NEW FEATURE: UP THE IRONS! You've gotta see this one...

JayKeeley said:
These are all on UM obviously. Not aware if anyone else has started one either at UM or elsewhere.

Any of you guys registered at the official Maiden forum? I know it's an obvious pointer but there's a big turnover at that place. I suppose either me or Demonspell (yes YOU y'ol' badger!) could take a minute out of our time to promotoe it there if it hasn't been already...

Ayeka said:
Any of you guys registered at the official Maiden forum? I know it's an obvious pointer but there's a big turnover at that place. I suppose either me or Demonspell (yes YOU y'ol' badger!) could take a minute out of our time to promotoe it there if it hasn't been already...

In the words of Rocky Balboa, "Go for it"! :cool: Thanks.

Ayeka said:
Oh! Uh...ok! :D but I'm only doing it because it's you guys ;)

We're not worthy.

Hey I tell you what - if you want to write up a proper live report of Maiden at Donington recently, I'll publish it (and include it with the feature).

:eel: Okey dokey! I'll see what I can do! :D

And the promotion is done :) I'll link to it in a sec...

Bumpety bump bump. New upload coming this weekend. For anyone who hasn't commented on the Iron Maiden feature thus far, then shame on you! :p

Ayeka said:
And the promotion is done :) I'll link to it in a sec...

Any second now....take your time.....zzzzz. :zzz:

Papa Josh has got a new feature underway - we'll be uploading it this week, and in light of Maiden releasing Dance of Death today, I felt it worthy to bump this thread before it gets removed from the front page.

By the way, the Iron Maiden feature was/is HUGE. I mean, we literally tripled our readership to about 600 unique visitors per day in the end. Thanks to all involved.

Anyone on the staff interested in reviewing Dance of Death by the way? I wouldn't mind a couple of different perspectives on it so we can run more than one review if anyone's interested.

JayKeeley said:
Papa Josh has got a new feature underway - we'll be uploading it this week, and in light of Maiden releasing Dance of Death today, I felt it worthy to bump this thread before it gets removed from the front page.

By the way, the Iron Maiden feature was/is HUGE. I mean, we literally tripled our readership to about 600 unique visitors per day in the end. Thanks to all involved.

Anyone on the staff interested in reviewing Dance of Death by the way? I wouldn't mind a couple of different perspectives on it so we can run more than one review if anyone's interested.

Was one of the first people in the "evil" Best buy today, picked up. Jammin it right now! I have to say upon first listen it is not as immediate as BNW. But that's quite alright, gotta wrap my head around this one a bit more!

My first impressions on album no. 13:

- Wildest Dreams is a terrible opener. Brings new meaning to the word formulaic.
- Rainmaker isn't much better...at least there is better guitar work and a less obvious chorus here.
- No More Lies kicks ass. Sure, the chorus is repetitive, but this is fueled by the same drive that has led to many a Maiden classic. And the solo section is great.
- Montsegur has one of the best riffs on the album, reminding me of the Powerslave days a bit.
- Dance Of Death has grown on me since first hearing it...I still find it overlong, but this has a good buildup to it and I like the guitar work a lot.
- Gates Of Tomorrow took me for surprise with its intro, and it was great being able to clearly hear three guitars in the verses for once...too bad it isn't repeated. The remainder of it is average.
- New Frontier shows why Nicko doesn't get too many writing credits...the song sounds anything but new. And the bass is a bit too high up on this one...normally not a problem, but here it gets distracting.
- Paschendale: Epic Maiden is the best Maiden. Bruce delivers his finest performance of the album here, and Kevin's production succeeds in making the song sound gigantic. Great instrumental break, the riffs and chorus strike a chord with the listener, and I love the quite breaks.
- Face In The Sand is another one of my favorites, despite its odd-for-Maiden rhythm...and for once the intro actually builds tension rather than just sounding slapped on. Bruce also sounds at the top of his game here.
- Age Of Innocence: I'll keep things brief here: Great riff, terrible chorus.
- Journeyman: I have nothing against the idea of Maiden doing an all-acoustic song, but I found this to be boring to an uncomfortable extreme. And the strings sound processed and hollow.

Demonspell said:
- Montsegur has one of the best riffs on the album, reminding me of the Powerslave days a bit.

YES! I couldn't believe my ears...I thought I was listening to Losfer Words (Big Orra) when that first came on! Easily one of the best riffs from Maiden in a long, long time.

As for the rest, all I'll say right now is that opinions could change after several more listens, muwahahahaha.

My reaction to it now, and I'll admit it's early on, is that it's a notch below Brave New World. Except for a couple, the songs really aren't sticking with me. Montsegur is awesome musically. The chorus is fine from a melody standpoint, but when you read the words and listen at the same time, it just doesn't seem very well constructed.

After more listens, a more complete opinion will be formed... :)