new fan of metal...

muse_dude

New Metal Member
Oct 6, 2004
anyone recommend me some bands? i only just started listening to metal and have no idea what bands there are...
bands so far i like r metallica (old), at the gates, old in flames, children of bodom and blind guardian...other bands i should check out? and i can't stand vocals like opeth :p

so far so good.. you start from the good basics, imho.
try many different bands.. different genres of metal to see what you like the most.

check out the bands in my sig.
Heavenly
Dragonland
Wintersun
and hit up my aim or MSN if you have them.

and I dont know how I found this band. probably from one of the 24 death metal threads, but Spawn of Possession has been playing non stop on my computer!!!

Some good bands you should check out are: Exodus, Slayer(old), Sacred Reich, Lost Horizon, Iron Maiden, Bathory, Battlelore, Manowar, Macabre, majesty, gamma ray, hammerfall, adagio, symphony x, amon amarth, Motorhead, Dio, Judas Priest, Iced earth and Wolf

try these: Vio-Lence, Megadeth, Kreator, Dark Angel, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Hypnosia, Assassin, Heathen, Morbid Saint, Death Angel, Exumer, Coroner and so on, and when you can handle all of that you move on to Nifelheim, Deathwitch, Grand Belial's Key, Immortal, Negurã Bunget, Kvist, Funeral Mist, Carpathian Forest, Datkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, Beherit, Drudkh, Nokturnal Mortum, Hate Forest, Aryan Terrorism, Ulver, Watain, Ondskapt. Let me know when you've tried those.

Ok I'm new too (started 5 months ago)... but I'll tell you what I consider good stuff and the basics.

You'll be told that Children of Bodom are terrible/posers whatever but just ignore it if you like it (I do)... you'll find as I did that people here are quite unforgiving towards bands they don't like...

Bands I'd reccommend:

Immortal
Suidakra (v. good band!)
Ensiferum
Dark Tranquility
Lengsel
Kalmah
Amon Amarth (just got into these guys good stuff)

That's all I can think of ATM...

The above are all fairly melodic (but all in totally different ways), with the heaviest prolly being Lengsel...

Now now before you get into the "recommend me something that i like" you should know the basics of eachs genre. For example:

Death: Possessed, Death, Cannibal Corpse (not influential, just so damn famous), Morbid Angel etc...
Thrash: Overkill(the first), Exodus, Metallica(even though you know them allready, i still list it.), Megadeth (did you know them? anyway), Slayer.

You must know all the above bands or you will get shitted on. There are a lot more, but im just too lazy...

Well, for gothenburg/melodeath/whatever, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates and In Flames are the three bands you must know.

Listen to fotmbm, and ignore EternalEnemy.

You can use www.metal-archives.com to get a general idea of the style played by any bands you're interested in, and read some reviews to find out the qualities of specific albums. Just don't take anyone's opinion too seriously and make up your own mind. A p2p program like DC++ might help if you haven't got much money.

similar to blind guardian: gravedigger, sonata arctica, rhapsody
similar to at the gates/bodom: dissection, emperor (later. but you may like early as well), arch enemy, kalmah
similar (better) to metallica: kreator, sodom, dekapitator, destruction

other stuff i would reccomend you check out: bathory (black metal), enslaved (black metal), emperor (black metal), death (death metal), anata (death metal), exhumed (goregrind), impaled (goregrind), cephalic carnage (death/grind/wierd), age of silence (black metal/avant garde)
~gR~

i'd say start with more melodic stuff, and generally get more extreme, but i would say not to jump into things , it took me awhile to get into Black Metal, (it was worth it) :)

recently ive been listening to:
Nocturnal Rites
Septic Breed
Spawn of Possesion
Dragonforce ( saw them last night heheh it ruled!!)
Naglfar

so check them out if you can.

Go buy Judas Priest's Stained Class, Sad Wings of Destiny and Painkiller NOW. I mean, RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

If you like old Metallica, check out Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax for starters. Also have a listen to Helloween, Mercyful Fate, and of course Iron Maiden. Check back and tell me what you think of these and I'll recommend more.

I know im old fashion but I would say start with Metal from the beginning and move through its history.. starting with Black Sabbath... get any album up to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath... the others can recommend their later stuff (of non ozzy i recommend Heaven & Hell , Mob Rules) ... then listen to metal after that.. perhaps Deep Purple... next would be Judas Priest (anything with Halford up to Painkiller) and Maiden (get maiden albums up to Seventh son of the Seventh son)... from there move onto thrash.. Metallica you already have covered but only get their first 3 albums and perhaps And Justice for All as well... other thrash bands to get are Motorhead (i consider them the grandaddies of thrash), Sacred Reich, Forbidden, Vio-Lence, Exodus, Testament, Death Angel, D.R.I. , Nuclear Assault, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, Flotsam & Jetsam,Slayer etc... perhaps from there move into Death and Black Metal...

Death (these are all the more popular bands so it might help you to get into these first before you move onto more heavier extreme bands):
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Possessed

Black Metal (same note as above):

Venom
Bathory
Dimmu Borgir
Immortal
Satyricon
Mayhem
Emperor
Old Man's Child

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, older thrash, etc. aren't essential. It's good stuff and all, but if you find yourself liking heavier, more deathy things, go listen to those first. You'll get used to the vocals too. The suggestions here are all good.

EternalEnemy, there ARE bands outside the USA, you know... And that does not mean "gothenburg"

So you would disagree with me? I mean if he thinks "hmm, perhaps i would like to get into thrash. now how the hell do i start?" what would you do then? Sure, he should get other bands too, but you should know just a few most important bands first.
And those gothenburg bands...Now my point wasnt to lead him to european scene and say "start with gothenburg-these bands are killer!" but more like "if you listen to gothenburg, be sure to know these bands to know at least something about it." I mean imagine someone coming and saying "recommend me something like Nightrage". Well, thats not a bad thing, of course, but what if he means stuff like Slaughter Of the Soul from ATG? To know how to describe the recommendations he wants he should know the basic bands wheter he likes them or not. Its better to ask for something that is similiar to a mainstream/not so underground band than to ask for something similiar to "band named Gråmfåstiutsstian from Norway", since no one will know what the fuck it sounds like. Everyone knows what ATG sounds like.
An no, im not saying that Nightrage is grim, tr00 and underground, but i believe its more underground than ATG. I mean Nightrage wasnt the first band unlike ATG (am i correct with this? i believe ATG was the first).

So, lets get back to thrash. When you read a review, its very likely for you to see someone describing the music by comparing it to some of those bands i listed. You could see those bands as "styles". "Sounds more like band number 1 than band 2 two, but its pretty much like a mix between band number 1 and 3." Get it?

Well im kinda a n00b myself, but anyway.

Listen to fotmbm, and ignore EternalEnemy.

No, i have a point here. I didnt quite say "these are the first bands to get", more like "these are the first bands to get from this genre" and i didnt mean to say "these are the good bands, to start liking this genre you must get this" but more like "to be introduced to this genre, you need to know these bands first".