New here...

Argh

New Metal Member
Aug 6, 2003
Ohio
www.geocities.com
Hello there, I just found IMG from a link some one posted at Maiden's BB. This is totally cool. I just listened to Hallowed it fuckin rocked!
Just last year I kinda found out how fun it is to record on PC. I just play guitar. I don't know if you guys need anybody else to play, but if you do let me know. Here's my page I just put up with the four songs I made. I just programmed the drums myself, so IMO they sound "energizer rabbit-ish" but I'm still proud of it. Any comments/suggestions?

Hey Argh welcome! Thanks for the kind words on Hallowed. We are always looking for new players to play. It is kind of stagnant here right now..but we do have a drummer who wants to get started on stuff. He is mostly keen on doing Metallica or Iced Earth (see The recording thread). You are always welcome to jump in or even suggest some songs you may wish to tackle.

Listening to your stuff right now. Guitar playing is not bad at all. I think it is the synthesized bass that hurts the overall sound more than the drum... I think the guitar sound on Losfer words is the best overall. What program did you use for the bass/drums? There is some software out there that gives some scary realistic sounding tracks..

Thanks
I did it all in Cakewalk Sonar XL and the various "plug-in" software that came with it. So I think Aces High I did with straight midi drums and bass. But the others I used some plug-in called "fxpansion" DR-008 Drum Sampler/Synthesiser. It sounded a little better. It uses wav files.
The bass is a plug-in called Virtual Sound Canvas DXi which is basically fancy Midi.
I'd love to try some real software for drums and bass, what should I look for?

Good question. I have no experience here. But I have heard other samples from people who used virtual drums and/or bass and got some really surprisingly real results. I guess it is all a factor of how much money you are willing to spend on the software.

Did you create the drums/bass lines yourself? ..or grab midi tracks off the net?

What I did was search for the drum tablature and printed it off and manually (yep) inputted each hit. After awhile you get fast with copy and paste when you start to recognize repeating patterns. (I don't play drums) I did it this way because all the midi drum tracks I found were basically crap.
I was able to get some decent midi bass lines though, so I imported those and just fit them to my drums.
Then I mixed them both to audio to free up cpu.
At the end of Aces High you probably heard a freaky drum roll because I didn't know how to "go nuts" on a drum set, let alone on the pc. :)

There is such a thing as drum tablature out there? Ha! I would have never thought to even look for it!

I've been thinking about looking into this stuff just for practice purposes. Nothing beats recording to a real drummer though.

Hey man! Welcome. I'm rather new myself...we recorded paranoid not long ago, that's almost done.

Checked out your stuff, sounds damn good!
headbangdude.gif

You might wanna take a look at 'the recording thread', there's lot's of ideas floating around in there. Besides the maiden/metallica, what else are you into? ..just to get an idea.

I wanna get some more gear real soon (want to produce local bands), so my recordings should sound reasonably better. If everyone wants to pick out a song or two, thats great for now. later! :cool:

Thnks a lot
Just saw Maiden Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say, it was awesome. My girlfriend went too, I've been playing her Maiden for the past two months to get familiar, and she loved the show. :) We were about 20 feet from the stage, and she was trying hard to get Bruces attention and he pointed at her twice during one of his rants. :tickled:
I agree a real drummer is definately preferred! Bass too for that matter.
Think I'll mosey over to the recording thread.
Oh besides Maiden/Metallica I like a little bit of everything I guess. Ozzy , Sabbath, Dio, AC/DC, Joe Satriani (though I can't seem to be able to play much of the bastards stuff :).

Hey Hulkblood? Howz about Losfer Words by IM? Me and Constantine have been dying to do this..and looks like argh knows it...so he could pick up 2nd guitar duties..

LOL alright!! If I remember correctly it was fairly easy. Would you mind waiting till I got my new soundcard? I think it'd be no more than another week or so. I wanna try out some recordings with it...should be good. :D

How's everything going? Hulk you get your soundcard yet? What kind is it?
Does it record 24bit I wander?
I use a soundblaster audigy2. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't actually record in 24bit. I'm thinking about gettin an Audiophile card which does.