New here, looking for some recording/mixing advice

Oske7

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
www.youtube.com
Hello there,

I just found this forum yesterday, my friend and I came across it while looking up different recording and mixing techniques for metal. We're both audio production majors at our university just trying to get a little head start on this stuff before we get into the actual classes.

Here's the most recent mix of a song I recorded, any feedback would be appreciated! :)
http://oske7.bandcamp.com/track/without-a-trace

Hi! I can give you a few advices on the mixing part. I've worked as a music producer and sound-engineer for some time now.

You should EQ the drums a bit and spread the stereo image. ur drums r also very loud.
You also have to compress the guitars and EQ them abit for more power. You can add a bit of reverb to it aswell (but, not much. U should barely notice it)

After this you should use a limiter to boost your track, be sure the track doesnt peak before u add the limiter. (and remember to add the limiter to the MASTER channel)

If you've done all of this, u should have a nice punch and much more power to your track :)

A nice program for analyzing your EQ is Har-Bal. www.har-bal.com (2 bad its not out for MAC OS X yet)