NEW FEATURE: UP THE IRONS! You've gotta see this one...

Ayeka said:
I think sometimes you went a little overboard with the song/single histories. I think there were two on there (names evade me right now) where the B-side wasn't actually reviewed at all. I agree that it'll make interesting reading for people new to Maiden (which I feel is who the feature is aimed at mostly anyway :)) but I found I was going through anecdotes I'd heard many times before, and trying to find slithers of commentary for the actual B-side itself.
Excellent post - thanks.

To be honest, some of the songs on the B Sides are cover tunes of bluesy pub numbers. I mean, it's difficult to express more than just saying 'it's a blues rock' song. In that respect, it's so much easier reviewing a song like "Powerslave" or something else with a bit more depth. So I decided to just add commentary instead. And you're right - I was writing the stuff with someone in mind who perhaps may NOT have heard the stories before....?
I noticed for your story about the live Remember Tomorrow...Bruce has claimed that the song was not actually recorded live in Italy. Apparently it's just the music from Maiden Japan which he sang over in the studio. You can check if they sound exactly the same bar the vocals, I haven't because I wanna leave my Maiden Japan safe & sound and I'm not actually all that fussed :p he also said at the end you can hear him and Paul saying "orright, cheers etc" at the same time, because apparenly Paul got picked up by an audience mic so they couldn't wipe it. I only hear Bruce, though, so it could've been him pulling our legs...what do you think?! :D
That is a total urban myth which I've heard once or twice before. I've never seen any such claim from Bruce. I think it's bullshit - I do not hear Paul Di'Anno at the end of the song either.

The myth started because someone noticed that the song durations were exactly the same to the second, and that is a near impossibility on a live recording...well, who knows.

What I might do is go back and add this tid bit about the 'urban legend', just so all my bases are covered. But at the end of the day, I do believe this is a real gig in Italy - and most importantly, I've seen these bootleg CDs on sale on eBay (Bruce's first gigs) - they are a set of three I think. Very cool find, if I see them again, I'm buying them!
I didn't actually notice you'd missed those :erk: so, any plans for an update? :D Wouldn't be any point adding the best ofs, though, unless you want to review the game part of Ed Hunter...
Well first of all, I don't know anybody who owns a real copy of the Soundhouse Tapes! They go on sale for up to $500 these days.

We can do a review of Rock in Rio one day, but like I mentioned, I don't want to review it. Honestly, I've seen the DVD and I think the editing is atrocious - the camera changes are just ridiculous changing almost once a second. (And I don't own the CD, but others on the team do...so it's up to them).

Thanks again for the post - good one.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah? Like which ones?

Mainly the first two Maidens...don't get me wrong they were great albums but Maiden didn't break through until the Number of the Beast and Dickinson took over vocals. Not bashing Di'Anno but I think we all know that Bruce made this band what they are today. The first two have some great cuts but I don't think they deserve such high scores. Personally more like 7-8. Powerslave is very good but not a 10 same for Somewhere in time. Everything else you get the gold medal! :)

JayKeeley said:
Are you kidding me!? Wow, I wonder if the LaD recording is from the night you were there?

I KID YOU NOT! :) I lived in Long Beach California and two of the best metal venues around, the Long Beach Arena (I have seen all the powerhouses there just name them :) ) and this little place called Fender's Ballroom (a lot of great punk bands played there and some great heavy metal and rock artists). Long Beach also had KNAC which at that time was a kick ass station playing all sorts of great cutting edge heavy metal...then they got too commercial and metal slowly started to fade...well not really but you know what I mean. :) If I remember right they taped all three shows (or were there two?). Interesting story, not that I would ever do this again but me and my buddy David went to that show and we were, well lets say "frying" our ass off. Of course I have been, well lets say "drug free" for a long ass time :). We had lodge seats on the side were Dave Murray was well when the pyro show went off and out comes this huge ass Eddie I looked at my friend David and he looked back and we both at the same time said FUCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK! :) We didn't know if it was real or the damn acid playing tricks on us. :) Stupid teenage kids, I was I was in the right frame of mind but I do remember that concert clearly...all the shows sold out and I have never seen more leather and hair then that show. FUCKEN AMAZING!!!

