New Iron Maiden stuff due in November...

Originally posted by Tough As Steel
I don't know Spiff, you tell me.

Blimey, I don't know either. Might have something to do with the fact that you seem to think the sun shines out of the band's poo-hole and think they can do no wrong. That's just the vibe I sometimes get, though, and therefore I may be mistaken.

Maiden don't simply stick on another mix of the same single or another album track for their B Sides, but they will always try and come up with something of real quality, and that is both new and different

They havn't done that for 7 years!!
Therefore, I guess they are admitting that since The X Factor they havn't tried to come up with anything of real quality.

Just my opinion but I think Dave likes the band and appreciates the music. I can relate.

The politics of the situation are another matter.

Los4 (sorry, missed your post before because it was at the same time as mine), I like the band and love the music as well, but the politics have seriously affected my opinion of everything Maiden does these days. I'm just jaded and bitter, as a few of us here are.

Originally posted by Spiff
Blimey, I don't know either. Might have something to do with the fact that you seem to think the sun shines out of the band's poo-hole and think they can do no wrong. That's just the vibe I sometimes get, though, and therefore I may be mistaken.

Well Spiff, where do i start. I don't think the sun shines out of the bands arse, although i used to. I put in a huge amount of personal time and money, into promoting BNW, and developing a rapport with Maiden's label manager at EMI, and heaps of stuff generally at around the time it was released. I was gutted when they didn't tour, as much as anyone could be, given the effort i put into trying to help to get them to tour. For about 6 months, after it was apparent there was no tour happening down here, and particularly after what i considered to be an insulting lame-ass excuse by Smallwood as to why they never made it here, i did NOT LISTEN TO IRON MAIDEN at all.

But in the last 10 months or so, i have started my own business, and become a father again recently. And it has changed my perspective on many things. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and you don't always get want what you want. Nor did Iron Maiden ever say, "hey Dave if you bust your ass helping to promote BNW, we'll tour Oz". So who am i to have a tantrum, and be some jaded fan who likes the music but hates the band?

When i first fell in love with Iron Maidens music, it was never conditional upon them having to tour for me to continue being a fan. Iron Maiden have never asked me to buy their records. I choose to buy their records, because i like their music. I have seen them once live, and considering the impoverished conditions that some people live in in the world, i think all things considered, having seen them once and having a roof over my head...i dont have too much to complain about.

I guess, i just dont let things like a no-tour from Maiden, get me all wound up. As Steve Harris says, if you dont like what we do, bugger off. And for a while I did. But i woke up to reality, and now they are still my fave band, but i dont care if they never tour, because it really is not that important in the grand scheme of events.

But nor am i cynical enough to believe that the band members of Maiden did NOT WANT to come down here. I think it was probably more of a case of Smallwood did not make enough compromises with the promoters, and the band cant be blamed for maybe not pushing him harder to get down here, i am sure they have enough on their plate, than to worry about touring a country of only 18 million people, and who thrash them at Rugby and Cricket on a regular basis (that last bit is not serious :) ).

Regardless of the facts as to why they never toured here (of which we can all speculate on for the next 10 years or so) I just don't care. There are alot of other bands i like who ive never seen lived because theyve never toured here.

If they stop making great music, ill stop buying their records and move on.

But in the meantime, Iron Maiden is my fave band of all time, and there is little about them that i can complain about.

I hope all the live stuff from the archives will be available separately at some point (rather like the CDs in Iced Earth's Dark Genesis box). I already have every Maiden B-side known to man, and I'm not keen to buy them again. I'll probably end up forking out for the whole package anyway :).

Edward The Great, like RiR, can go and drown itself though. Blatant cash-in and a very uninspired track listing IMHO.

W

Because, as Mr Horse used to say on Ren & Stimpy: "No sir, I don't like it." From what I've seen and heard, it's just yet another Maiden live album with a very boring tracklist. Nothing special about it at all.

W

Dave: I totally agree with that. When i first fell for Maiden's music, i was 13. I'm now 18 and they've only been to Glasgow once. i don't really care because they've still been here and i still saw them. That was one of the best nights of my life so far. Whether or not Maiden tour, they are still one of the greatest heavy metal bands ever.

btw, Rock In Rio ruled.

btw2, I don't think the band suggested Edward the Great. It was probably one of the management who suggested and okayed it. but hey, i'm just me and thats just my opinion because i really *don't* think that Maiden are sell-outs.