New Mix: Hysteria by Muse (Axe Fx, Carvin)

right_to_rage

Feb 16, 2009
Whats up sneap forum? I've done a new recording of one of my favorite Muse songs, mainly because of all of the crazy guitar sounds and the wicked bass line. I recorded this with my brand new Carvin Fatboy, and a bunch of new Axe Fx patches. I also got to make good use of the Bombardier Compressor, so check it out! :popcorn:
Photo%2035.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4125712/Muse%20-%20Hysteria%20%28intrumental%20cover%29.mp3

I just listened through my crappy Creatives,so can't suggest much. I liked the tones you got there,especially the bass!! Can you share some info on how you got that sound? Especially that "high-synth" bass (I hope you understand what I mean,I can't describe it exactly as it is..). The only thing I have to say is that I think Muse played with different delay times on the solo. I have a Total Guitar describing it,so I'll check it and post the info I find if you're interested

Sure, the bass is routed a few different ways. The first line is direct to the mixer through a graphic eq that boosts lows and cuts highs, but before the GEQ the signal also splits off into a compressor, a low pass filter and another GEQ for a little more sculpting. The second line is Compressor -> 1/2 BB PRE stomp 1/2 RAT DIST -> SV BASS amp block -> 8x10 cab and 1x12 cab for mids -> comp, lpf, and geq. They all are blended together and compressed in the end!

The synth sound is a separate software synth in Logic, and I programmed the bass line into it. I just messed around with an EXS24 preset called 'fat saw bass' and came up with that, but I'm pretty sure Muse's bass player uses an actual live synth in his signal chain. :Smokedev:

Oh and I'd love to hear about those delay time tricks. I'm not trying to copy the original sound exactly, more trying to improve my mixing skills, but it sounds cool! :D

Thanks dude!! I found the Total Guitar I told you. It's the March 2005 #133, page 104. It says:

"The solo features the Whammy pedal for the extra octave above the played notes and starts with some double-picked lines. After the 8 bars there is a section based on simple triads (three-note chords). The effects used at this point are a lot more complicated than the the notes played. All of a sudden, the 'octave up' notes are separated from the main signal and fed into a delay, which is then processed with a different distortion setting. The delay is set so that these higher notes appear about a quaver (8th note) after the main guitar signal."

Excellent! I did do something similar with a octave pitch set a 1/4 note delay, but it was low in the mix, and I was also running a multidelay. It would have been neat to make that distinction like they did on the recording. Thanks for the info!

lol nope, not really bad but it was a 320kps Mp3 though. Yeah I know realized after that I didn't play some of the solo correctly, but it was more of a mix thing. Any comments on the mix?