JayKeeley said:
I also mentioned the Long Beach arena gig for the 1981 UFO tour in the 'Best of the B Sides' article (for "Doctor Doctor").

Spooky. :tickled:

Great show as well, I think I got into Maiden a lot more then UFO at that tour and if I remember right no Michael Schenker on guitar cause he was just starting his solo stuff around that time (seen MSG a few times too but who's counting).

Maiden came around a few more times and saw them at Irvine Meadows and the LA Arean. I think it's about time to catch them again! The new album for Maiden "Dance of Death" should be released in September but guess what guys, on August 24th (Irvine Meadows) and 25th (the one and only) Long Beach Arena and chances are I am going to be there :)

warmwetos said:
The first two have some great cuts but I don't think they deserve such high scores. Personally more like 7-8.

Yeah I hear what you're saying, but I wanted to try and get a snapshot of the late 70's. For the time, those albums were remarkable - certainly came out of nowhere and took charge of the NWOBHM. Nobody was doing anything so intricate in the metal world in the late 70's.

Also, although people might be tired of songs like Iron Maiden and Prowler etc, that doesn't take away from the fact that they're works of art. Same with lots of songs from lots of artists I guess.

Maiden came around a few more times and saw them at Irvine Meadows and the LA Arean. I think it's about time to catch them again! The new album for Maiden "Dance of Death" should be released in September but guess what guys, on August 24th (Irvine Meadows) and 25th (the one and only) Long Beach Arena and chances are I am going to be there :)

Remember though that this tour is 'Give me Ed till I'm Dead' just for the die hards....the Dance of Death tour will be a follow up probably next year!

awright I missed saying this, but the Maiden presentation is excellent, guys. Alot of hard work, and it shows. very professionally done.

ref Doctor Doctor, a chugger of a UFO song, off one of my favorite UFO albums of all time, Phenomenon. The first with Schenker, who replaced Mick Bolton, and dragged UFO kicking and screaming out of a psychedelic hippie haze. of course by the long beach show he had left as someone mentioned above, replaced by Paul Chapman. My favorites are the Schenker LPs, tho. The guy is insane, of course, and he's produced little of note for years, but he is so graceful a guitarist...

anyway - about Budgie! haha. what a wierd band. not for all occasions, but it is interesting how may bands hold them in such high regard. That's one good thing about covers, it sometimes points you to a band you may not have been familiar with but might really like.

lizard said:
awright I missed saying this, but the Maiden presentation is excellent, guys. Alot of hard work, and it shows. very professionally done.

Thanks lizard. I think we (the team) need to give a big shout out to Haddsie. She made all the graphics etc. Full time wife & mom, full time job, and this. We are not worthy.

ref Doctor Doctor, a chugger of a UFO song, off one of my favorite UFO albums of all time, Phenomenon. The first with Schenker, who replaced Mick Bolton, and dragged UFO kicking and screaming out of a psychedelic hippie haze. of course by the long beach show he had left as someone mentioned above, replaced by Paul Chapman. My favorites are the Schenker LPs, tho. The guy is insane, of course, and he's produced little of note for years, but he is so graceful a guitarist...

Schenker needs to be added to the 'The Art of Shredding' thread eh? Go for it!

anyway - about Budgie! haha. what a wierd band. not for all occasions, but it is interesting how may bands hold them in such high regard. That's one good thing about covers, it sometimes points you to a band you may not have been familiar with but might really like.

Surely one of the greatest songs Metallica ever recorded was Breadfan yeah? Hetfield plays that riff so tight.

JayKeeley said:
Thanks lizard. I think we (the team) need to give a big shout out to Haddsie. She made all the graphics etc. Full time wife & mom, full time job, and this. We are not worthy.

Awww, that's so sweet of you to say! :cry:

I don't get all the credit for the graphic stuff though, most of the ideas for the look were JayKeeley's; I just put them into effect.

And now that we're in full-on love-fest mode, let's send a big 'well done' to PapaJosh for coming up with the original idea for the Maiden feature!!

And, as always, thanks to the reviewers! After all, the writing is really what this little 'zine of ours is all about, right?

