New here...

I don't think its THAT big a deal. I heard some examples on Cakewalk's forum some months ago. I think its more for a pro studio that makes $ with their productions. I do know that if you start on a project in 24 bit, any files you import into it in the future have to be 24 bit.

Argh said:
How's everything going? Hulk you get your soundcard yet? What kind is it?
Does it record 24bit I wander?
I use a soundblaster audigy2. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't actually record in 24bit. I'm thinking about gettin an Audiophile card which does.

Hey, not too bad....sorry I've been busy guys...i WANT to get this stuff this upcoming week...but i'm working 4 days in a row right now...10 hours each. then one more to finish out the work week....heh.

Anyhow, the soundcard I want is a midiman delta 1010...here:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030828201633068022201247363907/g=home/search/detail/base_id/52392

And yes, 24bit. :D

I wanna get into producing some bands around town, and thats one of the critical pieces of gear i need....heh. I can record 8 tracks simultaniously.

I'll let you guys know when i get that...(hopefully a matter of DAYS! :Spin: )

-hulk

Nice Hulkblood. At that price, is there any reason why you are not going to proTools gear? Seems to be the industry standard.

If you get it..and record tracks...don't alienate the rest of us by recording in 24-bit...if what Argh says is true, the rest of us will be screwed!

rabies said:
Nice Hulkblood. At that price, is there any reason why you are not going to proTools gear? Seems to be the industry standard.

If you get it..and record tracks...don't alienate the rest of us by recording in 24-bit...if what Argh says is true, the rest of us will be screwed!

Pro tools....i don't see what the big deal is really. I think of it as a name-based thing more than it is "the best." I'll use cakewalk pro audio and cool edit...I am a master of editing in CW! :D I would need protools hardware and software as well....and that equals $$$.

I don't think there will be any issues with tracks...I mean, we still transfer the songs as mp3, eh?

I'm sittin around the house now...just got back from the foot doc, had "minor surgery" done on my big toe. I wonder what I'm gonna do about the rest of my work schedule...heh.

As soon as I get that, I'll be sure to test it out with Losfer Words. ;)

take it easy guys.

Hey rabies, what kind of amp do you use when you're recording?
I'm only solid state right now, with a Fender Stage 185. I'm saving up for a Marshall or something more "real" some day. If I was rich I'd probably get a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, but I'm stuck dreaming now...

I cheat. I go direct using a POD 2.0. Basically mimics a professionally mic'd amplifier. For home recording quickness/versatility/convenience...you can't beat it.

I have a mesa 4x12 cabinets, shure sm58 Mics, a rack based power amp and some rack based effects...so I could mic a live rig if I really wanted to..but it is so much easier to just plug in the POD.

I am thinking about purchasing a Line 6 Variax guitar next. It mimics about 30 different guitars...so if i have to record all the tracks on a maiden tune, instead of using the same guitar, I can use the variax..and set it to..oh..say fender strat for Dave's part, and use a Les Paul for Adrian's part... etc. This way, I am guarenteed to get slighty different sounding tones for each part. :)

Piece of hardware.
http://www.line6.com/productpage.asp?productID=27

Is is basically and amp 'modeler'. It accurately mimics the sound you would get if you had a slew of different heads/cabinets professionally mic'd. I can switch from a fender twin practice amp, a full marshall stack, to a soldano amp...all with the flick of a switch.

I personally think its the coolest thing for a guitariest doing home recording ever. All my IMG tracks use it ....take 7th son for example..the one I just sent you. I play the guitar in the right channel on that. I also take solo #3 and #4. I recorded that going line in to my computer straight from the POD....so guitar -> POD - > computer. No microphone needed..and I get the results you hear. :)

That's cool as hell. I read about those pods about a month ago. I have something similar to that on my pc called "Amplitube". I used it on Orion and was able to get some sounds very close to the origional. The only thing I didn't like was the extreme "compression" it seems to have. When you hit the strings, the "attack" is pretty much missing. Maybe those pods are better that way.