you mentioned are from Tomi J era, you could start with Eclipse.

Skyforger. Good choice! :D

One of my all-time favorites. The album of the same name happens to be my favorite, too. I count myself lucky to own the Japanese edition with ...

But yeah, any of the Joutsen era albums make for a good start, Eclipse being particularly accessible. Check out Magic & Mayhem (compilation of ancient stuff re-recorded by the current line-up) as well.

And hey, welcome to the Amo forum!!! :headbang: What other bands are you into?

Last edited by a moderator:
And hey, welcome to the Amo forum!!! :headbang: What other bands are you into?

Thanks! I'll try to keep this short but some bands i'm really into are Kamelot, Elvenking, In Flames, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Mnemic, While Heaven Wept Paradise Lost, Seventh Wonder, Sonic Syndicate, The Unguided, Firewind, Amaranthe, Meshuggah, and Nightwish.

Welcome! I recommend Joutsen era at first too but album Tales of Thousand Lakes is a legend so that too.

Hi all, glad to have found this Amorphis forum, thanks for providing ;)

Having been a longtime metal fan of particular the likes of Paradise Lost, Sentenced early Poisonblack and Nightwish etc, oh and never really recovered from the folding of my much loved Charon several years ago and knowing only that Amorphis were from Finland and similar in nature to many other favorite acts, on a whim picked up Circle last week on CD and was completely blown away by just the first few songs! How I missed these guys is beyond me but thankfully better late than never right? Have now listened online to all the current lineup records and bought a ton of their material, SKYFORGER is kicking me to the head something fierce and have the CD on order already \m/

Cheers from Down Under :kickass:

Cheers tuonelan.

And too right regarding the pockets being lean. Was however fortunate to get a little extra coin to spend this week so could afford to add The Beginning Of Times to my order today! Birthday money well spent! :kickass:

Now the long wait for that and Skyforger to arrive in couple weeks ;)