New Mix Day! Engl Invader/Superior2/AmpegSVX/Jackson SLSMG/B tuning

Temps

Aug 13, 2008
It's not a new song though. Lately I just haven't written anything worth recording.. so I just went back and re-did a mix on one of my tunes, and ended up with this. There are a couple parts that could use re-recording but I'm not going to do that today.. was just working on the mix. Was trying to get a guitar tone as ballsy as Lamb of God's is on Wrath except tuned to B, and I think I pulled it off..

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7275400

Guitar is my SLSMG tuned to drop B, the Invader channel 3 on all the guitars, boosted with a BBE Green Screamer, an Ernie Ball bass VST with Ampeg VST on it, Superior 2 on drums with aptrigga & a kick sample replacing the S2 kick.

Sounds good man, though once again I find the snare too snappy/airy (I think I say that for every mix you post :lol: ). Also, there's something about the guitar tone I'm not crazy about that I can't quite put my finger on; I think it feels kinda "hollow," is this through an impulse or did you mic your Orange? Also, I seriously can barely hear the kick at all :erk: I dig the synth/ambient stuff though!

I guess the old mix was the "ENGL Invader test" clip on your soundclick page...
You've definitely progressed alot in your mixes, I really like this one!
Your guitar sound reminds me of my own Invader more than ever.

I'd like to know about your impulse/cab setup as well.
BTW I downloaded your clip as a reference... I'm going to reamp my band's guitar tracks soon (maybe already next week) and I'll use my ENGL Invader 100 with an ENGL XXL cab. Will be nice to have a good sounding Invader recording to compare! :)

Thanks for the comments fellas :)

Sounds good man, though once again I find the snare too snappy/airy (I think I say that for every mix you post :lol: ). Also, there's something about the guitar tone I'm not crazy about that I can't quite put my finger on; I think it feels kinda "hollow," is this through an impulse or did you mic your Orange? Also, I seriously can barely hear the kick at all :erk: I dig the synth/ambient stuff though!

The snare is the bane of my existence.. I ran through about 10 different mixes on all my sets of speakers just changing the snare mixing :lol: I like the impact it has now but it still isn't there yet. This is an impulse, I have mic'd Orange tracks for this tune but I didn't like how they turned out and haven't had an opportunity to crank my amp up and re-record them.

I guess the old mix was the "ENGL Invader test" clip on your soundclick page...
You've definitely progressed alot in your mixes, I really like this one!
Your guitar sound reminds me of my own Invader more than ever.

I'd like to know about your impulse/cab setup as well.
BTW I downloaded your clip as a reference... I'm going to reamp my band's guitar tracks soon (maybe already next week) and I'll use my ENGL Invader 100 with an ENGL XXL cab. Will be nice to have a good sounding Invader recording to compare! :)

I used a Recabinet impulse on this one, it is a Mesa oversize 4x12 with a SM57 on the dust cap 0.5" away from the grill. EL34 power section.. then I EQ it with a huge spike in the treble because recabi impulses are very dark. Don't forget the bass sound too.. on this one I used the SVT-Classic model with a ton of gain and compression on it, in the AmpegSVX plugin.