New interview w/ Steve!!!

here it is

Dana:: Hi Steve, Thank you for doing this interview. Since you joined nevermore in 2004, you are still active in Dragonlord. How do you manage to play in two bands at the same time?

Steve Smyth: I was asked on join Nevermore as their 5th permanent member in April 2004. At that time i was working on writing Black Wings of Destiny with Dragonlord, and soon after i was writing with nevermore for the new album, This Godless Endavour. It was crazy! At that time I was living in Bay Area, so I was always on the road travelling to Seattle where i was working with Jeff or travelling to Sacramenti, Ca. It was crazy, but I enjoyed every bit of the challenge of working on 2 albums at the same time! When Warrel got sick, the recording session for Dragonlord were scheduled so i had to take five days off from working with nevermore to fly to Sweeden to record the Dragonlord disc. Then i had to go to Englang to finish working on This Godless Endavour with Nevermore. I think it was the strangest thing i had ever done, to work on 2 albums at the same time in two different countries. Luckily, Sweeden and England are not very far from each other. Nothing it is easy in the world of metal!

Dana: Steve, you played in Ariah, The Esseness, Vicious Rumors and Testament. Why did you give up all these projects? and why did you join Nevermore?
Steve: I can tell you that every band has its place in my heart. There is always a reason to go forward, right? (not sure if i translated this part correctly). Ariah was my first band. It had 5 members and was fronted by a female singer. Our style was different than of the bands from back then. It was a wonderful experience. I went as far as i could with that project. Later, I started working on my instrumental music and I recorded a 5 song EP which I sent to Mike Varney who included me on Guitar World's Hometown Heroes in Oct 1993. In 1993, Steve and I started working on the EssenEss Project. In 1995 i got a phone call to try out for Vicious Rumors, a band that i was a fan of and I knew the guys fairly well. This gave me the chance to release 2 albums with the band, We toured until the band broke up in about 4 years after I joined. After that i got another phone call, this time from Testament. They wanted me to play in their Riding the Snake tour in support of The Gathering. I spent the next 4 or 5 months with Testament working on lyrics along with Chuck and Eric. As you know, Chuck got sick in 2001. It was a while until they came back and we started working on the Rapture, the first Dragonlord disc. In Testament i always felt that they wanted to go back to the old line up (not sure about the correct translation here, it is pretty ambigous in romanian). While Chuck was recovering i was touring with Nevermore where i felt like home.The guys from Nevermore asked me if I would like to join Nevermore. I initially refused, but after some more thinking I realized that joining Nevermore would be a better idea than playing in Testament, so i called Chuck and Eric to tell them about my departure from Testament. Everyone was OK with it and I wished them good luck in their future endeavors and they wished me the greatest too.

Could you tell us more about the Essens Project?

This is more or less a project put together by me and my friend, Steve Hoffman. As I said, we started this project back in 93. We worked on it for some time, but we worked on different things at the same time. When i joined Vicious Rumors the project was left on the waiting list (not sure about this translation either), because i dedicated most of my time to the band. We resumed working on this project in 2001, but because of my chaotic schedule things didn't go very fast. We wrote 15 songs for the album, and we chose only 12 to make it to the disc. I hope it will hit the shelves in the beginning of next year. For the moment we don't have a label yet, but we are talking to some labels now. I've been a fan of instrumental music for many years. Most instrumental records nowadays focus on showing off with soloing skills or with impressive technique, and are not written for the sake of music or melody. We want people to feel the emotions and feelings we try to put in our songs. To get a better idea about it I will tell you that is a progressive rock kinda thing. The songs will have different moods from each other.

I noticed that you are very influenced by Steve Vai. I think Vai is one of the best guitarist ever. You are playing in a band since 1988 now, after all these years do you consider yourself a good guitarist?

Steve Va is surely one of my main influences, but i have other influences too. Oh god, i don't know what do to say (laughs). I hope people like what I've don over the years. I still want to do a lot of things. There is a lot of music left in me (not sure aobut translation here). I've been playing for 26 years now, I've been teaching guitar for 20 years now, I have 2 years of music studies, 5 albums released. I hope i learned something over all these years (laughs). I'm soon going to start teaching over the internet, if anyone is interested please email me.

How would you define the style of the band?

In my opinion, you cannot define Nevermore's style. That is what I always liked about Nevemrore. They adopted may differend musical genres (not sure about translation). I'm very happy with what we have accomplished with TGE. As regards the Essensss Project, it is a combination of more styles

Tells us a little more about TGE?
It was a hard record to make (laughs). Althougth Warrel was sick he kept working on it. The album was recorded in England at the end of the winter of 2005. It was wonderful to work with Andy Sneap! This guy is magician. He made us do our very best. I learned a lot of things from the recording of TGE.
What are you favorite Nevermore songs to play live?
Bittersweet Feast is one of the songs i composed. The crowd always seemed to enjoy this song. Another song i like to play live is Seven Tongues of God. Oh god it is hard to pick only one song, there are so many (laughs)

On November 11th Nevermore recorded a show in germany for the upcoming DVD. Could you please give us some details?
I wasn't there, becayse i have problems with my kidneys. I'm now on dialysis awaiting a transplant. I have a donor and the transplant will probably take place in the beginning of the next year. After I recover I will come back to Nevermore. I can tell you that the DVD will have a show shot in Poland earlier this year in March. (not sure about translation here).If anyone is interested let us or the record label know, and we will ship the DVD when it will be ready. We will make sure the DVD gets to Romania.

Your album titles are very interesting like POE or TGE, how do you come up with those titles?

It would be a better idea to ask Warrel this question, since he is the one who comes up with album titles and lyrics..

Do you feel emotionally connected to one of the songs on TGE? If yes why?

I'm always attached to anything i'm working on. I enjoy listening to the songs like anyone fan would. I really enjoy TGE, that is why it is so hard to chose one song.

Do you have some songs ready for the new album?

I already have 8 songs in various stages of development. Jeff has some songs too. For the moment I'm focusing on my recovery. Jeff, Warrell, and Van have their own solo projects they are working on. We will probably start writing for the new album later next year. Now the guys are still on tour promoting TGE

What things you wouldn't give up for a fan?
My health and personal integrity.

What is the most bizarre thing a fan asked you to do?
A fan once asked me to autograph his forehead. It was very funny!

The band is from the States, yet you are more famous in Europe. How would you explain this? (not sure about translation here)

I think we are already fairly well known in the States too. I always thought that Europe was more open to various music styles. We already have what we wanted from the Europeans. European fans are awesome and extremely dedicated!

Do you often use the internet to keep in touch with the fans?

I have a website, www.stevesmyth.com, which is still under construction. I also have a forum and a myspace page. I'm working on a history of my videoclips from different stages of my carrer. You will soon be able to view them on my webpage and youtube.

I can always be contacted through myspace or my forum. I wish the best to the romanian fans. Maybe will play a show there next year. Take care!

it is not perfect, but it is better than translating software

here it is

Dana:: Hi Steve, Thank you for doing this interview. Since you joined nevermore in 2004, you are still active in Dragonlord. How do you manage to play in two bands at the same time?

Steve Smyth: I was asked on join Nevermore as their 5th permanent member in April 2004. At that time i was working on writing Black Wings of Destiny with Dragonlord, and soon after i was writing with nevermore for the new album, This Godless Endavour. It was crazy! At that time I was living in Bay Area, so I was always on the road travelling to Seattle where i was working with Jeff or travelling to Sacramenti, Ca. It was crazy, but I enjoyed every bit of the challenge of working on 2 albums at the same time! When Warrel got sick, the recording session for Dragonlord were scheduled so i had to take five days off from working with nevermore to fly to Sweeden to record the Dragonlord disc. Then i had to go to Englang to finish working on This Godless Endavour with Nevermore. I think it was the strangest thing i had ever done, to work on 2 albums at the same time in two different countries. Luckily, Sweeden and England are not very far from each other. Nothing it is easy in the world of metal!

Dana: Steve, you played in Ariah, The Esseness, Vicious Rumors and Testament. Why did you give up all these projects? and why did you join Nevermore?
Steve: I can tell you that every band has its place in my heart. There is always a reason to go forward, right? (not sure if i translated this part correctly). Ariah was my first band. It had 5 members and was fronted by a female singer. Our style was different than of the bands from back then. It was a wonderful experience. I went as far as i could with that project. Later, I started working on my instrumental music and I recorded a 5 song EP which I sent to Mike Varney who included me on Guitar World's Hometown Heroes in Oct 1993. In 1993, Steve and I started working on the EssenEss Project. In 1995 i got a phone call to try out for Vicious Rumors, a band that i was a fan of and I knew the guys fairly well. This gave me the chance to release 2 albums with the band, We toured until the band broke up in about 4 years after I joined. After that i got another phone call, this time from Testament. They wanted me to play in their Riding the Snake tour in support of The Gathering. I spent the next 4 or 5 months with Testament working on lyrics along with Chuck and Eric. As you know, Chuck got sick in 2001. It was a while until they came back and we started working on the Rapture, the first Dragonlord disc. In Testament i always felt that they wanted to go back to the old line up (not sure about the correct translation here, it is pretty ambigous in romanian). While Chuck was recovering i was touring with Nevermore where i felt like home.The guys from Nevermore asked me if I would like to join Nevermore. I initially refused, but after some more thinking I realized that joining Nevermore would be a better idea than playing in Testament, so i called Chuck and Eric to tell them about my departure from Testament. Everyone was OK with it and I wished them good luck in their future endeavors and they wished me the greatest too.

Could you tell us more about the Essens Project?

This is more or less a project put together by me and my friend, Steve Hoffman. As I said, we started this project back in 93. We worked on it for some time, but we worked on different things at the same time. When i joined Vicious Rumors the project was left on the waiting list (not sure about this translation either), because i dedicated most of my time to the band. We resumed working on this project in 2001, but because of my chaotic schedule things didn't go very fast. We wrote 15 songs for the album, and we chose only 12 to make it to the disc. I hope it will hit the shelves in the beginning of next year. For the moment we don't have a label yet, but we are talking to some labels now. I've been a fan of instrumental music for many years. Most instrumental records nowadays focus on showing off with soloing skills or with impressive technique, and are not written for the sake of music or melody. We want people to feel the emotions and feelings we try to put in our songs. To get a better idea about it I will tell you that is a progressive rock kinda thing. The songs will have different moods from each other.

I noticed that you are very influenced by Steve Vai. I think Vai is one of the best guitarist ever. You are playing in a band since 1988 now, after all these years do you consider yourself a good guitarist?

Steve Va is surely one of my main influences, but i have other influences too. Oh god, i don't know what do to say (laughs). I hope people like what I've don over the years. I still want to do a lot of things. There is a lot of music left in me (not sure aobut translation here). I've been playing for 26 years now, I've been teaching guitar for 20 years now, I have 2 years of music studies, 5 albums released. I hope i learned something over all these years (laughs). I'm soon going to start teaching over the internet, if anyone is interested please email me.

How would you define the style of the band?

In my opinion, you cannot define Nevermore's style. That is what I always liked about Nevemrore. They adopted may differend musical genres (not sure about translation). I'm very happy with what we have accomplished with TGE. As regards the Essensss Project, it is a combination of more styles

Tells us a little more about TGE?
It was a hard record to make (laughs). Althougth Warrel was sick he kept working on it. The album was recorded in England at the end of the winter of 2005. It was wonderful to work with Andy Sneap! This guy is magician. He made us do our very best. I learned a lot of things from the recording of TGE.
What are you favorite Nevermore songs to play live?
Bittersweet Feast is one of the songs i composed. The crowd always seemed to enjoy this song. Another song i like to play live is Seven Tongues of God. Oh god it is hard to pick only one song, there are so many (laughs)

On November 11th Nevermore recorded a show in germany for the upcoming DVD. Could you please give us some details?
I wasn't there, becayse i have problems with my kidneys. I'm now on dialysis awaiting a transplant. I have a donor and the transplant will probably take place in the beginning of the next year. After I recover I will come back to Nevermore. I can tell you that the DVD will have a show shot in Poland earlier this year in March. (not sure about translation here).If anyone is interested let us or the record label know, and we will ship the DVD when it will be ready. We will make sure the DVD gets to Romania.