OK, love-fest over. :D

Well, I had my reply sorted but got disconnected and lost it all :mad: so I'm off to watch Fawlty Towers :p bbs

Ayeka said:
Well, I had my reply sorted but got disconnected and lost it all :mad: so I'm off to watch Fawlty Towers :p bbs

I HATE when that happens. You have to get used to using "ctrl+C" to copy your text before you hit the submit button.

Enjoy watching Basil!

IID00000895.jpg

Is anyone getting this (or already own it)? More than anything, those Camp Chaos versions of Icarus, Wicker Man etc should be pretty cool. I've seen Icarus and it's excellent.

JayKeeley said:
I HATE when that happens. You have to get used to using "ctrl+C" to copy your text before you hit the submit button.

Enjoy watching Basil!

Oooooh it's good shit! :D tonight's episode was ace too. The one with the kippers ;)

Now *ahem* as far as that urban legend with the live Remember Tomorrow goes, Bruce himself stated this in the Iron Maiden Kerrang Special that went out last October. Dunno if he winding 'em up though ;) I remember Samson's tour manager said to me a few years back, "Bruce's recollections change like the wind" ;)

As for reviewing the Soundhouse Tapes...download it! I had the ST version of Strange World awhile back, very good, Paul sounded like Elvis in places, ver' amusing :)

Visions Of The Beast? Someday soon, I hope to have it...maybe a birthday present! :headbang: not too keen on the Camp Chaos mixes though. I didn't like what they did to Run To The Hills, even though the random creatures in it looked like Trance Zidane from FF9 :p seen some stills from the Aces High one also. Can you believe it, Dave looks ANGRY?!?! :eek: and Nicko looks like a monkey :loco:

Ayeka said:
Now *ahem* as far as that urban legend with the live Remember Tomorrow goes, Bruce himself stated this in the Iron Maiden Kerrang Special that went out last October. Dunno if he winding 'em up though

One wonders. You would think that they would have included some discussion on this in the liner notes, especially since Smallwood is so candid with everything anyway. I will add discussion around this in the review though (at some point).

As for reviewing the Soundhouse Tapes...download it! I had the ST version of Strange World awhile back, very good, Paul sounded like Elvis in places, ver' amusing :)

I hate downloading, but in this case, I might do it. More so because there are so many good forgeries available, and you don't know what you're buying half the time (although there are intricate ways of telling).

Visions Of The Beast? Someday soon, I hope to have it...maybe a birthday present! !:headbang: not too keen on the Camp Chaos mixes though. I didn't like what they did to Run To The Hills

Maybe I'm confused then because I thought Camp Chaos videos were just animated video versions of the same song. At least that's the way with Flight of Icarus - are you saying that the songs get remixed too?

Can you believe it, Dave looks ANGRY?!?! !:eek:

Never - he's the Cheshire cat...:Smug:

and Nicko looks like a monkey

...but of course. :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
I hate downloading, but in this case, I might do it. More so because there are so many good forgeries available, and you don't know what you're buying half the time (although there are intricate ways of telling).

www.truemetal.org/ironmaiden (I think that's the address...) has a very detailed description w/ pics of a genuine Soundhouse Tape (is called Tapes when it's a fucking 7"?!?! ;))...if it's not on that site I'm gutted, this list reads like literature :loco:

Maybe I'm confused then because I thought Camp Chaos videos were just animated video versions of the same song. At least that's the way with Flight of Icarus - are you saying that the songs get remixed too?

No, you were right, I thought "mixes" was the wrong word to use but there y'go :loco:

Never - he's the Cheshire cat...

Cheshire cat! :tickled: bless!

Papa Josh said:
What forums have RC maiden threads going on?

Iron Maiden
Dungeon
Power Quest
The Iron Maidens
Maiden Downunder

Look for 'JayKeeley' in the Thread Starter column.

These are all on UM obviously. Not aware if anyone else has started one either at UM or elsewhere.

The Iron Maiden feature is just terrific!

I know that this must have taken ages to complete (damn you Dreamweaver!) but congrats all round to you guys!

When I get back to the UK, I need to check out the release date for Visions of the Beast, that is a must have!