New Maiden thread

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Interesting note in the latest issue of Classic Rock (the prog issue): Bruce says that Maiden may play all of the new album on the tour.

Sounds logical, because for the first time I can't think of what songs on the album they could leave out. As I've said previously, it's the first album since their debut that has no filler.

The magazine also gives the new album 9/10. Brisbane's Courier Mail gave it 3.5 last week. Good reviews all round.

Well there you go.

01. Different World
02. These Colours Don't Run
03. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
04. Pilgrim
05. Longest Day
06. Out of the Shadows
07. Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
08. For the Greater Good of God
09. Lord of Light
10. Legacy
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden
---------------------
13. 2 Minutes to Midnight
14. The Evil that Men Do
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=59770

Not sure what to think about that now... gee. Would have liked to have seen a few more classics. Hopefully they'll add some for the London shows. :headbang:

Then again, the last thing I want to hear at a Maiden gig is Bruce singing Run to the Hills again. Listen to Death on the Road, it's so obvious he's sick to death of it.

And the five they've chosen are all corkers. Sounds like a short show though...

I agree that they picked five great classics and it is cool to see them finally do a show without Run To The Hills and Number Of The Beast, but a few more would be cool. But then, all the AMOLAD tracks add up to a decent length, so it wouldn't be as short a set as it appears.

As I'll be seeing them twice on this tour I won't mind at all. Was hoping they might pull out Wasted Years or something like that though.

And I was really, really hoping that Journeyman would become a mainstay in their setlist.

Well, they haven't done Wasted Years on a regular album tour (ie, not reunion or Give Me 'Ed) since the Fear of the Dark tour.

I wonder how long they'll actually do the full album for. Hmm. It is a short tour so I suppose it might be for all of it. Would depend on how the songs go down live, of course.

I would say for the whole tour and they might mix up the other songs a bit, but if it doesn't go real well they won't do it for anymore dates, if it does go down well, they might do it for more if they DO announce more for 07.

I hadn't realised Wasted Years had been so neglected. It certainly needs to appear again then. Classic track.

i think it's tops.

I think from the band's point of view, it's their most successful album in years that's had good chart positions, great reviews and (for the most part) all the fans think it's a great & special album... plus as most agree, it's such a solid album that it's hard to pick any "stand out tracks" for the live show... so it's easy to understand why they'd decide to play the whole album live.

Also it's a good way to prove that they're not a nostalgia band, doing the same old "greatest hits + one or two singles from the new album" sort of show like many bands of their vintage. They'd be one of the few bands who can get away with even doing as many new songs as they usually do.

have you guys read some of the comments on that blabbermouth article though? Jesus what's up with some of these cretins?

Looks like Maiden are playing the SAME BORING songs they always play. Well gee and a whole new album...

uhhh... way to contradict yourself, idiot.

Great post.

As well as it being the most successful and well recieved album they have done in many years, the band themselves genuinely seem really happy with it. You get that vibe from the way they talk about it on the making of DVD and in interviews, before the public had even heard it.

As for the blabbertossers, that is all they are, tossers. I think the comments part of the site should be removed and all the bullshit should go to the forums.

ceydn said:
What's filler on SSOASS? The Prophecy? But that song is pretty damn awesome.
No way man, thats one of my favourtie songs, I was gonna do a black metal cover of it before my tendonitis kicked in.

Sorry. To this day I don't understand the great appeal of SSOASS, and why it's considered such a benchmark. Sure, maybe some of the albums that followed it aren't as good, but I'm sick to death of people calling every new album they do "their best since Seventh Son". Annoys the hell out of me. One of the most overused cliches in music.

I liked the album when it came out, mainly because it was the first new album that had been released since I had become a fan, but my interest in it has diminished over the years. Moonchild is catchy, Infinite Dreams is clumsy, Can I Play With Madness is fun (but I've always wondered why the dramatic change in lyrics - the first couple of verses seem to be about breaking away from the pack, then suddenly it goes into fantasy mode - did they combine two songs here?), The Evil That Men Do is one of their best ever... and then it goes downhill. The title track? Meh, it's OK. The Prophecy? Filler. The Clairvoyant? Their most overrated song, I'm afraid. Only the Good Die Young? Pretty good.

hartford%20128b.jpg