New here...

Hashishian

New Metal Member
May 14, 2009
...but I've been lurking for a while. Anyway, I'm looking for some concrete advice on how to get a decent drum sound. The most absolutely perfect kit I've ever heard is on Heartwork (Carcass). I've tried sweeping frequencies, squashing the hell out of it (it's obviously compressed to shit), etc... Everything I come up with sounds like that bullshit mall-metal everyone seems so in love with these days. I'm not looking for Hi-Fi punch, I'm looking for that gut-wrenching oldschool sound. My gear is in order (decent D/A's, pre's, etc... is that my problem?) and although I'm using sampled drum tracks, I can't believe it's not possible. There are a lot of people here who flat-out know their shit - any suggestions? Thanks in advance - It feels weird to finally poke my head out here...

Less is more with pretty much anything in the world of recording.
Process stuff only as much as you absolutely need to and everything will sound better for it.

Go back to the source, work on drum tuning, mic placement, the way you strike the drum, all the nitty gritty shit before you move onto compressors and EQs.

Got any examples?

might be best if you give an example of what you can achieve, so people have a starting place to go from with advice

I agree. I've spent the past couple months writing this new batch and just moved into a new place (which isn't completely set up yet - I'm only demoing). That along with 60+hrs a week working in a prison has slowed me down considerably. I'll try to get something up over the weekend. Thanks again - it's nice to see a forum where knowledgeable people have good taste. Be back soon with some Smuckers for 'ya...