Metallica or Megadeth

Interesting comment as Dave helped write some of the songs on RTL ( I know he's only credited for "Ride the Lightning" & "The Call of Ktulu") but he supposedly contributed to more than that.
Yah but he's got songwriting credits on those albums
We'll never know how much and what Dave contributed. However, I suspect it wasn't a great deal for two reasons...

A. Dave never wrote anything that approaches those discs in terms of quality
B. His own work from that time period sounds nothing like those discs

Zod

Hrmmm....
To slam Metallica on their efforts for mainstream attention is faulty in this discussion. Megadeth tried just as hard. The difference is that they were not as successful. (IE - cartoon shows, WCW theme songs, Ozzfest, bringing Nu Metal bands on the road, changing their logo to a "softer" logo for RISK after Met did it for LOAD, etc, etc).

Also, let's get serious, LOAD and RE-LOAD both are a HELL of a lot more solid than RISK or WORLD NEEDS A HERO.

If you prefer Megadeth's songs overall, that's one thing. I don't think the purpose of the thread was to bring up credibility, because Megadeth is just as guilty. Not Metallica's fault that they were more successful.

NOTHING touches the first 3 Metallica albums, the closest Megadeth has is Peace Sells and Rust In Peace. But overall Megadeth would win, because starting with the Black album Metallica has gone to crap...

Never saw Metallica live but I did see Megadeth live with Al Petrelli on guitar.It was the Maximum Rock tour with Motley Crue and Anthrax,except Anthrax backed out(don't remember why).Anyway,Megadeth was awesome to me.I certainly understand some of the comments on Dave's voice.There are singers that I feel that way about to.I personally love both bands to the point where I couldn't pick between the two.

Metallica, by far.

Though I typically listen to Megadeth more often, as I spent years listening to Metallica when I was younger, though that has changed slightly since Death Magnetic came out.

Megadeth by quite a bit. I like the first 4 Metallica, but I'm always coming back to Megadeth's stuff way more than I do Metallica's.

Plus, Megadeth was the first "true" metal band that I listened to - so they are responsible for me being the metal head that I am today.

Megadeth (well pretend Risk was never made and some of their more recent works). Testament beats all of them though.

Never was big on either of these two bands...sure some good songs for both, just no strong attraction for me either way.
Though, I do own one Megadeth CD and no Metallica CD's so...I guess by the "what I own more of gauge", Megedth wins this one...lol.

Overall the years Megadeth, for historical importance and initial consistency Metallica.

I'll listen to anything on Master of Puppets, And Justice..., Rust in Peace or Youthanasia. The rest is just kind of so-so.

We'll never know how much and what Dave contributed. However, I suspect it wasn't a great deal for two reasons...

A. Dave never wrote anything that approaches those discs in terms of quality
B. His own work from that time period sounds nothing like those discs

Zod

and 3.. if they did sound similar I'd be upset. :)

Megadeth has had some monster albums too in their own end. Peace Sells, SFSGSW, Rust and Countdown seem to be "their" fab 4.