New Maiden Single

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal

Pretty shit tbh. Production is okay but not great. Guitars sound a bit muddy. Bruce sounds great when he finally starts singing during the bridge. The melody under the chorus is quite cool but the whole thing is thoroughly bungled. Solos are of course classic Maiden and Nicko is always an awesome drummer. But ultimately it just feels kind of pointless, the riffs aren't very good and don't do anything interesting, and it's way too long.

All that said, Different World was also kind of shit and it turned out to be both completely different from the rest of the album and far worse. So I'm hoping that's what happened, because I had some real hope for this album.

Also, I think the band sounds a bit darker than even on AMOLAD, which was definitely their darkest album. That could be good or bad. I definitely hear a bit of BNW in the solos, which is definitely good because that was my favorite new-millenium Maiden album.

From their website:
The full tracklisting for the album (total running time 76:35) is:

THE FINAL FRONTIER

1. Satellite 15....The Final Frontier (8:40)
2. El Dorado (6:49)
3. Mother Of Mercy (5:20)
4. Coming Home (5:52)
5. The Alchemist (4:29)
6. Isle Of Avalon (9:06)
7. Starblind (7:48)
8. The Talisman (9:03)
9. The Man Who Would Be King (8:28)
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (10:59)
So it's a bit bloated, no doubt. I was hoping that wouldn't carry over from AMOLAD, but if the single is anything to judge by, it's actually worse. That said, the track titles are definitely interesting. Although I'm curious to know how much of this was written by Bruce, because those all sound like songs that'd be on one of his solo albums.

Oh well. I'm gonna buy it when it comes out, and see them on tour if I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted I never really liked Iron Maiden all that much but I cant believe why anyone would want to listen to a song like the new single. Other stuff the've done I can understand people liking even if I wouldnt choose to listen to it. This song just sounds so tired to me. There is nothing about it that makes it stand out at all.

And I never liked Bruce and he isnt getting better as the years pass by :/

Please break up. I love their old stuff, but they have sucked the last xx years.

My favourite band of all time, worshipped like no other, but this is just plain boring. I didn't even make it through the whole song.

why does it seem like fans of bands are so narrow minded? If you look on Maiden's last.fm page everyone loves the song. What I heard was one of the shittiest maiden songs ever.

Eh, I didn't mind it. Could be worse, could be better. Bruce does sound old and tired though. Funny how he sounds strained in the later studio recordings but seems to sound fine live.

why does it seem like fans of bands are so narrow minded? If you look on Maiden's last.fm page everyone loves the song. What I heard was one of the shittiest maiden songs ever.

That's like asking why homosexuals enjoy gay sex. It defines them, more or less.

Eh, I didn't mind it. Could be worse, could be better. Bruce does sound old and tired though. Funny how he sounds strained in the later studio recordings but seems to sound fine live.

Two words: Kevin Shirley :lol:

And yes, you're right. When they came over in '08, Bruce sounded mindblowing. He sounds terrible on the albums now.

The new single could be a good song, but it sounds like they phoned it in. BNW was the only album in the 21st century Maiden that had some real life to it, because there was the sense of urgency that comes with having something to prove. Now they just seem to be punching the clock, waiting for a pay check.

Is this what Iron Maiden sound like today? What a load of bullshit.

You cant go to any bands official anything and get a nyanced opinion. The people who are there are hardcores who love everything because of the band name alone.