New Megadeth Song.....

Mustang

The Edge
Sep 15, 2006
Tremont, IL
www.eternity-x.com
recently got to listen to the new Megadeth song “Gears Of War”
it was a live video of it so once recorded it may sound much different than what I heard/seen.
But I so far wasn’t impressed at all. Dave’s vocal’s was disappointing and I kept feeling like something was building and then nothing came of it. Anyone else checked this out yet? If so your thoughts please..

I saw the same video, and like you, I wasn't that impressed. However, I did find the sond somewhere on the net (probably Megadeth's webpage) that had the studio version of the song and it sounded much better.

Ooh Rah .... hahaha. Megadeth is just a little too corporate .. this tune is a jingle for a video game.

The song is uneven .. some of the verse is pretty good, but the chrorus is weak. It's a far cry from the glory days. I did however find their last disc to be pretty solid overall.

Britt

Ooh Rah .... hahaha. Megadeth is just a little too corporate .. this tune is a jingle for a video game.

The song is uneven .. some of the verse is pretty good, but the chrorus is weak. It's a far cry from the glory days. I did however find their last disc to be pretty solid overall.

Britt

It actually isn't a jingle for a video game, since the song isn't on Gears Of War itself nor is it in any of the game's commercials. The game just sponsored Gigantour, so I guess Dave liked it enough to write a song with that name.

For the record, Gears Of War is a great game and there's nothing corporate about promoting something such a solid video game.

As for the song itself, I disagree enitrely. It's VERY similar to their early days.

Sorry 3D, your post makes no sense. You say it's not corporate, but if the video game is a sponsor for Megadeth in any way .. it's still corporate. I've seen some promo stuff on the net showing the video game .. Gears Of War symbol along with the Megadeth name. There's definately a tie in between these two parties. That's pretty corporate. I wouldn't even care about that part of it if the song was good, but in my opinion it sounds like watered down Deth.

If you think the song is great that's cool, but this song reminds me more of Crush Em' than it does "early" Megadeth like Looking Down The Cross, or Wake Up Dead, or really anything from the first several albums. When I first heard this song I thought of Megadeth's worst album .... Risk.

Britt

I think the new song is really sweet. I also got to see a "secret" video from Andy Sneap in the studio with them, and it had clips of MD doing various songs from the new one, and they all sounded really sweet. I'm really looking forward to this disc.

I may be a bit bitter seeing as an ex-girlfriend of mine was a rabid Megadeth fan. But that band never did much for me. I liked the song "Symphony of Destruction" and a few others... but their music is way too straight-forward for my tastes. So when people tell me that the new Megadeth isn't that good... I really never found the old Megadeth that great either. And when I saw them on tour, I really wasn't all that impressed.

When it comes to '80s thrashy metal, I'd much prefer Fates Warning with Jon Arch. But that's just me...

The Michael

I went to Gigantour and they played the new song there, live it rocked. I think Dave has remained a player in the game. Unforturnately, I just heard the new Metallica song and it did not sound good at all.

OK maybe I'm being lazy but who is even in Megadeth these days? The last album that I really thought was outstanding was "Rust In Peace". Great album plus Marty Friedman really added that exotic metal sound with some interesting key/mode influence. I never miss a chance to hear Marty on an album or live. Menza gave a solid performance as well. I have been pretty far removed from Megadeth happenings for quite some time, so out of curiosity I'll give this a listen.