Your album titles are very interesting like POE or TGE, how do you come up with those titles?

It would be a better idea to ask Warrel this question, since he is the one who comes up with album titles and lyrics..

Do you feel emotionally connected to one of the songs on TGE? If yes why?

I'm always attached to anything i'm working on. I enjoy listening to the songs like anyone fan would. I really enjoy TGE, that is why it is so hard to chose one song.

Do you have some songs ready for the new album?

I already have 8 songs in various stages of development. Jeff has some songs too. For the moment I'm focusing on my recovery. Jeff, Warrell, and Van have their own solo projects they are working on. We will probably start writing for the new album later next year. Now the guys are still on tour promoting TGE

What things you wouldn't give up for a fan?
My health and personal integrity.

What is the most bizarre thing a fan asked you to do?
A fan once asked me to autograph his forehead. It was very funny!

The band is from the States, yet you are more famous in Europe. How would you explain this? (not sure about translation here)

I think we are already fairly well known in the States too. I always thought that Europe was more open to various music styles. We already have what we wanted from the Europeans. European fans are awesome and extremely dedicated!

Do you often use the internet to keep in touch with the fans?

I have a website, www.stevesmyth.com, which is still under construction. I also have a forum and a myspace page. I'm working on a history of my videoclips from different stages of my carrer. You will soon be able to view them on my webpage and youtube.

I can always be contacted through myspace or my forum. I wish the best to the romanian fans. Maybe will play a show there next year. Take care!

it is not perfect, but it is better than translating software

Thanks for doing this LOTS! I had a feeling you might, as you mentioned somewhere on this forum a while ago you are from Romania(? I think that's what you said) originally.
As for the interview, you undoubtedly translated it the way this girl wrote it. Too bad not everything "she said" I said in there is true, but it works.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Reactions: flying_whale
i tried my best with the translation. She used some big words in the interview and unusual phrases too.
What parts are not "true" from the interview?
there is one sentence in the answer for the first question that in the romanian version had no predicate or verb and didn't make sense at all so i skipped it. it was about the moving around part from seattle to california about working on tge.
Anyway, the interview was a great read.

i tried my best with the translation. She used some big words in the interview and unusual phrases too.
What parts are not "true" from the interview?
there is one sentence in the answer for the first question that in the romanian version had no predicate or verb and didn't make sense at all so i skipped it. it was about the moving around part from seattle to california about working on tge.
Anyway, the interview was a great read.

Well, the way that the interviewer interpreted the recording schedule is right, though I mentioned that we already had DL's recording schedule set for Feb.-April 2005, and when Warrel got sick, we ended up postponing NM's schedule from late 2004 (around Nov. 2004-Jan.2005) to (including 2 weeks of pre-production that we did in Seattle) late Jan.2005-late March 2005. I was hoping to make clearer the crazy schedule of that time, as it was indeed crazy!:loco: :lol: :headbang:

Steve - the gig from POlish Metalfest will be included on the DVD? The whole show? I didn't know that - I am very happy!
When is it going to be released?

"Things are looking up, we have a donor, and the surgery will go on early next year,and I will be able to rejoin the band after my recovery. "

to me that's the most important and best news out of that whole interview.
Fucking A! that's great news! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

of course great interview...
i am glad to hear about getting donor..wish you best luck on it, Steve!NM is not the same without you..Chris is excellent g-player..but you brought another dose of sickness into the NM music(Bittersweet-your solo)..stay cool and see you on tour near Croatia or Slovenia

glad u enjoyed the interview guys ...
and Steve, i really hope you are ok..keep up the spirit, i miss talking to you
Dana