New Maiden single posted online

ragingsaxmachine said:
Sounds like a return to the roots in some ways. This song really kicks ass. :Smokin:

How can you return to something you never really deviated from in the first place?

Its Maiden. thats all I can really say about it so far. Doesn't grab me the way Wicker Man did (as far as post reunion singles go) but I'll still probably get the album.

I fucking love this! I like Brave New World and Dance of Death but to me nothing has measured up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and to me that was their last amazing album. This song is Maiden all the way but it also sounds like something they have never done before. Listen to the guitars right after the 5:20 mark, my jaw hit the floor. If this is any indication this will be one of the best Maiden albums ever. I am truly excited and cannot wait for this to come out.

I like it. Although it still retains what I don't like about the Kevin Shirley Iron Maiden songs (all the songs starting out slow) i actually liked the intro in this one. Pretty awesome riff too. Having said that,even though I liked this one, they should have some full blown rockers in there, we already got quite a bit of epics from Dance of Death. A bit of an X-factor vibe in this song...

Ok, 3 quick first impressions after a single listen/viewing:

1. Finally they broke away from the "Repeat Song Title x4" on the chorus!
2. Did I just miss it, or is Adrian nowhere to be seen in the video/heard in the song?
3. I like it! Nice little groove going in there...even Bruce and Steve were swaying to the music (like I was) instead of all out 'bangin.

:Smokin:

BlindPanzer said:
Although it still retains what I don't like about the Kevin Shirley Iron Maiden songs (all the songs starting out slow)
Are you saying Keving Shirley is (co-)writing the songs? He's merely their sound engineer. I doubt he has any say as to how their songs should begin, i.e. all slow.

BlindPanzer said:
Although it still retains what I don't like about the Kevin Shirley Iron Maiden songs (all the songs starting out slow) i actually liked the intro in this one.

Iron Maiden has always utilized the slow intro to some extent. It became more prevalent even before Shirley arrived though, starting with The X Factor. I think it's fairly certain it's a result of Harris' songwriting style, it's not due to Shirley.

i don't know if he has any influence but there does seem to be a different vice with albums produced by him. Sorry for my ignorance :).

I liked it. True its not a balls-to-the-wall song, but it is a bit different for them. As long as the whole CD is not midtempo like this song, I think this bodes well.

When the heavy part of the song finally kicked in, I was immediately struck by the guitar sound. Bright and chunky at the same time. I liked it. Nice improvement.