new fan of metal...

EternalEnemy, there ARE bands outside the USA, you know... And that does not mean "gothenburg"

So you would disagree with me? I mean if he thinks "hmm, perhaps i would like to get into thrash. now how the hell do i start?" what would you do then? Sure, he should get other bands too, but you should know just a few most important bands first.
And those gothenburg bands...Now my point wasnt to lead him to european scene and say "start with gothenburg-these bands are killer!" but more like "if you listen to gothenburg, be sure to know these bands to know at least something about it." I mean imagine someone coming and saying "recommend me something like Nightrage". Well, thats not a bad thing, of course, but what if he means stuff like Slaughter Of the Soul from ATG? To know how to describe the recommendations he wants he should know the basic bands wheter he likes them or not. Its better to ask for something that is similiar to a mainstream/not so underground band than to ask for something similiar to "band named Gråmfåstiutsstian from Norway", since no one will know what the fuck it sounds like. Everyone knows what ATG sounds like.
An no, im not saying that Nightrage is grim, tr00 and underground, but i believe its more underground than ATG. I mean Nightrage wasnt the first band unlike ATG (am i correct with this? i believe ATG was the first).

So, lets get back to thrash. When you read a review, its very likely for you to see someone describing the music by comparing it to some of those bands i listed. You could see those bands as "styles". "Sounds more like band number 1 than band 2 two, but its pretty much like a mix between band number 1 and 3." Get it?

Well im kinda a n00b myself, but anyway.

Listen to fotmbm, and ignore EternalEnemy.

No, i have a point here. I didnt quite say "these are the first bands to get", more like "these are the first bands to get from this genre" and i didnt mean to say "these are the good bands, to start liking this genre you must get this" but more like "to be introduced to this genre, you need to know these bands first".

Ummm...I've been told my taste isn't great, but...
BloodBath
Morbid Angel
Mudvayne
Brujeria
Iniquity
As I lay Dying
Gorgoroth
Sludge
Dimmu Borgir
Dying Fetus
Acid Bath
In Flames
Anasarca
Corpse Vomit
Dim Mak
Nephasth
Immortal Souls
Immortal
Lamb Of God
Heaven Shall Burn

But...An opinion's an opinion. :loco:

Fotmbm said:
Nifelheim, Deathwitch, Grand Belial's Key, Immortal, Negurã Bunget, Kvist, Funeral Mist, Carpathian Forest, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, Beherit, Drudkh, Nokturnal Mortum, Hate Forest, Aryan Terrorism, Ulver, Watain, Ondskapt

ah, this is sweet. I think you should read the pages in the "thread where you talk about the music you like". That should help you further.

Plus:
The Chasm
Bathory
Blut Aus Nord
Summoning
Arcturus
Psycroptic
Dissection
Cryptopsy
Graveland
Morgion

fotmbm said:
try these: Vio-Lence, Megadeth, Kreator, Dark Angel, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Hypnosia, Assassin, Heathen, Morbid Saint, Death Angel, Exumer, Coroner and so on, and when you can handle all of that you move on to Nifelheim, Deathwitch, Grand Belial's Key, Immortal, Negurã Bunget, Kvist, Funeral Mist, Carpathian Forest, Datkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, Beherit, Drudkh, Nokturnal Mortum, Hate Forest, Aryan Terrorism, Ulver, Watain, Ondskapt. Let me know when you've tried those.

Yes. Do that.

Krigloch the Furious said:
check out the bands in my sig.
Heavenly
Dragonland
Wintersun
and hit up my aim or MSN if you have them.

and I dont know how I found this band. probably from one of the 24 death metal threads, but Spawn of Possession has been playing non stop on my computer!!!
Hell yeah! I got the album Cabinet recently...I had never heard them before. They definately kicked my ass \m/

And to the guy who created this thread...I hope you have a lot of cash, because these guys can go on forever with recommendations! I wish you luck on your venture through the genre of metal.

Morbid_Corpse said:
and he said he hates vocals like Opeths, so stop recomending death metal bands.

And you just recommended Psycroptic and Amon Amarth? Both have death vocals...

fuck so many bands!! dunno where to start :p i tried some death songs and they've got some awesome stuff there :) pull the plug, few songs off sound of perserverance so far...check them more.
megadeth i can't stand, dunno why..everyone likes em..

death amd black metal vocals....death metal are screeching high like at the gates, CoB? and growling like opeth is black??

Death Metal vocals are generally lower and more guttural. Black metal vocals can range from midrange to high shrieks and rasps. But it doesn't matter, it's what music the vocals are with that makes the band.

Check out Orphaned Land, Dissection, Winds, Arcturus, Testament....pretty much starter bands but they really should get you started. ;)

muse_dude said:
fuck so many bands!! dunno where to start :p i tried some death songs and they've got some awesome stuff there :) pull the plug, few songs off sound of perserverance so far...check them more.
megadeth i can't stand, dunno why..everyone likes em..

death amd black metal vocals....death metal are screeching high like at the gates, CoB? and growling like opeth is black??

Maybe your listening to the wrong Megadeth albums.. listen to Peace Sells But Whose Buying as well as Rust in Peace.. those 2 are there best albums... :wave:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Maybe your listening to the wrong Megadeth albums.. listen to Peace Sells But Whose Buying as well as Rust in Peace.. those 2 are there best albums... :wave:

yeah I was gonna say. He likes shitty old metallica, but not the badass megadeth stuff?? :err:

Buy 'The Sham Mirrors' by Arcturus. Then 'La Masquerade Infernale.' LMI is better, but TSM is more accessible, although they are both masterpieces. Then get the other one...after you like harsh vocals.

Some random good albums:
Mr. Bungle - s/t
Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was...Death
Vintersorg - Till Fjalls
Elvenking - Heathenreel
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (my first metal album)
Falconer - Chapters From A Vale Forlorn
Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Dream Theater - Awake
Atrox - Orgasm
Judas Priest - Painkiller

Some albums that will help you get into harsh vocals (if you ever do):
Amon Amarth - Versus The World
Tvangeste - Firestorm
Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper
Strapping Young Lad - City (maybe?)
Vader - Litany