New mix with a new TOY!

well done Joshua this mix kicks ass ;)
Fat and punchy!
Mind sharing some info about guitar tone and in general ?

Guitar was a esp eclipse 1000 with emg 81 and drop C tunning if i remember correct. Then into Countryman type 85 dir into digi 002 mic pre. I used the pod farm Diamond plate with Trendplate cab and Just high and low pass on each guitar. The guitar buss, i used waves ssl comp and I don't recall what settings i used, but it would only compress on some chugs and that was about it. So very light compression if any at all on most parts. Thats it really nothing to fancy....

Were these live drums with samples? Any info on the mastering you wanna give details on..it'd be great. :)

Were these live drums with samples? Any info on the mastering you wanna give details on..it'd be great. :)

Yes they were live drums with slate samples on top. I used Slate Snare (actually called Slate) on this one and i really like that snare! Im not sure if thats a new snare in 3.0 but its gave me the vibe i was looking for on this track.

Mastering chain was:

Waves SSL
C4
Finalizer Express
Ozone

sounds awesome, dude. which sample for kick?

band reminds me of misery signals

I used Kick 10 with waves ssl doing some comp and eq work.

You hit the nail on the head about Misery Signals. I was wondering if anyone was going to make the reference to them. I also used there Cd for a reference and though it sounds nothing like Devin's mix, I think this mix works well for the band. I'm happy.....

Awesome, nice beef and powerful. I can't believe this guitar tone was achieved with pod farm. Nice

I used Kick 10 with waves ssl doing some comp and eq work.

You hit the nail on the head about Misery Signals. I was wondering if anyone was going to make the reference to them. I also used there Cd for a reference and though it sounds nothing like Devin's mix, I think this mix works well for the band. I'm happy.....

Yeah, the music is definitely similar. I like the guitar tone you dialed in better than the one on Controller actually. The mix on that album sounds pretty good overall (and I really like the clean guitar sections) but it kinda has a super compressed fuzzy sound to the guitars... Your guitars sound better... they sound clearer, and the chugs sound meaner. haha. I think maybe bringing the bass up more would help give a little of that low end groove the Controller cd has without the fuzzy guitars, but that's just a matter of taste, sounds great as is.

great mix, and production. I like how the drums don't dominate but still present. What is your effects chain on vocals?

very well done joshua!

although i would love slightly more bottom end, this is very cool and clean!
:headbang:

i listened to a song you produced and i know this is off topic,
but could you tell me what you used on the guitar for somethings got to give by last encore? really like the smooth palm mutes on that! :worship:

sounds good dude!

Seems to be an issue with the overheads. I can hear the crashes fine sometimes, but when he's riding on a crash the cymbals disappear. Either he's not hitting the crashes at a consistent velocity, or he is using a ride as his main crash(which is what it sounds like to me). I always make drummers use the crashes as a crash and the ride as a ride. Otherwise you get a really washing sounding cymbal that never properly cuts through the mix.

Yep, I need to start getting on drummers when they use the ride as a crash.

Ive even had a drummer using a ride cymbal in place of his crash (so he had 2 rides) just because he said "they do not break as easy". So not having Cymbals for people like this kinda sucks. So in the end I'm stuck trying to make a ride sound good as a crash.

But yea i do need to focus more on getting a good cymbal performance from drummers. I'm usually just focusing on them just playing to the click track right. So I'm happy when they do that and unfortunately, i let the cymbal performance slide a bit. Time to step up my game on that end, thanks for pointing that out Brian! :kickass: