New Headliner! Would you pay extra to see...

Greykiller

Shoot down the UFO's!
Mar 3, 2004
Dream Theater? IIRC, the ticket price for Gigantour was in the 30-50 dollar range, most of which went to Megadeth. Which leads me to believe that we could get DT here for a fraction of that ticket price over and above what we would normally pay.

Glenn has already stated that DT is expensive...too expensive for this show. But what if he just raised the ticket prices, just this once, to have DT here?

Of course this idea probably throws the doors open to a bunch of other bands that might be out of the price range for this concert...and I am sure about a dozen threads will start soon with new headliner suggestions...So I would say lets keep this thread to the idea of booking a "higher priced" band that would cost us more to see.

And yeah, I would pay 20-50 bucks more to see DT headline.

Dream Theater will never play Prog Power, we I should not say never, who knows. Maybe one day they will beg Glenn to play it but right now, this year they will be on an extensive tour.

Bear

I love DT. They're still the best band around, even though Train of Thought was miserable. (Octavarium was pretty good). See the avatar and nickname.

Still, I never want to see them play Progpower. They can fill up large theaters all accross the country. I see no reason to have them come down to Atlanta, solely for this festival.

I love DT. They're still the best band around, even though Train of Thought was miserable. (Octavarium was pretty good). See the avatar and nickname.

Still, I never want to see them play Progpower. They can fill up large theaters all accross the country. I see no reason to have them come down to Atlanta, solely for this festival.

Bear said:
Dream Theater will never play Prog Power, we I should not say never, who knows. Maybe one day they will beg Glenn to play it but right now, this year they will be on an extensive tour.

Bear

Are they still going to be on tour by September? I am sure they can fill stadiums, but the times I saw them it was in venues that seated 2,000 people max. Which means it would not be a huge step DOWN for them. Maybe they would welcome the opportunity to play in a more "intimate" arena...

Sorry dude, but it would have to be more special than DT for me to pay more than I already have to! Maybe some sort of reunion thing or something, but not for a band that tours the US a great deal anyway.

I would pay extra to see a Fates Warning reunion with John Arch! Can I get an AMEN Fates Fan? :)

Petethedrummer said:
Eh, I'm seeing then at the Radio city music hall in a few months, and I've already seen them a bunch of times. I probably don't need to see them down at progpower.

A lot of people have that opinion. But others think they would be way too expensive.

If they got 20k to headline saturday night, it would only cost us an average of 20 bucks more.

If not DT, then who would you pay 20 bucks more to see?

YtseJammer said:
They can fill up large theaters all accross the country. I see no reason to have them come down to Atlanta, solely for this festival.

You can say that, living an hour away from a town they seem to play at every year...Meanwhile they have only played two or three times in south florida in the last 10 years. Which explains why I (and a lot of other people around me) have only seen them three times.

Here is another angle on this: lost of people who only know DT might buy tickets and be exposed to a bunch of groups they never would have heard of if not for PP. And that can only help the cause...

Greykiller said:
You can say that, living an hour away from a town they seem to play at every year...Meanwhile they have only played two or three times in south florida in the last 10 years. Which explains why I (and a lot of other people around me) have only seen them three times.

Your point is well taken, but the reason that DT *SUPPOSEDLY* doesn't play the south is because the promoters refuse to book them. That being said, the fan base is there...given the opportunity, I'm sure they could fill up venues in the south.

Besides, if you've seen them three times, wouldn't you prefer to see a band who never plays the south, a band who you wouldn't get the opportunity to see, but for this festival?

I don't know, it's a rhetorical question....but that's just the flipside of the argument.

Even if Dream Theater were to somehow play Progpower at some point, it will absolutely not be this year. They've toured their brains out for Octavarium and are having a tour ending spectacular 20th anniversary show on April 1st. I can practically guarantee that they will not be playing shows for awhile beyond that.

Jason