new metal mix... need help

sallieritus

Nov 3, 2007
Well I've just recorded (quite sloppily) a new song I'm testing out. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the song (both melody-wise and tone-wise) but again, just a test song to help me really find a good tone to work with in the future (thats where ya'll come in). I'm thinking I might need to boost some hi's but I wanna know what others think. Used a pod x3 and br-1600...

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/20449_01track1.mp3

yup, a tad more highs, but overall, very good... is that DFH for drums? and what model were you using in the POD?

thanks to the both of you (djabthrash always helpful).. yeah im gonna boost some hi's and hopefully get a new official version done soon. as for my settings, I used the pod 6 x3 presets. One is the "Near and Far L/Near and Far R" preset which uses a line 6 spinal puppet amp with a 4x12 '96 British Celest v30 cab and the other is the "Angel P-ball" preset which uses a 2002 angel p-ball amp with a 4X12 Treadplate cab. For drums I use a drum programmer called pcdrummer and use drum samples for beta monkey music's double bass mania 2.

Guitars sound pretty good. I think they are a little boomy. How are they eq'd post or is there any? I would try taming those a bit around 80-150. Maybe even a high pass around 80hz. There may be some stuff down there that's taking up some unnecessary real estate in the tone. Nothing too major though. Great job! How do you like that X3 so far?

hey thanks rob... yeah I also thought the guitars were a little boomy, especially during the chorus... I do have a 5th probably unnecessary guitar track in the center (2 guitars are 100L/R, 2 80L/R) I use to create a bigger wall of sound. That 5th guitar has a pretty high low boost so perhaps I should cut that track altogether and see how it sounds. As for the x3, I'm really happy with it. The presets sound awesome, something im not too used to and the ability to create two different tones and have one right stereo and the other left stereo is great.