New mix: Oceana style rock band. Tear it apart! DFHS/6505

Oceana indeed lol. I love it dude. Info on guitars and drums?

Guitar was an MH-1000 with an 85 in the bridge > Maxon OD-9 > 6505 > peavey cab with a v30 cab mic'd at the dustcap-speaker crease.

Drums were DFHS, with slate samples. Snare was 11z1, and the kick I think was an Atreyu sample, if I can recall correctly.

Thanks for the kind words, man!

Guitar was an MH-1000 with an 85 in the bridge > Maxon OD-9 > 6505 > peavey cab with a v30 cab mic'd at the dustcap-speaker crease.

Drums were DFHS, with slate samples. Snare was 11z1, and the kick I think was an Atreyu sample, if I can recall correctly.

Thanks for the kind words, man!

Yeah man :D sounds great.

the clean vocals were cool, the guitars could be a bit phatter, the snare needs work I think too much snap to it.

apart from that cool stuff man, reminds me of PoisonTheWell/As I Lay Dying, not hugely original but hey.

finally my style of music :) i like it dude, keep it up, any other posts you have similar to this?

This is a great mix. I would prefer a little more hi-end on the vocals. Try a spatial enhancer to widen the guitars during the chorus a little. Hi-Hats a little louder, toms a little less dull. You'll be perfect.

the clean vocals were cool, the guitars could be a bit phatter, the snare needs work I think too much snap to it.

apart from that cool stuff man, reminds me of PoisonTheWell/As I Lay Dying, not hugely original but hey.

Thanks for the suggestions! I always have to cut out a huge amount of high end from the slate samples. Guess even moreso now!

very pro sounding man.;)
info about bass settings?

Bass was an American P-Bass into a Sansamp. If I can recall, the blend was at full, bass just past noon, treble and presence at about noon, and drive almost off. Thanks for the kind words!

finally my style of music :) i like it dude, keep it up, any other posts you have similar to this?

Unfortunately nothing recent. =\ Most of the stuff I've been doing has been mostly metal/hardcore. Thanks for the nice words, though! :worship:

This is a great mix. I would prefer a little more hi-end on the vocals. Try a spatial enhancer to widen the guitars during the chorus a little. Hi-Hats a little louder, toms a little less dull. You'll be perfect.

Thanks, man! I'll try to add some more highs to the vox. What would you suggest to widen the guitars? There is already a fair bit of widening on the stereo bus. I agree about the toms, too. This was a shot at making the DFHS toms sound good on their own without jumping right to samples. They need work fo sho! I'll add an updated mix tonight.

Thanks all!
Daniel

Thanks, man! I'll try to add some more highs to the vox. What would you suggest to widen the guitars? There is already a fair bit of widening on the stereo bus. I agree about the toms, too. This was a shot at making the DFHS toms sound good on their own without jumping right to samples. They need work fo sho! I'll add an updated mix tonight.
Daniel

I wouldn't widen the master bus itself, I would just widen specific tracks that need that "push." That way it will be a little LESS cohesive in the fact that you have that widness seperating the tonal flavours. Think like a hamburger (not McDonalds); there's quite a fair bit of bun, a itty bit of cheese, lettuce, tomato then a massive piece of meat and more bun. Imagine if all the layers were even? It wouldn't be much like a hamburger!

can you give info on the verb? I love the space for the vocals in this mix

also I would say lower the toms and add verb to them as well.

I wouldn't widen the master bus itself, I would just widen specific tracks that need that "push." That way it will be a little LESS cohesive in the fact that you have that widness seperating the tonal flavours. Think like a hamburger (not McDonalds); there's quite a fair bit of bun, a itty bit of cheese, lettuce, tomato then a massive piece of meat and more bun. Imagine if all the layers were even? It wouldn't be much like a hamburger!

Such a good analogy! Thanks a ton for that! So, instead, maybe widen the guitars and maybe the overheads a bit and leave everything else? Thanks for the tip!

I would shoot for that. Just make sure the overheads aren't too wide and that the guitars get bigger in the chorus with some automation. I love Oceana, so giving input on this kinda music is right up my alley.

can you give info on the verb? I love the space for the vocals in this mix

also I would say lower the toms and add verb to them as well.

The entire drum bus is run through RVerb. Think it needs more or just the toms?

Also, the vocals are through RVerb as well. On insert, not aux send, larger room, I think about 5-7% mix.

The entire drum bus is run through RVerb. Think it needs more or just the toms?

Also, the vocals are through RVerb as well. On insert, not aux send, larger room, I think about 5-7% mix.

Everything sounds like it has the perfect amount, just the toms sound very up front and loud, and the stereo spread seems a bit wide too. Lowering the volume and adding verb will make them gel